Here we go center console sub enclosure build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have close to $60 in mat and $65 in resin right now. I don't see myself needing anymore mat, but I may need to buy another gallon of resin (wouldn't use it all on this project). The birch for the ring was $25, and the router bit was $20.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM

Day 6:

I managed to get 9 layers down on the base as well last night, I am going to wait for it to dry and see how strong they are. I was planning on 10 to 15 layers, but I am feeling confident that this will be strong enough as is. I am using a thicker mat this time around as well, so I know it will be stronger. I am thinking that I will probably be trimming up everything this evening and possibly mounting the sub to the base getting ready to put the two halves together. I am hoping that tomorrow night I can get the two halves together, so I can focus on some of the cosmetics that the box will be getting, such as lighting, and the plexiglass insert, I am also going to be getting my contact switches in this weekend.

I figure I should at least have the amps and all speaker wire runs done and in the truck this weekend. I have the molex plug connector which makes life hell, so I will have to drill some new holes in the door and the chassis to get the speaker wires through to the doors. I will be laying sound dampener over the weekend; I don’t think I will have the clay in time to put the clay around my speaker mid base rings, and to help add mass to the center console.

9 layers of mat on base plate:

Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! This is really looking good. It's going to be sick when it's all finished.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Now that's what I am talking about.... Make a mess!!! I am glad I am not the only one.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM

It looks worse then it really is but ya right now my garage is a terrible mess.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Estimated finished time?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM

I am going to be trimming things up and mounting the sub on the base tonight. I will try to get them both together or at least started to. I won't have it completely done until my contact switches get here so I can wire in the LED's to light the box's interior. I will have a rough finished box by the end of the weekend hopefully a finished entire install by next weekend.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are using the DIYMA 12 correct? Can you tell me what the mounting depth of that beast is, assuming top mounting position?

I ordered two today....

Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 PM

I saw that in Npdangs thread, and they are 6.3" for physical sub space, .5-.75" for the pole vent on the back of the sub (its a beast and needs space), and the x-max for it is about .875" or just over that. I am almost ready to get that thing in the truck I can't wait. I also plan on buying a couple more for a rainy day.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
I am going to be trimming things up and mounting the sub on the base tonight. I will try to get them both together or at least started to. I won't have it completely done until my contact switches get here so I can wire in the LED's to light the box's interior. I will have a rough finished box by the end of the weekend hopefully a finished entire install by next weekend.
Awesome! can't wait to see it all finished up!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ARCuhTEK
You are using the DIYMA 12 correct? Can you tell me what the mounting depth of that beast is, assuming top mounting position?

I ordered two today....

They are like 6.5 deep...but the magnet is GINORMOUS. Like 8 inches wide. They weigh 37 pounds each. But they also sound amazing, I loved them.

Seat lift Arc? otherwise you'll never fit them.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Seat lift Arc? otherwise you'll never fit them.
Nope...not for the F150. I have not plans for the two DIYMA 12's. Have no idea why I bought them. But the price was almost ridiculously cheap. Had to.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 AM
This is gonna kick a**

Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 AM
I am so lost as to what you are doing right now. 'course I've been out whooping it up since 830 pm, so It's my fault right now. I'll be checking it out at our next gtg, whenever we do it. I feel so incompetent compared to your build. Nice job!!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM

Day 7:

Well last night I got it all trimmed and was ready to put the two halves together but I did not like the way it was going together so I decided to sacrifice about .15 ft^3 and went about making a different base plate. This will now put my enclosure down to about .6 ft^3 so I plan on adding a bit of poly fill to the front lip area to help gain some of what I lost hopefully. I managed to get 7 layers down on the new base plate last night, leaving me with only to seal off the last little bit of front chamber. I am hoping to get that done first thing tonight leaving me with only the painting and cutting the openings out.

Measuring out the new base plate:

After the glassing:

I also tackled the rear air delete plug last night as well, it has been sitting on the back burner since I first made the mold.

Tonight I am planning on finishing up the box (seriously this time), and getting the plexiglass window trimmed and set in. Once I get the plexiglass window opening made in the box I am going to give it until Sunday to cure a little bit more. I am also going to be painting the entire enclosure a tan color that will hopefully match the interior tan. I am going to be installing the rest of the audio equipment this weekend while I am waiting for the box to cure. So this weekend will still be busy but there won’t be much done with the box.

Quick Reply: Here we go center console sub enclosure build