Boston's Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston's Worth it?

Well, I have the oportunity to buy the 1000$ components for A LOT cheaper, buddy at an authorized dealer. I have never ventured into that much price in speakers. Are they worth the extra money compared to like a good 300$ set of components? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
Well, I have the oportunity to buy the 1000$ components for A LOT cheaper, buddy at an authorized dealer. I have never ventured into that much price in speakers. Are they worth the extra money compared to like a good 300$ set of components? Any info would be appreciated.
Which model Boston's?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that would help.

They are the Reference series Z6's.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boston makes a very good speaker, and they take their car audio seriously, but I dont know if its worth $700 more than its closest competitor!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I do not know how much you are looking at paying but, they sell on ebay for around $500 shipped. Granted that is non authorized. The Z6 is suppose to be awesome. Maybe the best Boston has ever made. They are suppose to be better than the older Pro series. The newer Pro series are not getting great marks. Even authorized, I would not pay much more than $500 for them and even then, there are others for less that are probably very comparable. Rainbow Germaniums come to mind.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I think the reference series is a great speaker. Just be sure and drive them with plenty of clean power. I found them to be a little bright, and adjusted them accordingly. Either way, they make a great product and you will be pleased.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Thank you all for the responses. They are 600 installed. I saw them cheaper on E-bay but these are from an authorized dealer so I felt that to be worth something to me anyway. As for amps I think I will be heading the Arc Audio path, have heard really nothing but good stuff about the amps.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
The Z6s are a darn good comp set...for $500, but not $1000. They have great midbass, especially in a properly sealed/deaden door. They are bright IMO and harsh at higher listening levels. They can handle gobs of power, so make sure you get an amp to power them good. Also, the xovers are pretty versatile so that's another plus.

Enjoy!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I own a set of the Z6's and love them. I would strongly suggest using an eq with them because they are extremely detailed and will play the bad as well as the good. For some people, they may consider them harsh because of this, and an eq can clean that up quickly. They are a 3 ohm set so you will get a little more power out of your amp, and they can handle all you can give them. I ran them on the big 2 channel eclipse 370x2 amp at almost full range and never had a problem. When they go back into my f150 I will be powering them with a rockford 25tolife power 1000 w/ the 4 channels bridged to 2. I think they are the best 6" drivers out there period. I might be a little biased since they have one of my installs on their website, but I still believe they are one of the best.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by nothinbutaford
I own a set of the Z6's and love them. I would strongly suggest using an eq with them because they are extremely detailed and will play the bad as well as the good. For some people, they may consider them harsh because of this, and an eq can clean that up quickly. They are a 3 ohm set so you will get a little more power out of your amp, and they can handle all you can give them. I ran them on the big 2 channel eclipse 370x2 amp at almost full range and never had a problem. When they go back into my f150 I will be powering them with a rockford 25tolife power 1000 w/ the 4 channels bridged to 2. I think they are the best 6" drivers out there period. I might be a little biased since they have one of my installs on their website, but I still believe they are one of the best.
Yeah, no matter how I tweaked them...they were still a little harsh for my taste. They are a great set none the less. The mids are a really good driver, but you really ought to hear my drivers.

Quick Reply: Boston's Worth it?