Seat Lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Lift

Can anyone tell me what exactly a seat lift consists of? I have a 05 SuperCrew 4x4. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase one and is it easy to install? Im doing this to install 2 10' subs.

Thanks
David

Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by rednecksims
Can anyone tell me what exactly a seat lift consists of? I have a 05 SuperCrew 4x4. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase one and is it easy to install? Im doing this to install 2 10' subs.

Thanks
David
Several of the vendors who sell under-the-seat enclosures include some kind of lift kit with their enclosures. Or you can look here; http://www.lmiwelding.com/highrider.htm

Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by 97f250
Several of the vendors who sell under-the-seat enclosures include some kind of lift kit with their enclosures. Or you can look here; http://www.lmiwelding.com/highrider.htm
You have got to be void of any skill at all to want to spend $125.00 plus shipping for the load their serving. I mean really? You could make your own for less the twenty bucks. Those freaking lifts LMI has cost as much as a under the seat custom box for dual subs. And I think they clash big time with the stock ones above them.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by RkyMtnFordFan
You have got to be void of any skill at all to want to spend $125.00 plus shipping for the load their serving. I mean really? You could make your own for less the twenty bucks. Those freaking lifts LMI has cost as much as a under the seat custom box for dual subs. And I think they clash big time with the stock ones above them.
I own a machine and fab shop and have 20 years in the business. Sorry, but, you are not going to make all the parts and get the quality of the LMI kit for $20 bucks. Sure, if you want to cut some wood blocks maybe but, nothing close to their quality fit and finish.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by dconder
I own a machine and fab shop and have 20 years in the business. Sorry, but, you are not going to make all the parts and get the quality of the LMI kit for $20 bucks. Sure, if you want to cut some wood blocks maybe but, nothing close to their quality fit and finish.
I agree with what you say. I suppose what I'm saying is I work in the Industrial PVF Industry, and for less then $20.00 I purchased 4' of 1-1/4 mild steel square tube, 4-black plastic end caps, 4-10mmx1.5x70mm plated cap screws, 2-12mmx1.5x120mm plated cap screws. Had a can of primer and a can of flat black spray paint on my garage shelf. Put a hole in one side of one cut pc of tube big enough for the bolt, above it a hole big enough to access the bolt and then attached the second tube over it and to the top of stock bracket. Then used a cut pc of tubing as a spacer dowel for attachment of the two rear bolts near back of cab. And it all looks like it belongs there. And maybe not the LMI unit and I apologize, because you are correct, but my setup is sure better then the cheese you get with a box on-line because they are made of wood most of the time. Still.........I would never spend that kind of money just to lift something two inches I'm to much of a McGiver and the extra $105.00 plus shipping in my pocket is a good thing. (and not having to explain the charge to the wife is a bonus). And by the way, even though I work in the Pipe & Tube Industry I still got all the above at Home Depot, so I have no advantage over anyone ;-) But LMI deserves to make a fair mark up and I of all should realize that as you do...so point taken my friend.

(and as a side note I would like to add that the lift on top of the stock bracket like I did it to me looks better and more OEM then LMI's setup. You can over engineer anything if you want to;-) But I have always looked up to and been fascinated by machinist just because of my love of fabrication! You guys rule!

Last edited by RkyMtnFordFan; 05-06-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Does doing this void any warrenties? Also can it be removed if I ever decide to take the speakers out?

Thanks
David

Old 05-06-2006, 05:23 PM
While on this subject, I've had several seat lifts, and they all leave a little to be desired, in terms of "looking" good. I think the best way to lift the seat would be to make a complete new bracket from floor to seat instead of an "add on" type of thing. I'm working on a plan right now to eliminate the 40% section of my rear seat for a nice enclosure and single sub. No one ever is in my rear seat anyway. Maybe I'll just get rid of the whole thing. That would certainly make room for amp racks, enclosures, etc.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:44 PM
While on this subject, I've had several seat lifts, and they all leave a little to be desired, in terms of "looking" good. I think the best way to lift the seat would be to make a complete new bracket from floor to seat instead of an "add on" type of thing. I'm working on a plan right now to eliminate the 40% section of my rear seat for a nice enclosure and single sub. No one ever is in my rear seat anyway. Maybe I'll just get rid of the whole thing. That would certainly make room for amp racks, enclosures, etc.
Thats a great idea. I was thinking of doing just that a while back but got another sub and the two sound soooooo good I almost freaked instantly as to now there was the worry I would lose it to theft. My new box when installed hopefully later this weekend will make the most of the available room under there and be bolted down so well that at least the smash and grab guys can't get it or get a chance to poke a hole in the woofer when they can't. Good luck! Nice to know there are many of us weekend fabricators out there. Nice to engineer your own part even if when shown to the wife she does not get the true art involved ;-) and just rolls her eyes.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Has anybody done or thought of just adding a few washers or some type of spacer? Would the screws be long enough to do this?

Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Seat Lift

Please! Any of you guys out there who have come up with an alternative to the LMI kit, please post a plan and materials list. I also want a seat lift, but don't want to spend the money LMI wants for their kit. Hell, that money would buy a nice set of custom seat covers, or is almost half of the cost of a tuner.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
seat lift

Look in the classifieds

Old 05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
From what I've read the LMI kit only raises the seat bottom, and leaves the seat back in the same place. Is that a correct statement? Also, does this mess up access to the baby seat brackets? I want to fit as much speaker as I can under my back seat, but with a baby on the way I need access to those!

Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also very interested in lifting my back seat using some good ole inginuity.I've just finished building a custom computer in my truck to play mp3's and such.I'm about to start on the audio upgrades and from every angle that I can see....that back seats going to have to come up a few inches if i want subs!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Kinda what i did...

I took another 40% and replaced my 60%, almost a dirrect bolt on.

Then built a box that fit that open area in the center

It easily houses two 12" subs

Check my sig for my full write up thread.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Seat Lift