Need education/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need education/suggestions

I am looking to upgrade the from the stock stereo in my truck. I am still going back and forth between HU yet. As for the speakers, I like the sound of Infinitys. Is there a big difference between the Reference and the Kapps? I am planning on putting an amp to these. Nothing too serious, maybe 50 to 75 watts? What do I need to look for in speakers? I found a deal on an amp, the RMS wattage is 65? Boy, I really don't know what I am looking at? lol. I would like to possibly add a small sub at some point. (I do have an MTX thunderform to get rid of) But I have the main unit for my siren (fire dept) under my rear seat, so that could be an issue. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks. Eric

Old 07-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welp Iv never heard a head to head comparo between the Reference and the Kappa's so I cant tell ya there. Might wanna check out Ikesound.com (I think thats the right one) they usually have Infinity speakers pretty cheap.

Also, do you like rear fill or not(having the rear speakers playing).
If you can get by without it, its best not to have it (ruins your staging, imaging etc., not a big deal if its just a daily driver or anything), however its just a personal preference. Like I was saying, if you can get by without rear speakers, a nice pair of components on a 2 channel amp works wonders. Plus you will save money not having to buy a 4 channel and extra set of speakers for the rear. More money for sub/s, sub amp, higher quality stuff, whatever you wanna spend it on.

How much space does the siren thingy take up under the seat?

Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 AM
The siren is 12in x 9in and 3.25 in tall. I would like to keep the set up fairly simple. HU, amp and door speakers. I am ust going for a cleaner sound then stock.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by FFEric224
I am looking to upgrade the from the stock stereo in my truck. I am still going back and forth between HU yet. As for the speakers, I like the sound of Infinitys. Is there a big difference between the Reference and the Kapps? I am planning on putting an amp to these. Nothing too serious, maybe 50 to 75 watts? What do I need to look for in speakers? I found a deal on an amp, the RMS wattage is 65? Boy, I really don't know what I am looking at? lol. I would like to possibly add a small sub at some point. (I do have an MTX thunderform to get rid of) But I have the main unit for my siren (fire dept) under my rear seat, so that could be an issue. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks. Eric
It depends on your budget and the importance you place on sound quality, but if the quality of sound is a big deal for you, then I suggest taking a serious look at a HU with high voltage, low ohm preamp outputs. Example, Eclipse makes HUs with 8 volt, 55 ohm pre outs. They are NOT $129 at Wally World, however. Those kinds of HUs typically have 1.5 or 2 volt pre outs at over 100 ohms. There are dozens of nice HUs in between those extremes. The higher voltage enables you to use less gain on your amp to achieve the amp's rated power. End result is better SQ. Coupled with an appropriate amp, a nice HU is one of the keys to great sound quality CAPABILITY. The importance of this is often overlooked.Then adding quality throughout the rest of the system can turn that capabiltiy into reality. Since you intend to add an amp, the Kappas are the choice between those two speakers mentioned. The Reference is certainly better than stock, but is little more than average when compared to other speakers available. By the way, what amp are you considering? Again, if SQ is important you, avoid the "el cheapo, flea market types" like the plague. Pretty decent amps can be had without robbing a bank. Someone on this forum will give good advice if we know your budget AND exactly what you want your system to do for you. After all, you will be the one listening to it, so it ultimately should be what you want.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the advice so far guys. As far as how much I want to spend? The HU that I been looking at were the Pioneer DEH P6700MP or the Alpine CDA-9851. As far as the speakers, I am leaning towards the Kappas. As far as an amp, I saw some deals on Ebay, like an Alpine MRV-F345, 75w 4 channel. Would this be a decent way to go? I just want it sound good. As far as a sub, I been to see what I can do with the siren, etc. Thanks again guys. Eric

Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by FFEric224
Thanks for the advice so far guys. As far as how much I want to spend? The HU that I been looking at were the Pioneer DEH P6700MP or the Alpine CDA-9851. As far as the speakers, I am leaning towards the Kappas. As far as an amp, I saw some deals on Ebay, like an Alpine MRV-F345, 75w 4 channel. Would this be a decent way to go? I just want it sound good. As far as a sub, I been to see what I can do with the siren, etc. Thanks again guys. Eric
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. FYI, Crutchfield has Alpine SPR-574A speakers right now for 1/2 price. Full manufacturer's warranty and you will get everything needed for the installation at no charge. Those are as good as the Kappas, in my opinion. However, because of power handling, the Kappas would be a better match for the amp mentioned. Either way, those choices are good.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I have the Kappas in my Mustang and the Reference series in my truck. The improvement over the stock speakers will make any speaker that you choose worth the money. I bought the reference series 5.25" components for $100 a set, so I went with them. They are running off my head unit (40w Panasonic, so they are probably seeing around 20w), but going from 4 speakers to 8 definitely made a big difference. The Kappas in my car sound slightly better, but I am pushing more to them with an amp also. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Cool I have these in my truck

I bought these and I love'em!!

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15372

Next will be the h/u and then, maybe an amp. with subs.