component speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
component speaker install

can someone post pictures or details of the installation for component speakers on a 2004 f150? I am wondering if the tweeters will mount in existing holes and what kind of wiring is back there behind the doors... My truck has the standard stereo system.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I installed a whole new set of wires thru the factory grommets/pass thru's to the doors. It really wasn't that hard. The speaker grilles on the front just snap off (look for a notch toward the top of the grill that you can fit a flat screwdriver into). I mounted my tweeter in the factory tweeter hole, and I mounted the midbass in the 5x7 hole. I was in too much of a hurry to take pics tho...

Gary

Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I didnt think there was too much too it. I will be using the factory head unit for now. Where do you mount the crossover (Separates the output to the speakers)? What's the best way to use the factory wire and harness in the door or should i run new wire. Sorry for the uninformed posts!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by gobra
Yeah, I didnt think there was too much too it. I will be using the factory head unit for now. Where do you mount the crossover (Separates the output to the speakers)? What's the best way to use the factory wire and harness in the door or should i run new wire. Sorry for the uninformed posts!!!
I mounted my crossovers under the power lock and widow switches...there is plenty of room there and its 100% water proof. Just pop the cover off and there you go. As for the wireing...I used the existing wires and got harness adapters from Crutchfield. The factory wireing is plenty good enough for what your trying to do.

You will almost certainly have to open the tweeter holes up a little. I used a hole saw on the end of my drill....it took like 15seconds and was totaly clean. Then use the flush mount bracket that comes with the tweeter to mount them in the hole. There is alot more room behind the tweeters than in front (the grill is almost flush with the opening).

One other tip...there is a small gap at the top of the mid woofer....you can run your wires through there to your crossover and then back to your mid woofer (see the little bit of red at the top of the speaker below). The wires for the tweeter will be very easy to run to your crossover if you put it under the door lock switches.

Here is a pic of my componets installed:

There are a lot more pics of my sound system in my gallery:
"RamSS/T's Screw on 24s!"

Old 01-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Great post! Thanks for the pics your setup looks sweet (and expensive!). I assume that i will have to take the complete door panel off for this but from what i read, that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by gobra
Great post! Thanks for the pics your setup looks sweet (and expensive!). I assume that i will have to take the complete door panel off for this but from what i read, that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Thanks!
Thanks! But no you do not have to take the door panel off. All you have to do is take the speaker grille off and pop the light switch cover up (just put a flat blade screw driver in at the corner and pry up and it will pop off). Then run your wires like I suggested and your good to go!

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by RamSS/T
I mounted my crossovers under the power lock and widow switches...there is plenty of room there and its 100% water proof. Just pop the cover off and there you go. As for the wireing...I used the existing wires and got harness adapters from Crutchfield. The factory wireing is plenty good enough for what your trying to do.

You will almost certainly have to open the tweeter holes up a little. I used a hole saw on the end of my drill....it took like 15seconds and was totaly clean. Then use the flush mount bracket that comes with the tweeter to mount them in the hole. There is alot more room behind the tweeters than in front (the grill is almost flush with the opening).

One other tip...there is a small gap at the top of the mid woofer....you can run your wires through there to your crossover and then back to your mid woofer (see the little bit of red at the top of the speaker below). The wires for the tweeter will be very easy to run to your crossover if you put it under the door lock switches.

Here is a pic of my componets installed:

There are a lot more pics of my sound system in my gallery:
"RamSS/T's Screw on 24s!"
Do you happen to know the part number for the adapters? I assume they plug into the factory harness and give you free ends to attach to the croosover? I've looked at the Crutchfield website and can't find them. A little help? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
put the speakers in the cart and go to checkout. They will show up there. they are $17 with shipping by themselves. I ordered the reference 6800 cs speakers off ebay $115 shipped. Crutchfield wanted about $170 shipped. I will get the adapters from cc, $6.99.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by aplomb
Do you happen to know the part number for the adapters? I assume they plug into the factory harness and give you free ends to attach to the croosover? I've looked at the Crutchfield website and can't find them. A little help? Thanks.

Thats right....one end plugs into the speaker harness and you can hook to other end into crossover (or straight to a speaker if your not doing components).
I don't know the part # for the adapters right off hand but if you call them and ask for them they can get them for you. If all you are getting is the adapters you are probably better off getting them from CC or Best Buy to save shipping. They are kind of expensive for what they are but they are very convient and make it very easy to put the factory speakers back in when you get ready to get rid of your truck.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I went to best but and was told that they didn't have them. I went to Curcuit City and was given the wrong ones. I can't get a break.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Suspended
Anyone have any recomendations on a componnet speaker set to run off the stock head unit? I MIGHT upgrade later though and put an amp with it.

Quick Reply: component speaker install