woofer placement for extended cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool woofer placement for extended cab

My audio guy told me about a "lift kit" for the rear seat so a bigger box can fit. He has a box to fit under the back seat for a 10" woofer but he said that he can fit a 15" with the lift kit. Has anyone seen one of these installed. I might give the mother-in-law more leg room.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,green (Don't know what it's called exactly), towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,Lund deflector, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry. Lot's of mods to come.

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992.htm

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Old 10-05-1999, 09:03 AM
The name of the place that makes the lift kit is LMI Welding I beleive. I think the website is www.lmiwelding.com but do a search through the archives for LMI and it should find it.

The lift kit is a good idea, but it's ugly. They make a 2", 3" & 4" lift kit. When I get my box built, I'm going to go get custom made brackets froma local fabricator. I think I can get something made for less that $100, the price of the lift kits and I'm sure they will look much better.

As for putting 15's under the seat, that would be cool, but the only way you would be able to do that and still see the floor would be to have them fire straight up, and with that you may not be able to get enough room in the box to make it sound good. I'm having a custom box built that's going to house 3 10" subs and fire straight down into the floor panel. I'll definately have pics once I'm done for everyone to see...

Corey

------------------
Silver 99 F150 XLT Sport with Flare Sides...
Mods: K&N Air Filter, Tinted Side Windows, Reese Class 3, Pioneer Deck, Zapco Amp, JL Audio ('nuff said.)
Coming soon: Herculiner Bed Liner, Solid Tonneau Cover

Old 10-05-1999, 11:26 AM
Thumbs up

I have the 2" rear seat lift from LMI in my '99 extended cab. With the 2" lift installed, the distance from the floor to the lowest part of the rear seat is about 8", so you can build a box that's about 16.5" wide by 7" tall by 11.5" deep (you could go deaper if you don't mind it sticking out from under the rear seat a little bit). I used those dimensions and built two sealed enclosures, one on each side of the transmission hump with my amp inbetween them, each with a volume of around .45 cubic feet if I remember right. I don't think the lift kit looks too bad, but it probably depends what color your interior is. The kit is powdercoated, but it looks more like a really dark grey than black. I have the dark graphite (dark grey) interior, so it looks pretty nice in my truck. If you have any questions, let me know.

------------------
99 F150 X-Cab 4x4 SB, 5.4L V8, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Dark Graphite, ORP, 3.73 LS, Tow Pkg, Captain's Chairs, AIRAID, Luvernve Stainless Nerf Bars, Lund Frontrunner bug deflector, Lund Eclipse taillight covers, Lund Eclipse side rear window shades,

Sony Mobile ES CDX-C7850 head unit, Sony Mobile ES XDP-U50D DSP, Sony MDX-65 MiniDisc changer, Rockford Fosgate Punch 600a5 amp, Infinity Kappa 62.1i's in the rear and Kappa 63.1i's in the front, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" Punch XLC subs under the rear seat in sealed boxes.

Soon to be added: RamAir styled hood to replace my hail-damaged stock hood.

Old 10-05-1999, 01:34 PM
To be honest with you, I don't know...I haven't sat in the back since I put in the seat lift kit, so I don't know about the headroom. I think there was plenty to start with, so unless you're REALLY tall, I don't think a loss of two inches is going to be a problem. I suppose it might be a different story with the 3 and 4 inch lifts though. If I get a chance this evening, I'll go out and crawl into the back and see how much headroom I have...I'm 6' 3" so if I have enough headroom, I'm sure you'll probably be ok.

FYI: My subs fire downward into the floor...I think that's a pretty common setup.

------------------
99 F150 X-Cab 4x4 SB, 5.4L V8, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Dark Graphite, ORP, 3.73 LS, Tow Pkg, Captain's Chairs, AIRAID, Luvernve Stainless Nerf Bars, Lund Frontrunner bug deflector, Lund Eclipse taillight covers, Lund Eclipse side rear window shades,

Sony Mobile ES CDX-C7850 head unit, Sony Mobile ES XDP-U50D DSP, Sony MDX-65 MiniDisc changer, Rockford Fosgate Punch 600a5 amp, Infinity Kappa 62.1i's in the rear and Kappa 63.1i's in the front, 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" Punch XLC subs under the rear seat in sealed boxes.

Old 10-05-1999, 05:34 PM
Cool

Hey MattT, could you post some pics so we could check it out?? Sounds like the same kind of set up I'm looking for!

------------------
Big Blue -- 98' F-150 SC ORP, Deep Wedgewood Blue, 5.4L, short bed, billet grille, vent shades, duraliner, GTO headlight covers, more to come!

Old 10-05-1999, 10:50 PM
Check out the Need any info on sub boxes for S/C thread in this forum, someone posted a pic of a setup under the back seat of his truck. I'm going to have a single boxthat streatch's about 53" wide and about 8" high and 12" deep, which will give me about 2.75 cubic feet. I figure I'll be raising the rear seat about 3-4". I will most likely have a new rear seat built that match's though. I think the rear seat is too thick for my liking...

cd

------------------
Silver 99 F150 XLT Sport Extended Cab with Flare Sides...
Mods: K&N Air Filter, Tinted Side Windows, Reese Class 3, Alpine Deck & Subwoofer Processor, Zapco AG350 Amp, JL 10W0 (times 3)
Coming soon: Spray-On Bed Liner, Fiberglass Tonneau Cover

Old 10-06-1999, 12:38 AM
Cool

That is the right www site. It helped a buch. What about head room. I know there's plenty there to begin with but what about afterwards?

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,green (Don't know what it's called exactly), towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,Lund deflector, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry. Lot's of mods to come.

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992.htm

</A>

Old 10-06-1999, 01:50 AM
JetJock,

When I get some pictures taken, I'll try to get them posted somewhere so you can check them out. I plan to take some this weekend. I currently have the rear seat out of the truck, so I should be able to get some good pictures that would clearly show what I've done. I just started a new roll of film though, so it may be a couple of weeks before they get developed. I think I remember seeing the picture that Corey is talking about and I think mine is probably pretty similar to the setup in that picture. If I remember right, I think the setup in that picture had two amps, but I just have one 5-channel amp...I think everything else is pretty much the same though.

------------------

Old 10-07-1999, 09:11 PM
Cool

I would rather not lift the rear seat. Does anyone have the box dimentions that would work with the factory seat? I'm going mount the amp under the front passenger seat.

------------------

</A>

Old 10-08-1999, 11:55 AM
Jolly_Green_Giant...

I raised my rear seat 2" and was able to fit a box that was 16.5" wide by 7" tall (plus about 1" for feet on the box) by 11" deep on each side of the transmission hump, so I would think if your box was about 5" tall (plus an inch for feet), you'd be able to use those width and depth measurements and you should be fine. I noticed your truck is a '98...mine is a '99, and I don't know if there are any differences in regards to the rear seat so you might want to check if my measurements would work before building your box.

Matt

------------------

Quick Reply: woofer placement for extended cab