South AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Thinking of selling (Houston)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of selling (Houston)

Thinking of selling the truck (only 3 months old) and getting the wife a camry and taking over her 4runner. I'm just tired if paying for this truck at the pump. Not sure if anyone is interested in upgrading?? Truck only has 4,500 miles and is still brand new. Asking $29,000 for it. Do you guys think I can get this for the truck? Truck stickered for almost $39,000 and trade-in is horrible.

-Brian

Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
good luck on selling your truck, but why not just stop using your truck as a daily driver and get whatever to go back and forth to work and park the Ford during the week?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by ParkM
good luck on selling your truck, but why not just stop using your truck as a daily driver and get whatever to go back and forth to work and park the Ford during the week?
I don't want multiple vehicle payments...

-Brian

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Suspended
Well, before you rush off and sell the truck to get a new car to "save gas money" PLEASE do yourself a favor and do the math first.

People hugely fail to understand that once you factor in lost tax, fees, and depreciation it is almost impossible to actually net a savings with a switch like what you are proposing.

But, if you do decide that is the route to take, I would also suggest looking into the Ford Fusion. It is outperforming the Camry and Accord left and right. It's an amazing car.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Well, before you rush off and sell the truck to get a new car to "save gas money" PLEASE do yourself a favor and do the math first.

People hugely fail to understand that once you factor in lost tax, fees, and depreciation it is almost impossible to actually net a savings with a switch like what you are proposing.

But, if you do decide that is the route to take, I would also suggest looking into the Ford Fusion. It is outperforming the Camry and Accord left and right. It's an amazing car.
Yea, I paid $26,500 for the truck and after taxes and fees financed something around $29,000 I believe. That is what I would try to get for the truck of course. I have looked at the Fusion in the past but just don't like the exterior styling of it. After spending limited time on the camry forums reading up and discovering all of the transmission problems they are having, I think we may just end up getting the acura tsx. I know the wife likes those and I have had good luck with acura in the past... I won't do anything that would put me upside down of course. If I can get $29K for the truck then I am really only out the 2 payments I have already made. I can live with that...

-Brian

Last edited by 02XLT; 03-27-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Suspended
Well, I guess if you are looking at it that way..it might work out that way. But in reality, once you eat tax etc on a new car, it will easily take you 3-6 years (Especially if you get an Acura) to recoup lost money in gas savings.

Just a thought.

As for the Acura, have you joined forums for those too? I don't know about the TSX, but my ex has a 2005 Acura RSX (NOT the Type S)... and man that thing sure is UNimpressive for an Acura. Rides like crap, it's slow, rattles like you couldn't possibly imagine, and the mileage is worse than my Focus (That literally cost half as much).

In addition to that, you will find Honda/Acura cars have very awkward automatic transmissions that have bad shift points, and rough down shifts under braking. Never been a huge fan of the feel of those cars myself.

The new Impalas are supposed to be pretty nice- I snuck a peak inside a new SS next to me at a light today and I was quite impressed. Interior materials seemed to be on par with German luxury cars

Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I actually use to have an 05 RSX Type S and I had the opposite experience. I really dogged on it and still would get 30MPG. Maybe it was the 6spd versus the 5spd or automatic that your ex had? I hear you about the tax, but seeing the deal I got on the truck and if I can get the $29,000 for it that should cover it all. Who knows though, might be harder to sell it than I think... As for GM I have never been a fan expect for the Tahoe to be honest. Just a preference thing I guess. It would be rare that I would drive the Acura and I don't think my wife would notice the shifting, she's not a performance nut like I am. Appreciate the insight and the helpful comments...

-Brian

Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 02XLT
I paid $26,500 for the truck and after taxes and fees financed something around $29,000 I believe. That is what I would try to get for the truck of course....
I suspect you're going to find that you will have to take a SUBSTANTIAL discount to move your truck. In all honesty, why would someone give you that kind of money for a truck that's been driven around for a couple of months already? They could probably go down to any dealer in town and swing the exact same deal you did and drive away in a truck with only 5 miles on it!

That's the part that people fail to figure into the equation when they think there going to save all this money on gas -- the "hit" they take on the value of their almost new vehicle......

But good luck no matter what you decide......

Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I suspect you're going to find that you will have to take a SUBSTANTIAL discount to move your truck. In all honesty, why would someone give you that kind of money for a truck that's been driven around for a couple of months already? They could probably go down to any dealer in town and swing the exact same deal you did and drive away in a truck with only 5 miles on it!

That's the part that people fail to figure into the equation when they think there going to save all this money on gas -- the "hit" they take on the value of their almost new vehicle......

But good luck no matter what you decide......
I hear you, but you would be surprised how many people pay allot more than $29,000 for a similarly equipped truck. And I do figure in the 'hit' that I would take versus gas mileage saved, that is why I wasn't going to sell it for less than that price. However, I did decide to keep the truck in the long run, I did entertain an offer of $27,900 from a guy in Austin for it, but I really didn't want to lose money and like I think I said earlier I was still on the fence with the whole decision. I thought I would mentioned that while we were looking at a camry for the wife one weekend I went ahead and let the dealer appraise it for a trade. Offered me $20,000 for it. Said that's what he could sell it for on his lot.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling (Houston)