2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine replacement. 5.4L 3V. Options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine replacement. 5.4L 3V. Options?

To be blunt, I love my truck, but I am REALLY unhappy with the engine. The 5.4L 3V died a premature miserable death due to the phaser issue. I can replace the engine.

The question is, would the 4V from say a Navigator be a good / more reliable swap in? What would it take to do the swap?

If not, what can I do to insure that the reliability problems that are inherent with these engines to keep from biting me in the tail again?

Any particular remanufacturer better than the others?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I suspect the 4v engine is a much more reliable engine but installing it would be challenging.

A Ford reman with their warranty may be the best way to go. I'd look for a long warranty on a reman.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I suspect the 4v engine is a much more reliable engine but installing it would be challenging.

A Ford reman with their warranty may be the best way to go. I'd look for a long warranty on a reman.
As I understand the issues with the 3V engine, they are...

#1. Insufficient oil flow to the front of the cylinder heads to properly operate / lubricate the VCT system.

#2. Timing chain guides / tensioners wearing prematurely, again I believe the tensioners are hydraulic, and insufficient oil pressure / flow is keeping them from properly taking up slack in the chain, allowing it to wear / break the guides.

There are multiple remanufacturers out there, most with far better warranty than Ford. And the Ford engine would most likely have the Ford factory flaws. Sorry my confidence in Ford's engineering prowess in regards to the VCT system isn't exactly really high. I wish it were.

I certainly don't mind getting the engine redone locally if it is feasable and would provide a superior quality rebuild. I really want to insure the quality issues with this engine are eliminated.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Well, you could do a 5.4 2V swap..........

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...4-2v-swap.html

Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMHO, and as an owner of the 3V 5.4 (for 11 years) with the extended oil changes 5,000 up to 10,000 miles, with the reduced ZDDP and the longer exposure to periodic oil filter bypass activation (which typically occurs at about 90 days), this is another parallel to the hydraulic timing chain actuators typically failing at around 100k miles (or earlier as many have mentioned) as compared to their design specs which say they should be good for 150K+ miles. Those who have experienced these specific failures, the majority report they are on extended oil drain frequencies- most of the Ford Master Techs i have spoken directly too regarding this, agree their gut instint says there is a relationship between the two. You clog up the holes in the actuator and/or allow micro particulates to get into the VCT units, they are gonna fail. A design issue- totally agree, but maintenance is the key IMHO and I personally don't rely on the mfg's schedule. Here's what I have doe for 40 years......

Engine Management System
• 100,000 Miles Oxygen Sensor Replace

Electronic Fuel Injection System
• Annual Throttle Body & Assembly Inspect, Clean & Lubricate as Necessary
• 6 Months Fuel Injectors Add Redline or BG Brand Fuel Injector Cleaner to Fuel Tank
• 30,000 Miles Fuel Filter Replace
Cooling System
• Annual Anode/Cathodic Protection Inspect
• 5 Years Radiator Drain & Flush System
• 5 Years Hoses Replace
Power Steering
• 5 Years Hoses Inspect & Replace as Necessary
• 30,000 Miles Fluid Drain & Refill
Belts
• 5 Years Serpentine Replace
Transmission
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Fluid Drain & Refill
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Filter Replace as Necessary

Differential
• 30,000 Miles Fluid Drain & Refill
Brakes & Assemblies
• Annual Drums, Rotors & Linings Surface Sand, Degrease, Inspect & Replace as
Necessary
• 3 Years Fluid- Conventional Type Bleed System
• 30,000 Miles Wheel Bearings Inspect, Clean & Repack
Wheels/Tires
• 6 Months Tires Rotate, Inspect & Adjust Pressure

Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first post in like 7 years but has anyone done an LS swap in this body style yet? Obviously involved but on a long enough timeline, everything gets an LS ;P

Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm plotting but not there yet......

Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AER (Automotive Engine Rebuilders) from Texas rebuilds the Ford reman 3V and most of the ones sold through other channels. There is a huge price difference that relates to the warranty. Ford has the best $/hr reimbursement, but is $5400. Eagle is the same engine but the warranty is $50/hr vs $100/hr at the dealer. I have about 4,000 miles on my $3200 AER rebuilt 3V. Warranty is 3years unlimited miles in either case. Here's a Yellow Bullet thread on this subject.