2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4 2v swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4 2v swap. And build

In follow up with this THREAD, this will be the build thread for the swap.

5.4 2v swap.-wwjhday.jpg

I bought an 08 super crew 2wd with low miles. The problem was it has no engine, harness, computer, gas tank, radiator, drive-shaft. It did come with a even lower mile 4r70e and a key.

Originally the truck had a 4.6. It was bought by a green energy company and turned into a hybrid. That's why all the stuff is missing. But I have a 5.4

The 5.4 I have is a 2v from a 98 E-150. It was a Ford replacement crate block. I have the PI heads to swap on that already had the camshafts replaced and were gone through.

The engine:
5.4 2v
PI heads(cleaned up ports)
2008 E-series intake(still 2v)
flea-bay full length headers
oil relocation with large air-to-oil cooler

The van intake is the same as the older 5.4 2v truck intakes. The upper intake elbow is slightly different as that year range van used the electronic throttle body like the trucks. I will use the throttle body which would have came on my truck which is actually the same as what would have been on the van 5.4

Transmission:
Power Tow kit from Pact
Hughes 53-20LHD converter 2,000-2,200 stall

The front suspension was fully rebuilt with Moog Supreme. Brake rotors, pads are Wagner Premium. They even replaced the steering rack, tie-rod ends, and brake hoses. Suspension will stay normal except for the Bilstein leveling struts and shocks I picked up cheap.

I've gathered some parts already. Still need the throttle body, computer, radiator, gas tank, drive-shaft. I've sourced all the parts, just haven't purchased them yet.

At first, I'm going to attempt to run the truck on the 4.6 ecm. As long as its at least drive-able, I can data-log and take it to a tuner. If I luck out, I won't take it to a tuner for a little bit.

Its a bit of work, but I've done more to restore older trucks that weren't really worth it. With this truck, I'll be in for around 1/3 of what the truck would sell for complete in my area.

Last edited by DGyde; 12-01-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck and keep this thread updated, with your progress.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck runs fine on the 4.6 PCM. The tuner helps more with shifting then anything. Actually I have to put it back to stock to pass emissions.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Had a fruitful pick at a different pick-n-pull today. Got the radiator, fan shroud, battery tray, vacuum resevoir, fuel and evap lines (mostly), and a fuel tank with sending unit. I also grabbed an unknown cold air intake off a truck. The mass air sensor was still in it, too.

Still need to head swap my 5.4 and get the computer. I'll also probably have to have a driveshaft made or one of mine shortened.

Finding these parts used is sure keeping me well within budget. I think I'll be tearing into the transmission next

Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is it going? Any progress?

Old 06-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by JahMan12
How is it going? Any progress?
Nope. I have all the parts, except the drive shaft which I'll just have made. Been busy keeping a fusion going with over 200k miles and an old 95 crew cab f350 going. Plus, I have a dune truck to finish real quick so I can run it this summer a few times.

I will do it. It's not a fantasy project.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:43 PM
Finally!

I finally started the doner engine teardown. I will say that pulling a 5.4 out of a econoline is a huge PITA. It is out, torn down to a shortblock in my garage. the engine looks to be in great shape. The cylinders are very clean. The timing chain shows minimal wear. I thought the previous owner said it was a Ford crate engine. It is actually a Jasper rebuilt. 1mm over rebuilt with a melling oil pump.

Only took me so long to get to because of work and me playing with my dune truck. I'll get this engine back together and start work on the 4r75. At this rate, I may be driving the truck this winter. Alot better than my beater Intrepid.

After this, I have this strong urge to make a dual engine, awd, truck out of my '97 F150. I cant think of anything but two V6s blasting out an exhaust note in sweet symphony.

Pics will come.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 AM
Donor

So I started a little more work on the heads. Im going to remove most of the swirl curtain and do a gasket match. My dremel made it through the first one. But im going to take them to a friends and use a mill to cut them down.

Gaskets and head bolts are here. Engine should be back together next week. Then I build a bench to tear into the trans.

Last edited by DGyde; 11-26-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:26 AM
I touched up the heads as far as i could. Opened up the exhaust slightly and smoothed out the casting flaws on the intake ports. Also copied what I have seen on ported heads on the chamber. I'll be taking the heads over Friday evening to cut the skirts off.

From what I have read, these heads have problems with mid-lift flow. I think removing most of the skirts should help this. Its not like I have to worry about compression ratio. It will still be a little over 10:1 being these are PI heads on a NPI block.

I think I may also heli-coil all the spark plug threads. A couple are a little rough.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:32 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
Do *NOT* use helicoil - if you use any kind of insert use Timesert.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:11 PM
I already have the solid ones. I just refer to all threaded inserts as helicoil.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Well, turns out it was a bunch of burnt anti-seize on the spark plug threads. It all cleaned out with a thread chaser and looks fine.

I think im going to change the oil pump to a 4 valve one. It flows about 10-15% more. With a little more flow, and a large oil cooler, I'll have more peace of mind.

Another odd note, the exhaust valves have slop in them. But when I slide a newer valve in, there is no slop. Micrometer confirms that the valve stems wore down. I can source new valves cheaper than having new guides put in. PHEW

Heads are hitting the mill tomorrow!

Old 12-09-2016, 12:15 AM
Cant seem to link to anymore pictures. On phone or laptop, it wont even let me manually type in an http address. I have the skirts removed, did more cleanup under the valve seats, lapped new valves, cleaned the head mating surface, and double checked head surface for flatness. I have a 3v oil pump gear set on the way. New valves, obviously, and valve springs are here.

I just became a huge fan of Enginetech. I found they source U.S. made parts as much as they can. And its hard to beat the price of their kits and parts.

I will be putting threaded inserts in the heads, afterall. These are the short spark plug thread heads. I threaded in a new spark plug into a few holes and did not like how they felt. I ordered a German made kit from flea-bay. The inserts will double my spark plug threads with steel threads.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:33 AM
I still cant link pictures. I use chrome on my phone and laptop. It just greys out or dissapears.

Engine is done. Took 80lbs of sand blasting to clean the block. Its painted and all buttoned back up. Had to get the heads surfaced. Should have asked if he could do a good surface on aluminum for mls gaskets. That was a lot of sanding with a home made glass surface head/block sander. I got a used 4v oil pump and new gears for it. Got an oil adapter, chopped it, and tapped it for remote filter/oil cooler lines. A era correct oil pan and pick-up tube. Heck, I even made new stud valve cover bolts.

Best news was i found a one-piece driveshaft for the truck. Im building a bench tomorrow to go through the transmission. I built a clamp to mount it to a engine stand. And currently working on the clutch pack compressor.

There is a push to get the truck complete and driving quick. My Dodge Intrepiturd blew up. But not after my Fusion spun a bearing and giving it to a friend to trade in. So im stuck driving a quad cab, 8' bed F350 work truck. However, I never want to work on a modular motor ever again. So much tedious work. This truck is done with care so it will last. Ive spent too much money on new tools and too much time to produce a half *** product

Quick Reply: 5.4 2v swap.