2004 - 2008 F-150

What ecm? 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What ecm? 4.6

Bought a 08 crew cab missing engine and computer. Found the engine and trans harness. It came with a 4r70w in the bed. I have a low mile 5.4 2v crate motor. I'll be running it from the factory 4.6 computer. But, I see 2 different coded computers. I just need to find out what the difference is so I can order the right one.

I'd like to know which of the 2 everyone has and what options their truck has (just basics)

2008 crew cab 2wd
(Ford part #)ecm
Built in dearborn, MI 05/08 (date)
Tow package

There is a XUE1 and a AEM3 code between the different ecms. The ford part number on your computer would be great for looking it up

Last edited by DGyde; 03-30-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DGyde
Bought a 08 crew cab missing engine and computer. Found the engine and trans harness. It came with a 4r70w in the bed. I have a low mile 5.4 2v crate motor. I'll be running it from the factory 4.6 computer. But, I see 2 different coded computers. I just need to find out what the difference is so I can order the right one.

I'd like to know which of the 2 everyone has and what options their truck has (just basics)

2008 crew cab 2wd
(Ford part #)ecm
Built in dearborn, MI 05/08 (date)
Tow package

There is a XUE1 and a AEM3 code between the different ecms. The ford part number on your computer would be great for looking it up
I'll jump in. Lucky for you I'm the only person with a 2v 5.4 swap.

First off, even with info you gave the PCM could be anyone of those. It's prolly dependent on the transmission. Why don't you just call ford dealer with the Vin and ask what the replacement is.

Do you know if that f150 had a 3v 4.6?

If you have a 4r70w that won't work, you need a 4r70e or 4r75e.

Next step is to go to ford and ask for a 2008 4.6 throttle body gasket and a 2003 2v 5.4 gasket and make sure they match. Then don't buy either. If not you will have a lot of headaches like I had...

Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Gaskets are not the same part number.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IntRiniTy
I'll jump in. Lucky for you I'm the only person with a 2v 5.4 swap.

First off, even with info you gave the PCM could be anyone of those. It's prolly dependent on the transmission. Why don't you just call ford dealer with the Vin and ask what the replacement is.

Do you know if that f150 had a 3v 4.6?

If you have a 4r70w that won't work, you need a 4r70e or 4r75e.

Next step is to go to ford and ask for a 2008 4.6 throttle body gasket and a 2003 2v 5.4 gasket and make sure they match. Then don't buy either. If not you will have a lot of headaches like I had...
4.6 3v didn't come along till the next generation.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Ford dealers could not tell me which computer by the Vin #. But two different online dealers told me it is definitely the GXB. I got the 4r70e(typo in original post) with the truck and it only has 20k miles on it. I'm going to inspect it. I'm going to upgrade the valve body and might open it up for a basic rebuild to change a few things.

As for the throttle body, I'm not too worried if it doesn't match 100%. If it's too far off, I'll make an adapter. I'm lucky to have a friend with a mill.

The list so far is
Rebuilt, updated ecm with new set of keys and flashed to my Vin
4.6/5.4 electronic throttle body
5.4 fuel rail with sensor
Radiator hoses
Valve body kit
Gaskets for 5.4 to swap PI heads and intake on
Headers off of flea-bay

And the truck is also missing
Fuel tank
Drive shaft
Radiator
Battery tray (but they had the cover)

It seems like a lot, but I'll have a truck with 50k miles for 1/3 the price with a green title. I already found the engine and transmission harness.

Btw, what is the torque covered stall stock in these trucks. I did searches, but just came up with how to check it. I have a heavy duty 2100 stall Hughes converter nib.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Lightbulb

Ford dealers could not tell me which computer by the Vin #. But two different online dealers told me it is definitely the GXB. I got the 4r70e(typo in original post) with the truck and it only has 20k miles on it. I'm going to inspect it. I'm going to upgrade the valve body and might open it up for a basic rebuild to change a few things.

As for the throttle body, I'm not too worried if it doesn't match 100%. If it's too far off, I'll make an adapter. I'm lucky to have a friend with a mill.

The list so far is
Rebuilt, updated ecm with new set of keys and flashed to my Vin
4.6/5.4 electronic throttle body
5.4 fuel rail with sensor
Radiator hoses
Valve body kit
Gaskets for 5.4 to swap PI heads and intake on
Headers off of flea-bay

And the truck is also missing
Fuel tank
Drive shaft
Radiator
Battery tray (but they had the cover)

It seems like a lot, but I'll have a truck with 50k miles for 1/3 the price with a green title. I already found the engine and transmission harness.

Btw, what is the torque covered stall stock in these trucks. I did searches, but just came up with how to check it. I have a heavy duty 2100 stall Hughes converter nib.
You have no idea what your getting yourself into.

So you need to swap heads? That's a big job!

You may want to look into the e-250. I believe some had a 5.4 2v with the fly by wire TB.

It is unknown if 2v PCM will control the 3v TB.

The 5.4 header Egr is different, you will need adapter and ******ing of pipe.

You will need a remote oil filter kit unless you feel like taking off the power steering pump every oil change.

Your going to need a "T" fitting for the coolant. I made one from the 4.6 oil mount.

Your going to have a check engine light because the 5.4 dosnt have the computer controlled variable intake runner.

Shorty Headers are a waste, but they look cool. I'd replace all the exhaust manifold studs either way.

I bought a rad off eBay for $100 shipped, cheaper than local junk yard.

I'm curious to see how your going to get the electric TB bolted to the 5.4 IM
And the situation with the fuel rail.

I'm interested to see how this works out. Maybe their was a better way then my path.

Thanks again for the info GLC!

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-23-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:52 AM
Question

Also the 2v 5.4 uses different physical size injectors and different plugs. That e-250 might save you a lot of headaches.

So your looking at 100 for head bolts and gaskets. 400 for a programmer and 100 for a tune. Not to mention the oil filter kit. Do you have a complete motor or just a block? Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier/faster/safer just to sell your block and get the corresponding 4.6?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Heads are easy to do. Especially when the engine isn't in the vehicle. Im well equipped for this.

Cool, I didn't know the 2v 5.4 was still used in those. Yes, they did have an electronic throttle body. Appears to be the same one as the trucks. And, they used the same exact intake as I have. So, I just need the intake elbow and everything will bolt together. Apparently, the 4.6, 5.4, and some 4.0 from various vehicles through these years had the same throttle body.

EGR I'll worry about when I get to it. May just block it for a bit.

I'm doing an oil cooler. I have a large cooler, adapter and relocation, and hose already sitting around. I will not use the coolant cooler.

Isn't the variable runners a 3v thing?

Im using long tube headers. They are available to fit 2wd trucks. I'm going with the ones for a 3v 5.4 and will be re-drilling the bolt holes to use on my heads.

The fuel rail is because these trucks have a single feed, no return(returnless) fuel system. I will have to use one from a matching era 5.4 from this truck. As I understand, the fuel pressure sensor is very important to the fuel pumps pwm.

Injectors will be pulled with the fuel. I've found used rails with injectors.

I plan to run without a programmer for the first bit. I haven't looked around for anyone local for me to take it to yet. I know plenty of people with the older trucks ran a 5.4 on the 4.6 ecm.

I have the 5.4. Its a lower mile Ford replacement(new, not rebuilt). I have the PI heads from a truck I scrapped out. The heads are rebuilt with low miles, so I may be lucky and not have to take them to get redone. Having the engine is the only reason I bought the truck. I figured if it was too much, I'd go plan B and run an old small block windsor.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Heads are easy to do. Especially when the engine isn't in the vehicle. Im well equipped for this.

Cool, I didn't know the 2v 5.4 was still used in those. Yes, they did have an electronic throttle body. Appears to be the same one as the trucks. And, they used the same exact intake as I have. So, I just need the intake elbow and everything will bolt together. Apparently, the 4.6, 5.4, and some 4.0 from various vehicles through these years had the same throttle body.

EGR I'll worry about when I get to it. May just block it for a bit.

I'm doing an oil cooler. I have a large cooler, adapter and relocation, and hose already sitting around. I will not use the coolant cooler.

Isn't the variable runners a 3v thing?

Im using long tube headers. They are available to fit 2wd trucks. I'm going with the ones for a 3v 5.4 and will be re-drilling the bolt holes to use on my heads.

The fuel rail is because these trucks have a single feed, no return(returnless) fuel system. I will have to use one from a matching era 5.4 from this truck. As I understand, the fuel pressure sensor is very important to the fuel pumps pwm.

Injectors will be pulled with the fuel. I've found used rails with injectors.

I plan to run without a programmer for the first bit. I haven't looked around for anyone local for me to take it to yet. I know plenty of people with the older trucks ran a 5.4 on the 4.6 ecm.

I have the 5.4. Its a lower mile Ford replacement(new, not rebuilt). I have the PI heads from a truck I scrapped out. The heads are rebuilt with low miles, so I may be lucky and not have to take them to get redone. Having the engine is the only reason I bought the truck. I figured if it was too much, I'd go plan B and run an old small block windsor.
Being a tooth off on the timing chain could potentially blow your engine. That "new" engine is likely over 20 years old.

The +04 throttle body on 4.6/5.4 are not the same.

The newer 5.4 have bigger injectors and will not run right on the 4.6 PCM .

My 4.6 had the variable runner intake.

Those headers have bigger pipes. You will likely lose torque.

Oil mount also had coolant running through it. It's hard to explain maybe I'll snap s pic for you. Look at s +04 4.6 oil mount.

Your trying something that's never been done before. You might waste a lot of money on parts and no go. It's not a Chevy , parts arnt the same for 20 years.

Deleting the EGR will kill your mpg and run like crap without a tune.

The Windsor swap was a joke right?

For the price of headers, head bolts, gaskets, intake mani, fuel rail, injectors, you could just buy a NEWER 4.6 junk yard motor and be good to go.

I failed to see the reasoning that the only reason bought the truck was because you have a motor that didn't even come in that truck and had only been swapped once using a entirely different method. I.e. Adapter plates and a big hole.

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-24-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:32 PM
Sounding a little harsh there. I'm very mechanical. I've been working on cars, trucks, and rebuilding engines, transmissions, and axles for a decent amount of time. I'm well aware of what this involves as far as getting it together to work correctly.

Getting another junkyard 4.6 may be easier, but will put me $1500+ more into this truck. Plus I seem to be only able to find higher milage engines. I will be tearing down the 5.4 to the short block to make sure everything is good. We have had it since it only had 5k miles on it. I know it was running great and taken care of. Part sourcing is the biggest hoop to hurl through here. I'm doing pretty good so far. I should only have $1,100 to $1,300 into parts to have it all together. Some of the odds and ends I already have. Even with buying a programmer later and having a shop play with it, I will still be under $6k. In the end I'll have a clean, rust free truck with under 50k miles on the chassis, engine, and trans.

I still thank you for any and all advise. I know what the oil cooler base your talking about looks like. I prefer air oil coolers over those any day.

And the 5.4 I have was put in from a dealer in 2006

Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Lightbulb

Sounding a little harsh there. I'm very mechanical. I've been working on cars, trucks, and rebuilding engines, transmissions, and axles for a decent amount of time. I'm well aware of what this involves as far as getting it together to work correctly.

Getting another junkyard 4.6 may be easier, but will put me $1500+ more into this truck. Plus I seem to be only able to find higher milage engines. I will be tearing down the 5.4 to the short block to make sure everything is good. We have had it since it only had 5k miles on it. I know it was running great and taken care of. Part sourcing is the biggest hoop to hurl through here. I'm doing pretty good so far. I should only have $1,100 to $1,300 into parts to have it all together. Some of the odds and ends I already have. Even with buying a programmer later and having a shop play with it, I will still be under $6k. In the end I'll have a clean, rust free truck with under 50k miles on the chassis, engine, and trans.

I still thank you for any and all advise. I know what the oil cooler base your talking about looks like. I prefer air oil coolers over those any day.

And the 5.4 I have was put in from a dealer in 2006
I'm sorry if I came off harsh, I'm not trying to be an @$$hole, just want to be 100% honest and let you know what your getting in to and avoid any potential pitfalls. I want to see you get your truck running and only trying to help.

I'm pretty sure ford stopped producing that style 5.4 in 1999 or a little bit later in the Lobo. Most likely that engine is a reman or maybe just really old stock.

I understand your reasoning and I do love the extra bump in power. And they said it couldn't be done. Worst case you can do the adapter plate thing with different intake to avoid the hole.

The oil mount also has antifreeze running through it. My 4.6 had had two coolant lines running off mount. Using the 5.4 mount I needed a "T" to run both lines. I can take a pic of you want.

I found out they moved the power steering pump on the newer engines to clear the ABS system. The 2v 5.4 puts the oil filter in between the pump and ABS block, that's why you need the remote oil filter kit. I paid $50ish. It also makes oil changes real easy so it works out.

Good luck on your build. Keep us posted. We like pics.

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-26-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Mine had two coolant lines

Also you will need a 8 bolt flex plate. The 4.6 came with a 6 bolt. $35 on Rockauto.

Last edited by IntRiniTy; 04-26-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: What ecm? 4.6