XM radio install in 2009 XLT Screw

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM radio install in 2009 XLT Screw

I've had several XM radios for years and wasn't interested in starting a Sirius account so I purchased my 2009 XLT Screw without the Sirius receiver. I've gotten impatient waiting to see if anybody is going to make an integration adapter for adding an under-dash XM receiver to a 2009's stock radio so I installed a portable XM receiver today.

I don't like having anything aftermarket sticking out of the dash so I had to figure out how to mount the XM in a stealth install. One of the overhead sunglass holders was the ticket.

The receiver is conveniently located and can easily be removed for use in my portable XM boom box or travel trailer when I take the family camping. I didn't have to permanently alter anything on the truck except cut away a bit of the foam padding from inside the sunglass holder itself so I could mount the XM radio cradle with double-sided 3M panel tape.

I ran the audio out cable from the XM radio down the driver's side A-pillar and spliced it into the SYNC audio input cable behind the dash. No plug visible. I powered the XM radio cradle by dissembling it's cigarette outlet power adapter, soldering on pigtails (with an in-line fuse of course) for power-in, then wrapping the circuit board in heat shrink. Then tapped into an existing ignition switched 12v source in the roof. The assembly easily tucked out of the way between the roof and headliner.

I'm very happy with this easy installation. No exposed wires and I love the location of the XM receiver. The XM receiver is an Express RC with color display.

The XM receiver is conveniently located for when I want to switch channels. Its easy to read and despite the appearance in the pic, all the buttons are accessible.

Flips up out of the way for a clean look and nothing to tempt thieves.

I mounted the satellite antenna on the roof by running the cable through where the center mounted brake light is. I ran the cable out the bottom of the light then tucked it under the edge of the plastic lens. That way no water can run its way past the brake light gasket to the inside. I believe in roof mounting for best possible reception.

Last edited by v_tach; 05-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Very nice. I'm going to have to do this! Thanks V Tach.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 PM
nice write up. enjoy those tunes.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
XM vs Sirius

Thanks for your tips and photos. It looks great. After 4 years of XM, I don't want to switch to Sirius either. I need MLB to keep me company during long night drives, and it isn't available with Sirius. I am going to install an XM radio into my 09 FX4. I have a Sirius recevier, but I think I can use the same receiver to install the XM electronics. Any photos of the work you did behind the radio, specifically the pigtails you connected to?

Last edited by whaler24; 06-02-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
No pics of the wire work I'm afraid. However it was simple.

I just popped the SYNC plate off to get access to the aux input cable. I cut the cable a few inches back from the plate then soldered in my cable from the XM receiver and soldered the SYNC connector back at the same time. I can still use the SYNC's aux input connector.

The cable has three leads. A common ground and left channel signal and right channel signal.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by v_tach
I powered the XM radio cradle by dissembling it's cigarette outlet power adapter, soldering on pigtails (with an in-line fuse of course) for power-in, then wrapping the circuit board in heat shrink. Then tapped into an existing ignition switched 12v source in the roof. The assembly easily tucked out of the way between the roof and headliner.

Love your install. Great idea. Quick question. Why did you need to tap into two separate power sources?

thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by bobtu
Love your install. Great idea. Quick question. Why did you need to tap into two separate power sources?

thanks!
I didn't. I only tapped into one power source which was located at the map lights in the headliner.

I did tap into the SYNC aux line-in behind the dash for the XM receiver's audio output. I tapped into that wire behind the dash rather than running the 3.5mm plug to the dash mounted SYNC aux line-in and having a visible patch cord hanging out of the dash all the time.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I didn't. I only tapped into one power source which was located at the map lights in the headliner.

I did tap into the SYNC aux line-in behind the dash for the XM receiver's audio output. I tapped into that wire behind the dash rather than running the 3.5mm plug to the dash mounted SYNC aux line-in and having a visible patch cord hanging out of the dash all the time.

Ahh... Gotcha. You said the audio cable has 3 leads... Mine has 4. Two Blue wires, a yellow/green stripe and a white/green stripe. Think the two blues are common and the others are left/right?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I cut the plug off the end of my 3.5mm cable and left a few inches of wire. I then plugged that cable into the SYNC aux jack and used a multimeter on the truck's side of the wiring to trace each of the wires. I then just spliced the matching wires into the truck's side of the wiring from the left over patch cord without the plug.

Not sure if that made sense.

I'd guess two of the wires with yours are common grounds. I think a regular 3.5mm stereo cable only has three conductors anyway. The actual plug only has three contact sections.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I cut the plug off the end of my 3.5mm cable and left a few inches of wire. I then plugged that cable into the SYNC aux jack and used a multimeter on the truck's side of the wiring to trace each of the wires. I then just spliced the matching wires into the truck's side of the wiring from the left over patch cord without the plug.

Not sure if that made sense.

I'd guess two of the wires with yours are common grounds. I think a regular 3.5mm stereo cable only has three conductors anyway. The actual plug only has three contact sections.
good idea... thanks again for your help!

Quick Reply: XM radio install in 2009 XLT Screw