Chapters and Site name usage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Raoul -

I would go after the "Red Hot Chili Peppers".

Old 08-08-2000, 05:40 PM
Question

2 more cents,

I have to second what Tamster said. With a large Redwing sticker in my back window, do you really think Mike Illich,(owner of the Redwings and Tigers)really cares how I drive, who I hit , or what My driving record is?
What if I have my Redwings jersey on an punch someone in the nose? Then do they sue the shirt company too? I am no lawyer but come on, lets get real !
IF this were a real Issue of liability someone would have gotten a zillion dollars from it and all the sticker companies would be out of buisness !!

As for this site, I am offering to show Mtknee a good time while he is 5 states from home on a buisness trip.

I am also looking at coming to Texas next Feb. rather than Florida for my winter vacation. A beach is a beach to me, the ONLY reason for the change is the hope that I can meet the people in Texas that I consider friends. Hoping they will do for me what I'm trying to do for MtKnee.( by the way Dave If you do a S.A. rally in late Feb Of 2001, Im there !!! )

So my point is this. If not for this site all us regional groups would be having our fun not knowing the others exist. For that I must say A huge Thanks to OUR Webmaster Steve.

As for dues..HELLO???

I think all the regional recruters,( you know who you are) need to be thanked and maybe even given a commission for all the FREE advertising they have been doing.

As a owner/operator of a small buisness I wish I had 6000 or so salesmen accross this planet selling my services for FREE!!!

I think the cart is so far in front of the horse that the horse is getting lost looking for it.

Redwing

------------------
2000, F-150, XLT, SC, Flareside, 4x4, 5.4, 3.55ls, ORP,
Tow Package,BFG Allterrain T/A KO's
Downey soft tonneau, Black Westin step bars
Airaid FIPK from the Online store
Superchip from Mike Troyer
Bright REDWINGS red

Rewired driving lights from low beam dependant
to keyed toggle switch.

My Ford history; Started at Age 15 1965 f-100, 1976 f-250,
1979 f-150, 1989 Bronco2, 1990 full size Bronco,
1995 Explorer(wifes car), 2000 f-150

Old 08-08-2000, 05:57 PM
Talking

Sean -

I was just wondering. Do you think if I got rear-ended by a truck with Bankston stickers on it there's a chance that we could hold Bill personally liable?

Old 08-08-2000, 06:50 PM
F150online
Founder
Allright folks, this "controversy" is getting a little out of hand. The "dues" in question (which still don't exist) would not profit ME in any way, they would simply support the legal costs of setting up and official organization that supports the "club" or "chapter" concept. What can that cost, $500? Split among 50 state, $10 per "chapter" per year? As far as the "rules" etc, they would be in place so the F-150 Online "brand", logos, etc. are used standardized and used consistently across the "chapters."

Old 08-08-2000, 07:57 PM
raoul, so that is where all the fleas came from,, and think i threw out the wife and kids thinking that they were the problem...man if i only knew,,maybe i should let them back in

------------------
97 f150 xlt SuperCab 4.2L, Auto, K&N Air Filter,Captain's Chairs, Magnum Bug Deflector, GTS Headlite Covers, AVS Slotted Tailite Covers, AVS Window Deflectors, Ford Bedliner, Ford Blanket ( Thanks Raoul )

"Just FORD It"

Old 08-08-2000, 07:58 PM
Question

damn,
keyboards a flamin' aren't they?
now i'm a BUBBA; born in NEW YORK CITY?
this MUST have been sean's fault.

the gunman

------------------
97 f150 xlt named: "locked & lowered",sc,4.6,auto,tow,3.55ls,superchip,mpc deflector,hellwig rear sway bar,k&n-w/home made filter bracket,belltech 2"/4" drop,flowmaster delta-flow 50, borla quad tips,tekstyle tonneu cover,rhino lining,s&w.

Old 08-08-2000, 08:16 PM
now on a more serious note:
i stumbled upon this site shortly after it was started. it did take a few years to have our first rally. october '99 in austin, i think. ever since then, every rally, or get together has been better than the first. i am planning on heading up the rally to the truck races next year in fort worth. dues are not a problem for me, although with all the advertising, i thought this would have easily made up any losses. if we continue/have chapters, dues would probably be needed more for them to help with the get togethers. i don't know. i do feel this group, the texas group, is like a family. dave, you started making my eyes water! especially the part about the z28 --shame on you! but seriously folks, abandoning this site is not the answer. setting too many rules is not the answer. besides, one main club with many chapters is what happens all over the us.
later,
gunman

------------------
97 f150 xlt named: "locked & lowered",sc,4.6,auto,tow,3.55ls,superchip,mpc deflector,hellwig rear sway bar,k&n-w/home made filter bracket,belltech 2"/4" drop,flowmaster delta-flow 50, borla quad tips,tekstyle tonneu cover,rhino lining,s&w.

Old 08-08-2000, 08:49 PM
Steve (webmaster),
Their you go, get in it..We are just looking for answers just like you. Just keep us informed. Lets make this work, it can be very very BIG!! We all want to be a part of it......MORE..Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 08-08-2000, 08:53 PM
F150online
Founder
Let me correct a misperception that is being perpetuated here. The "dues" have nothing to do with this web site. There are no, nor will there ever be membership fees or costs to use this site.

The "dues" would be to support an "offline" organization or club. There needs to be a distinction here. Yes, there is money coming into the site from advertising and store sales, but that money will not be used to establish or support clubs, with the exception, perhaps of some resources online for a "clubs" usage, nor do I suspect I will have the time to oversee such an offline organization, which leads to the need to have rules.

Also keep in mind that all of this is only speculation. I am not committing to anything here. The end result of all this might be to tell everyone who is currently using "F-150 Online" in their club's name to remove it. I don't frankly know at this point in time.

As far as the argument presented a couple of times about the clubs promoting the site so they should not cost anything ... if I were to mandate that no club events could be mentioned or arranged on this site, how far would the club get? It costs money to run this site and the attention it gets "offline" does boost number, but what is the true end result? More traffic to the site means higher monthly maintenance costs. Viscious circle, eh?

And a quick followup to some the comments that seem to display frustration towards TX using the terms "F-150 Online Chapter..." When I was down in TX a few months ago, I had the good fortune to meet Sean, Mudder, etc. and they had already been using this term. Anyone can ask Sean, I discouraged the use of the name then. However, that is their "identity" right now, so perhaps it is a bit hypocritical to let it slide. Anyone else who has asked to use "F-150 Online Chapter" for their club name has gotten the same response, please wait until I say it is ok...nothing has changed on that front.

Steve

Old 08-08-2000, 09:31 PM
Banned
Angry

Steve, I guess allot of the people are tired of waiting. We for one have waited the longest. As for no permission here is the blurb from your email. Dated Feb 10 2000

------------------------
As far as the next rally goes, the F150ONLINE name usage is not really
a big
deal, as to this point you have not formed an official organization
with
that name, that is where the problem would lie. Once the club becomes
an
*official* organization with bylaws, paying members, etc. that is when
I
need to be concerned with the name (if it carries the F150ONLINE name).

Does that clarify or confuse? :-)

Epp
-----------------------------

We abided by no rules or dues, all we do is get together. We are looking for a place that will make a larger uniform for all chapters. I starting to wonder if this is worth the effort.

Steve since this has started I have heard of rumors that the f150onlie is up for sale and you are waiting for a buyer. If true what is the future of us as chapters here anyway.

I have been also talking with Texas Chapter members all day and I will be in contact with the other leaders of the other chapters maybe we as a national group we will figure out what we want to do.

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 08-08-2000).]

Old 08-08-2000, 10:13 PM
Question

I don't understand. If the Texas Chapter was a problem and discouraged as a club, then why is it proudly displayed on the front page. Also, if someone were in a wreck displaying the Texas chapter as opposed to the standard f150online sticker, would that not put the site at less risk? They would see the big Texas Chapter letters first. I'm also a member of the Arlington Chapter of TX4X4 and there are no dues and no concerns about lawsuits. Every chapter has a sticker that displays the area name(such as arlington) and then TX4x4. And I doubt seriously that anyone I hit will sue the University of North Texas because I have their sticker on my back window, even though I am a student there. I think the story would be different if we worked for the site or were owners in it. We don't drive company trucks so I just don't understand the hypothetical question. Someone please explain to the poor college student

Old 08-08-2000, 10:57 PM
I am still not getting it. Why would we need "dues" to support an "offline organization." No matter what we label it, we already HAVE an "offline organization," and we've survived pretty well without dues. As a group, we have been organizing and attending activities for about a year. The subject of dues was suggested, to my understanding, to show support and gratitude to Steve for bringing everyone together, and to keep his expenses down. But honestly...this "Texas Chapter" is now a (fast-growing) group of people who know each other well, are great friends, and as Dave and Gunman said, are like a family. We really don't need official validation or structurization for that!! Using the site name as our "Logo" was to promote the site for Steve's benefit, and to hopefully add more members that we could meet and add to our group of friends. THAT is the cycle that we have been focusing on.

With all the 2 cents being added here, we might be able to scrap all the financial issues, anyway, eh??

Tamster

Old 08-08-2000, 10:57 PM
F150online
Founder
Steve since this has started I have heard of rumors that the f150onlie is up for sale and you are waiting for a buyer. If true what is the future of us as chapters here anyway.
Really?? Cool!! Where did you hear that rumor and did they say how much it is worth?

We don't drive company trucks so I just don't understand the hypothetical question. Someone please explain to the poor college student
Here is where there is a potential problem...say the a "chapter" is having an event, one of the vehicles is involved in some sort of legal problem that could involve a lawsuit, the event is an "F-150 Online Rally." Who (theoritically) has the deepest pockets? The organization or the individual?

Mumbly, what does that email say that I have not been saying all along? Did you post it to contradict something I've said otherwise? No "official" organization "F-150 Online" exists, unless there happens to be a problem, if a lawyer is so inclined. Why does nobody understand this or appreciate the position I am in???

Can we end this thread? There is no answer and I cannot promise you one right now. Period.

Old 08-08-2000, 11:08 PM
F150online
Founder
OK PEOPLE READ THIS BECAUSE MANY OF YOU ARE CHOOSING TO IGNORE THE SIMPLE THINGS THAT I AM SAYING:

1. NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THAT YOU DISBAND YOUR CLUBS.

2. ALONG WITH THE USE OF THE NAME F-150 ONLINE IN A CLUB'S NAME THERE COMES POTENTIAL PERSONAL LIABILITY FOR ME, AS I AM F-150 ONLINE.

3. IF WE WANT TO ESTABLISH A LEGITIMATE OFFLINE ORGANIZATION THAT CAN USE THE NAME F-150 ONLINE LAWYERS WILL HAVE TO BE PAID, STANDARD WILL HAVE TO BE MET. THOSE LAWYERS COSTS WOULD LIKELY BE PASSED ALONG TO THE "CHAPTERS" IN THE FORM OF DUES.

4. NOTHING, I REPEAT, NOTHING, HAS BEEN DECIDED AT THIS POINT. IT IS ALL SPECULATION!

GET IT?????

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 08-08-2000).]

Old 08-09-2000, 12:15 AM
Banned
Question

OK... First off, "HOW" & "WHY" am "I" the one who is speculated to have a wreck & cause a lawyer to try to shut down the site & put Steve behind bars for the next 20 years & not be able to run the site ???? LOL !!!

Ok, I am seeing "EVERYONE'S" side of the story & am NOW having a hard time thinking of HOW to say the things on my mind w/out writing a book here.

1.) This is a big question for me & as mentioned by several people above w/out response from Steve that I remember seeing. What is the difference of the "Tx. Chapter" stickers & the "F150online.com" stickers that we bought or were given by Steve ? I mean, if we had a "Get together" like we do & Davensa runs over a little old lady who couldn't see over the steering wheel in that monster truck of his & squashes her little rusty furred poodle & she gets p.o.'d & wants restitution.... what happens ? Say the only sticker on the truck was the sticker Dave got from Steve himself. What's the difference in that sticker & the Tx. Chapter stickers ? They both say F150online.com on them. There have never been any dues to be a member of this site once you bought one of the site stickers, so why should there be now ? Ok, wrong wording. The dues are ONLY for "Insurance" payments right ? I can see how a lawyer could suggest having something like this for "OFFICIAL clubs". But like Buck said, we are just a BIG group of Texans who like to get together. Every couple of months, we seem to have a big rally. Someone or several people help spread the word & we/they/all of us start making a list of who will show up. We don't have an official "President" or a "Board"... We are "not" structured in anyway really. There are just a few people who want to & who have the time to "ORGANIZE" these "Get togethers". But as for being an "Official" or a "Legal" club, I guess we are NOT.

2.) As for dues. Now that Steve has clarified the "dues" as being $ to pay for "Insurance" only, that is a bit different. If it was $500 a year & broke down to only $10 per state, that is pretty cheap & not worth arguing about.
BUT... Is your lawyer telling you that this is the correct legal procedure for a situation like this ? OFF-line, we are just a bunch of people who have liked this site & have met eachother because of that & now we get together every now & then. Should that really have a "Legal Price" to it ? I don't know. I think our legal system has been screwed up for a long time. Especially since the JERKOFF won a couple mil. from McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on his dumba**....
It just ain't right.

I don't know the laws in this area, but something just doesn't seem right about Steve being liable for someone getting in an accident & due to them having a sticker on their window that has the name of his website on it, that it makes him responsible. Steve didn't have control of the individual that squashed the rusty furred, blurry eyed poodle. That is that persons responsibility, not Steves.
But like I said, laws are unclear. It all depends on how that judge interprets them to whatever situation is at hand.

I don't even know where I'm going at this point as y'all can probably tell...
Steve, I'm not trying to be a jerk, don't think that, but everyone's got good points, even you, due to the way some legal situations are handled these days in the courts such as the guy who should have known that his coffee would be hot.

I was under the impression for a while now that you didn't care if we used the website name for our group/club/whatever you want to call us as long as we were not an "official Club" ? Which brings me to the question of what defines us as an "Official" club ?

I am seeing both sides and if a lawyer who specializes in this type of law says get insurance, well then I guess that's something... But, also... would this be federal laws or just state laws that require this insurance ? If the price tag broke down to about $0.25 per member or in that range of $10 per state as you mentioned big deal. That's cheap. People would pay that.

I think you may have hurt the Texas Chapters' feelings though when you said/posted, "The Texas Chapter is not an official Chapter", even though you call us that & have it on the front page.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I have enough of that going on in life every day already,... I'm just confused about the name/sticker/dues thing when we all bought stickers from you in the beginning & put them on our trucks & drove around together. We were a club then w/the sites name on our vehicles... Just no-one had thought of or made a customized sticker to make it more personal like it is now....

It has become like a big family now... Family feuds are no fun...

Speaking of family... will one of my brethren float me a loan ?????$$$$$

SS

Quick Reply: Chapters and Site name usage