F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Questions About The Site? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/questions-about-site-31/)
-   -   Chapters and Site name usage (https://www.f150online.com/forums/questions-about-site/14421-chapters-site-name-usage.html)

New Jersey Chapter 07-27-2000 08:24 PM

Chapters and Site name usage

The Texas Chapter of F-150 Online,
This taken from the home page and the fact that one 'chapter' has registered and taken top honors at public events, does this mean that other groups of registered site members can officially organize and be recognized as 'chapters' of this site and use the site name for 'chapter' events?

steveo 07-28-2000 02:32 AM

you would think but who knows.....

webmaster 07-28-2000 10:21 AM

I am (finally) meeting with my attorney next week to make this site "legit" in the eyes of Uncle Sam as well as take some legal action for harassment against a troublesome user.

After this meeting, I should have the groundwork in place to allow for regional "chapters" of F-150 Online. Keep in mind though that to use the name there will likely be strict by-laws and policies that have to be followed. There may also be a dues requirement of some sort, though I have yet to work that out.

As some of you know, to date I have discouraged the use of the name F-150 Online external to this site because all of the liability of that name fell on me, personally.

Let's take a worst case scenario (and in this litigious society I sadly have to), Sean (it's always his fault anyway) rams into someone on the Interstate and kills them. The insurance company happens to see the F-150 Online chapter decal on his door. Who do you think may be getting a call?

Steve

New Jersey Chapter 07-28-2000 09:36 PM

Thank you for the response Steve (webmaster). Will look forward to hearing more about this.

When you started this 'hobby', did you ever think it would grow to this stage?

New Jersey is burning to become an OFFICIAL Chapter!

------------------
NJ Chapter F150 Truck Club
http://www.my-f150.com/steveo/njchap.gif

NewJerseyChapter@F150fanatic.com

[This message has been edited by New Jersey Chapter (edited 07-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by New Jersey Chapter (edited 07-28-2000).]

TColegrove 08-07-2000 07:02 PM

I just happened to 'fall over' this thread today. As the guy responsible for banding the folks together in Washington State I'm a bit surprised at the comment "As some of you know, to date I have discouraged the use of the name F-150...".

I specifically asked for clarification on the use Washington Chapter of F150online and received a non-specific answer. It's now been several months since my inquiry and have heard no discouragement.

As a form of feedback - with strict by-laws and policies that have to be followed, and a likelihood of dues, I'm going to have an even harder time keeping the Washington chapter going.

I understand the legal aspects from your point of view - and it usually is Sean's fault.

Funny, isn't it, when the Texas Chapter of F150online takes a trophy it makes front page headlines and promotes the site. But the use of the name is otherwise discouraged.

In light of this - and pending 'legitness' - I'm backing out of the Washington Chapter of F150online.com. We'll just get together under a different umbrella.

It's been fun,

Tom in Tacoma

SS97Ford 08-07-2000 07:17 PM

I never "Rammed" into anyone ? I don't like Dodges...

Well... not that I remember anyway... so it can't be "MY" fault...

SS

webmaster 08-07-2000 11:16 PM

Geez Tom, lighten up.

Do you think it is fair that all of the liability for the clubs out there fall on my shoulders personally? If I have to cough up legal fees out of my pocket to make sure my ass is covered by forming a legal organization, do you not think it is fair to pass along those costs to "chapters" that want to use the name? It frankly surprises me that you would post this here with such an obviously negative tone. You received a non-specific answer several weeks ago because I did not have a specific answer to give. The "Texas Chapter" is not an official chapter, no "Official Chapters" exist. Period.

However, if there are "chapters" that want to become official, there likely will be the necessity to share the costs. If that's unfair, we can forget the whole idea.

Steve

TColegrove 08-08-2000 11:18 AM

I think you may have missed my point Steve...

As I stated, I fully understand the legal aspects for incorporating this website. I would do the same were I in your shoes.

I haven't had the success in getting enthusiastic participants that the Bubbas in Texas have. It's rare that I get more than one or two responses out of 27 members when I ask for ideas/dates/locations for upcoming rallies. To throw in strict by-laws and policies plus a dues-requirement ("What, I gotta pay to meet up with you guys?") would make coordinating this more difficult than I am willing to undertake.

I was of the mind that the ad banners, doing business with the Superchips distributor and the online store was the sustainment of this website. I was also of the mind that the Chapters, word of mouth and the displaying of the window stickers would serve to increase the member base. I thought that by our forming chapters we brought more people to your website and, therefore, increased your revenue via higher referral click-counts. I guess I was wrong in my assumptions. I just don't think it's right for us to have to pay dues to help your business succeed more than we have already.

Don't scrap the whole chapter concept on my account. This is just how I feel - I haven't spoken with the other members here in Washington. I will this evening. They can choose to continue as the Washington Chapter of F150online.com if they wish.

I'm not trying to come across negatively - I just speak my mind and have strong convictions. No lightening up needed - I'm cool...

Tom in Tacoma

bigED 08-08-2000 11:29 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't know anyone in the Texas Chapter named Bubba!

Jusy look at the front page of this web site and tell me if even the web owner Steve has used the name Texas Chapter.

Just my two cents.

Raoul 08-08-2000 11:41 AM

No Bubba? Just what kind of Chapter are you?

I already listed the Virginia Chapter as co-signer when I refinanced my house. Probably wouldn't have gotten the loan otherwise.

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55LS
Dark Toreador Red/Gold
VentShades
Tow Pkg
Line-X

TAZMAN 08-08-2000 02:07 PM

Steve-

I agree with you, it should not all have to fall on you. I am sure that can get it all legit that the people here in TEXAS would be willing to pay dues. Try your best and keep us informed, I would hate to see this site go.

Mumbly 08-08-2000 02:57 PM

Got to put my 2 cents in as well.

Lets me start by saying after we all have signed up to be part of the F150Online we became a club, be it on the Web we or in specific states. If the circumstances of Sean's accident happened above and we all had the stickers from the web site on our back windows, wouldn't that put you in the same legal issue. Just a thought to think about. Maybe someone out there with a legal background could look this up, because it is getting old. I know that we have talked about all this a long while back Steve. We here offered to pay dues and such and you had turned it down. That is a mute point in my mind, but we here in Texas have constructed a group that has no bylaws, no officers and such. This will be interesting to see how you perceive things should be run. What laws are we to follow and such? Who makes these laws? Allot to think about. As for not being a legitimate Chapter that kind of hits me hard, but you seem to win on this Steve since we have promoted the site as such. No club but just members of a Web Page we all like, just like we had talked about. This in turn has brought people to the site. Heck I have been passing out Cards, Stickers and talking my head off at Rallies just for this reason. Hence we have incurred a few of our own expenses for the advertisement of the site. This is turn we use the www.f150online.com to organize our events and happening.

To finish this though The Texas Chapter of “TBA” is a promotional tool of fun. For what is the Question??

We come together and have a great time. This will continue!!

ps. I will be contacting the Texas Chapter Members since it is there group not just mine on this issue.

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Part of The Texas Chapter of ????
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flareside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, Gaylord Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work rhigh@nortelnetworks.com
Anytime mumbly_f150@yahoo.com
Home mumbly@gte.net

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/L...os/hobtail.gif

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 08-08-2000).]

DAVENSA 08-08-2000 04:19 PM

Steve,
I also have talked to you about club events and would support a club fee, dues or what ever else you might want to call it. Hell we just want to have fun here in Texas and hopefully meet the other member across the U.S and Canada, and anyone else who wants to come visit...I also used to belong to a car club when I owned my Z28 and used to road race it with the club, we got insurance for those meets and my speeds were over 150 mph. So I know the insurance cant be that bad if all we are doing is driving Mrs Daisy..(jk)..But Steve we are willing to go the distance if you can meet us half way..The Chapter idea started by me (I think) I myself have spent well over 400 dollars on stickers and door magnets, so I have alot to loose if this all goes in the toilet. The Texas Chapter will survive and go on, we are a tight bunch, we are like a faimily now and we know we would have never met if it wasnt for this site, thank you. But we all want it to grow, faster than you want but we do want more..I dont know how many memeber we have in the Texas Chapter now but it has to be atleast 50-60.
I know how Tom feels, putting on Rallies is alot of work, I know, I have put on 2 so far and am considering San Antonio Rally II for Feb 2001....so I do know...But the fun and friendship out weighs the headaches 100%. You know how we are, you came out to meet us at TMS, we are dedicated to this site and would like to remain some of your biggest supporters, but we need to know that we are going to become legit, if we cant call ourselves a club all we are is a gang of truck guys and gals.
We dont want to look for a new home, we feel this is our home and we have alot of friends here, including you. Let us know how the attorney talk goes....Dave

Tamster 08-08-2000 04:19 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I really don't see how any liability in the theoretical case of Sean's accident could possibly be held on the F150Online.com site, any more than a bumper sticker that promotes a radio station would bring liability upon THEM if *I* hit somebody (in which case, that would also be Sean's fault, you can be sure).

Yup, we tend to do things "in a big way" here in Texas, but I don't see what the "big deal" is. In our case, the "chapter" grew because HEY, the more the merrier!! Plenty of our regular rally attendees are from out-of-state. The group could have renamed itself for events such as our rallies, or the Heat Wave, but didn't because they wanted credit for bringing them together to go to Steve. In fact, when I had the original shirts made for DAVENSA and myself, they simply said "TX Chapter, F150Online." I was asked (I don't remember by whom) that all the new shirts and caps say "F150Online.com" to promote the site as much as possible.

There's my 2 cents.....
Tam

------------------
TamsHerOwnBoss@aol.com

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumb...100&Sequence=0

My F-150 looks suspiciously like a little green Chevy Cavalier. Not lifted, not lowered, no snug-top or nerf bars. Two F-150Online stickers on the back glass, and Texas Plates that read "TAMSTR"...Dave says she'll be a truck when she grows up.

[This message has been edited by Tamster (edited 08-08-2000).]

Raoul 08-08-2000 04:36 PM

Tamster here's a scenario, mind you this hasn't happened, yet.

Lew B and I attended the Norfolk Rally.
I offered a Ford blanket as a prize.
Lew wins the blanket and is infested with fleas.
Now, Lew had already met me and should have known he'd get fleas but,
who do you think he's going after?
Me, or millionaire, internet guru Steve?