F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Questions About The Site? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/questions-about-site-31/)
-   -   Chapters and Site name usage (https://www.f150online.com/forums/questions-about-site/14421-chapters-site-name-usage.html)

New Jersey Chapter 07-27-2000 08:24 PM

Chapters and Site name usage

The Texas Chapter of F-150 Online,
This taken from the home page and the fact that one 'chapter' has registered and taken top honors at public events, does this mean that other groups of registered site members can officially organize and be recognized as 'chapters' of this site and use the site name for 'chapter' events?

steveo 07-28-2000 02:32 AM

you would think but who knows.....

webmaster 07-28-2000 10:21 AM

I am (finally) meeting with my attorney next week to make this site "legit" in the eyes of Uncle Sam as well as take some legal action for harassment against a troublesome user.

After this meeting, I should have the groundwork in place to allow for regional "chapters" of F-150 Online. Keep in mind though that to use the name there will likely be strict by-laws and policies that have to be followed. There may also be a dues requirement of some sort, though I have yet to work that out.

As some of you know, to date I have discouraged the use of the name F-150 Online external to this site because all of the liability of that name fell on me, personally.

Let's take a worst case scenario (and in this litigious society I sadly have to), Sean (it's always his fault anyway) rams into someone on the Interstate and kills them. The insurance company happens to see the F-150 Online chapter decal on his door. Who do you think may be getting a call?

Steve

New Jersey Chapter 07-28-2000 09:36 PM

Thank you for the response Steve (webmaster). Will look forward to hearing more about this.

When you started this 'hobby', did you ever think it would grow to this stage?

New Jersey is burning to become an OFFICIAL Chapter!

------------------
NJ Chapter F150 Truck Club
http://www.my-f150.com/steveo/njchap.gif

NewJerseyChapter@F150fanatic.com

[This message has been edited by New Jersey Chapter (edited 07-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by New Jersey Chapter (edited 07-28-2000).]

TColegrove 08-07-2000 07:02 PM

I just happened to 'fall over' this thread today. As the guy responsible for banding the folks together in Washington State I'm a bit surprised at the comment "As some of you know, to date I have discouraged the use of the name F-150...".

I specifically asked for clarification on the use Washington Chapter of F150online and received a non-specific answer. It's now been several months since my inquiry and have heard no discouragement.

As a form of feedback - with strict by-laws and policies that have to be followed, and a likelihood of dues, I'm going to have an even harder time keeping the Washington chapter going.

I understand the legal aspects from your point of view - and it usually is Sean's fault.

Funny, isn't it, when the Texas Chapter of F150online takes a trophy it makes front page headlines and promotes the site. But the use of the name is otherwise discouraged.

In light of this - and pending 'legitness' - I'm backing out of the Washington Chapter of F150online.com. We'll just get together under a different umbrella.

It's been fun,

Tom in Tacoma

SS97Ford 08-07-2000 07:17 PM

I never "Rammed" into anyone ? I don't like Dodges...

Well... not that I remember anyway... so it can't be "MY" fault...

SS

webmaster 08-07-2000 11:16 PM

Geez Tom, lighten up.

Do you think it is fair that all of the liability for the clubs out there fall on my shoulders personally? If I have to cough up legal fees out of my pocket to make sure my ass is covered by forming a legal organization, do you not think it is fair to pass along those costs to "chapters" that want to use the name? It frankly surprises me that you would post this here with such an obviously negative tone. You received a non-specific answer several weeks ago because I did not have a specific answer to give. The "Texas Chapter" is not an official chapter, no "Official Chapters" exist. Period.

However, if there are "chapters" that want to become official, there likely will be the necessity to share the costs. If that's unfair, we can forget the whole idea.

Steve

TColegrove 08-08-2000 11:18 AM

I think you may have missed my point Steve...

As I stated, I fully understand the legal aspects for incorporating this website. I would do the same were I in your shoes.

I haven't had the success in getting enthusiastic participants that the Bubbas in Texas have. It's rare that I get more than one or two responses out of 27 members when I ask for ideas/dates/locations for upcoming rallies. To throw in strict by-laws and policies plus a dues-requirement ("What, I gotta pay to meet up with you guys?") would make coordinating this more difficult than I am willing to undertake.

I was of the mind that the ad banners, doing business with the Superchips distributor and the online store was the sustainment of this website. I was also of the mind that the Chapters, word of mouth and the displaying of the window stickers would serve to increase the member base. I thought that by our forming chapters we brought more people to your website and, therefore, increased your revenue via higher referral click-counts. I guess I was wrong in my assumptions. I just don't think it's right for us to have to pay dues to help your business succeed more than we have already.

Don't scrap the whole chapter concept on my account. This is just how I feel - I haven't spoken with the other members here in Washington. I will this evening. They can choose to continue as the Washington Chapter of F150online.com if they wish.

I'm not trying to come across negatively - I just speak my mind and have strong convictions. No lightening up needed - I'm cool...

Tom in Tacoma

bigED 08-08-2000 11:29 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't know anyone in the Texas Chapter named Bubba!

Jusy look at the front page of this web site and tell me if even the web owner Steve has used the name Texas Chapter.

Just my two cents.

Raoul 08-08-2000 11:41 AM

No Bubba? Just what kind of Chapter are you?

I already listed the Virginia Chapter as co-signer when I refinanced my house. Probably wouldn't have gotten the loan otherwise.

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55LS
Dark Toreador Red/Gold
VentShades
Tow Pkg
Line-X

TAZMAN 08-08-2000 02:07 PM

Steve-

I agree with you, it should not all have to fall on you. I am sure that can get it all legit that the people here in TEXAS would be willing to pay dues. Try your best and keep us informed, I would hate to see this site go.

Mumbly 08-08-2000 02:57 PM

Got to put my 2 cents in as well.

Lets me start by saying after we all have signed up to be part of the F150Online we became a club, be it on the Web we or in specific states. If the circumstances of Sean's accident happened above and we all had the stickers from the web site on our back windows, wouldn't that put you in the same legal issue. Just a thought to think about. Maybe someone out there with a legal background could look this up, because it is getting old. I know that we have talked about all this a long while back Steve. We here offered to pay dues and such and you had turned it down. That is a mute point in my mind, but we here in Texas have constructed a group that has no bylaws, no officers and such. This will be interesting to see how you perceive things should be run. What laws are we to follow and such? Who makes these laws? Allot to think about. As for not being a legitimate Chapter that kind of hits me hard, but you seem to win on this Steve since we have promoted the site as such. No club but just members of a Web Page we all like, just like we had talked about. This in turn has brought people to the site. Heck I have been passing out Cards, Stickers and talking my head off at Rallies just for this reason. Hence we have incurred a few of our own expenses for the advertisement of the site. This is turn we use the www.f150online.com to organize our events and happening.

To finish this though The Texas Chapter of “TBA” is a promotional tool of fun. For what is the Question??

We come together and have a great time. This will continue!!

ps. I will be contacting the Texas Chapter Members since it is there group not just mine on this issue.

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Part of The Texas Chapter of ????
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flareside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, Gaylord Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work rhigh@nortelnetworks.com
Anytime mumbly_f150@yahoo.com
Home mumbly@gte.net

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/L...os/hobtail.gif

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 08-08-2000).]

DAVENSA 08-08-2000 04:19 PM

Steve,
I also have talked to you about club events and would support a club fee, dues or what ever else you might want to call it. Hell we just want to have fun here in Texas and hopefully meet the other member across the U.S and Canada, and anyone else who wants to come visit...I also used to belong to a car club when I owned my Z28 and used to road race it with the club, we got insurance for those meets and my speeds were over 150 mph. So I know the insurance cant be that bad if all we are doing is driving Mrs Daisy..(jk)..But Steve we are willing to go the distance if you can meet us half way..The Chapter idea started by me (I think) I myself have spent well over 400 dollars on stickers and door magnets, so I have alot to loose if this all goes in the toilet. The Texas Chapter will survive and go on, we are a tight bunch, we are like a faimily now and we know we would have never met if it wasnt for this site, thank you. But we all want it to grow, faster than you want but we do want more..I dont know how many memeber we have in the Texas Chapter now but it has to be atleast 50-60.
I know how Tom feels, putting on Rallies is alot of work, I know, I have put on 2 so far and am considering San Antonio Rally II for Feb 2001....so I do know...But the fun and friendship out weighs the headaches 100%. You know how we are, you came out to meet us at TMS, we are dedicated to this site and would like to remain some of your biggest supporters, but we need to know that we are going to become legit, if we cant call ourselves a club all we are is a gang of truck guys and gals.
We dont want to look for a new home, we feel this is our home and we have alot of friends here, including you. Let us know how the attorney talk goes....Dave

Tamster 08-08-2000 04:19 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I really don't see how any liability in the theoretical case of Sean's accident could possibly be held on the F150Online.com site, any more than a bumper sticker that promotes a radio station would bring liability upon THEM if *I* hit somebody (in which case, that would also be Sean's fault, you can be sure).

Yup, we tend to do things "in a big way" here in Texas, but I don't see what the "big deal" is. In our case, the "chapter" grew because HEY, the more the merrier!! Plenty of our regular rally attendees are from out-of-state. The group could have renamed itself for events such as our rallies, or the Heat Wave, but didn't because they wanted credit for bringing them together to go to Steve. In fact, when I had the original shirts made for DAVENSA and myself, they simply said "TX Chapter, F150Online." I was asked (I don't remember by whom) that all the new shirts and caps say "F150Online.com" to promote the site as much as possible.

There's my 2 cents.....
Tam

------------------
TamsHerOwnBoss@aol.com

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumb...100&Sequence=0

My F-150 looks suspiciously like a little green Chevy Cavalier. Not lifted, not lowered, no snug-top or nerf bars. Two F-150Online stickers on the back glass, and Texas Plates that read "TAMSTR"...Dave says she'll be a truck when she grows up.

[This message has been edited by Tamster (edited 08-08-2000).]

Raoul 08-08-2000 04:36 PM

Tamster here's a scenario, mind you this hasn't happened, yet.

Lew B and I attended the Norfolk Rally.
I offered a Ford blanket as a prize.
Lew wins the blanket and is infested with fleas.
Now, Lew had already met me and should have known he'd get fleas but,
who do you think he's going after?
Me, or millionaire, internet guru Steve?

GO_RILA 08-08-2000 04:46 PM

Raoul -

I would go after the "Red Hot Chili Peppers".

redwing 08-08-2000 05:40 PM

2 more cents,

I have to second what Tamster said. With a large Redwing sticker in my back window, do you really think Mike Illich,(owner of the Redwings and Tigers)really cares how I drive, who I hit , or what My driving record is?
What if I have my Redwings jersey on an punch someone in the nose? Then do they sue the shirt company too? I am no lawyer but come on, lets get real !
IF this were a real Issue of liability someone would have gotten a zillion dollars from it and all the sticker companies would be out of buisness !!

As for this site, I am offering to show Mtknee a good time while he is 5 states from home on a buisness trip.

I am also looking at coming to Texas next Feb. rather than Florida for my winter vacation. A beach is a beach to me, the ONLY reason for the change is the hope that I can meet the people in Texas that I consider friends. Hoping they will do for me what I'm trying to do for MtKnee.( by the way Dave If you do a S.A. rally in late Feb Of 2001, Im there !!! )

So my point is this. If not for this site all us regional groups would be having our fun not knowing the others exist. For that I must say A huge Thanks to OUR Webmaster Steve.

As for dues..HELLO???

I think all the regional recruters,( you know who you are) need to be thanked and maybe even given a commission for all the FREE advertising they have been doing.

As a owner/operator of a small buisness I wish I had 6000 or so salesmen accross this planet selling my services for FREE!!!

I think the cart is so far in front of the horse that the horse is getting lost looking for it.

Redwing

------------------
2000, F-150, XLT, SC, Flareside, 4x4, 5.4, 3.55ls, ORP,
Tow Package,BFG Allterrain T/A KO's
Downey soft tonneau, Black Westin step bars
Airaid FIPK from the Online store
Superchip from Mike Troyer
Bright REDWINGS red

Rewired driving lights from low beam dependant
to keyed toggle switch.

My Ford history; Started at Age 15 1965 f-100, 1976 f-250,
1979 f-150, 1989 Bronco2, 1990 full size Bronco,
1995 Explorer(wifes car), 2000 f-150

GO_RILA 08-08-2000 05:57 PM

Sean -

I was just wondering. Do you think if I got rear-ended by a truck with Bankston stickers on it there's a chance that we could hold Bill personally liable?

webmaster 08-08-2000 06:50 PM

Allright folks, this "controversy" is getting a little out of hand. The "dues" in question (which still don't exist) would not profit ME in any way, they would simply support the legal costs of setting up and official organization that supports the "club" or "chapter" concept. What can that cost, $500? Split among 50 state, $10 per "chapter" per year? As far as the "rules" etc, they would be in place so the F-150 Online "brand", logos, etc. are used standardized and used consistently across the "chapters."

lew b 08-08-2000 07:57 PM

raoul, so that is where all the fleas came from,, and think i threw out the wife and kids thinking that they were the problem...man if i only knew,,maybe i should let them back in

------------------
97 f150 xlt SuperCab 4.2L, Auto, K&N Air Filter,Captain's Chairs, Magnum Bug Deflector, GTS Headlite Covers, AVS Slotted Tailite Covers, AVS Window Deflectors, Ford Bedliner, Ford Blanket ( Thanks Raoul )

"Just FORD It"

gunman 08-08-2000 07:58 PM

damn,
keyboards a flamin' aren't they?
now i'm a BUBBA; born in NEW YORK CITY?
this MUST have been sean's fault.

the gunman

------------------
97 f150 xlt named: "locked & lowered",sc,4.6,auto,tow,3.55ls,superchip,mpc deflector,hellwig rear sway bar,k&n-w/home made filter bracket,belltech 2"/4" drop,flowmaster delta-flow 50, borla quad tips,tekstyle tonneu cover,rhino lining,s&w.

gunman 08-08-2000 08:16 PM

now on a more serious note:
i stumbled upon this site shortly after it was started. it did take a few years to have our first rally. october '99 in austin, i think. ever since then, every rally, or get together has been better than the first. i am planning on heading up the rally to the truck races next year in fort worth. dues are not a problem for me, although with all the advertising, i thought this would have easily made up any losses. if we continue/have chapters, dues would probably be needed more for them to help with the get togethers. i don't know. i do feel this group, the texas group, is like a family. dave, you started making my eyes water! especially the part about the z28 --shame on you! but seriously folks, abandoning this site is not the answer. setting too many rules is not the answer. besides, one main club with many chapters is what happens all over the us.
later,
gunman

------------------
97 f150 xlt named: "locked & lowered",sc,4.6,auto,tow,3.55ls,superchip,mpc deflector,hellwig rear sway bar,k&n-w/home made filter bracket,belltech 2"/4" drop,flowmaster delta-flow 50, borla quad tips,tekstyle tonneu cover,rhino lining,s&w.

DAVENSA 08-08-2000 08:49 PM

Steve (webmaster),
Their you go, get in it..We are just looking for answers just like you. Just keep us informed. Lets make this work, it can be very very BIG!! We all want to be a part of it......MORE..Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

webmaster 08-08-2000 08:53 PM

Let me correct a misperception that is being perpetuated here. The "dues" have nothing to do with this web site. There are no, nor will there ever be membership fees or costs to use this site.

The "dues" would be to support an "offline" organization or club. There needs to be a distinction here. Yes, there is money coming into the site from advertising and store sales, but that money will not be used to establish or support clubs, with the exception, perhaps of some resources online for a "clubs" usage, nor do I suspect I will have the time to oversee such an offline organization, which leads to the need to have rules.

Also keep in mind that all of this is only speculation. I am not committing to anything here. The end result of all this might be to tell everyone who is currently using "F-150 Online" in their club's name to remove it. I don't frankly know at this point in time.

As far as the argument presented a couple of times about the clubs promoting the site so they should not cost anything ... if I were to mandate that no club events could be mentioned or arranged on this site, how far would the club get? It costs money to run this site and the attention it gets "offline" does boost number, but what is the true end result? More traffic to the site means higher monthly maintenance costs. Viscious circle, eh?

And a quick followup to some the comments that seem to display frustration towards TX using the terms "F-150 Online Chapter..." When I was down in TX a few months ago, I had the good fortune to meet Sean, Mudder, etc. and they had already been using this term. Anyone can ask Sean, I discouraged the use of the name then. However, that is their "identity" right now, so perhaps it is a bit hypocritical to let it slide. Anyone else who has asked to use "F-150 Online Chapter" for their club name has gotten the same response, please wait until I say it is ok...nothing has changed on that front.

Steve

Mumbly 08-08-2000 09:31 PM

Steve, I guess allot of the people are tired of waiting. We for one have waited the longest. As for no permission here is the blurb from your email. Dated Feb 10 2000

------------------------
As far as the next rally goes, the F150ONLINE name usage is not really
a big
deal, as to this point you have not formed an official organization
with
that name, that is where the problem would lie. Once the club becomes
an
*official* organization with bylaws, paying members, etc. that is when
I
need to be concerned with the name (if it carries the F150ONLINE name).

Does that clarify or confuse? :-)

Epp
-----------------------------

We abided by no rules or dues, all we do is get together. We are looking for a place that will make a larger uniform for all chapters. I starting to wonder if this is worth the effort.

Steve since this has started I have heard of rumors that the f150onlie is up for sale and you are waiting for a buyer. If true what is the future of us as chapters here anyway.

I have been also talking with Texas Chapter members all day and I will be in contact with the other leaders of the other chapters maybe we as a national group we will figure out what we want to do.

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 08-08-2000).]

Cr1028 08-08-2000 10:13 PM

I don't understand. If the Texas Chapter was a problem and discouraged as a club, then why is it proudly displayed on the front page. Also, if someone were in a wreck displaying the Texas chapter as opposed to the standard f150online sticker, would that not put the site at less risk? They would see the big Texas Chapter letters first. I'm also a member of the Arlington Chapter of TX4X4 and there are no dues and no concerns about lawsuits. Every chapter has a sticker that displays the area name(such as arlington) and then TX4x4. And I doubt seriously that anyone I hit will sue the University of North Texas because I have their sticker on my back window, even though I am a student there. I think the story would be different if we worked for the site or were owners in it. We don't drive company trucks so I just don't understand the hypothetical question. Someone please explain to the poor college student

webmaster 08-08-2000 10:57 PM

Steve since this has started I have heard of rumors that the f150onlie is up for sale and you are waiting for a buyer. If true what is the future of us as chapters here anyway.
Really?? Cool!! Where did you hear that rumor and did they say how much it is worth?

We don't drive company trucks so I just don't understand the hypothetical question. Someone please explain to the poor college student
Here is where there is a potential problem...say the a "chapter" is having an event, one of the vehicles is involved in some sort of legal problem that could involve a lawsuit, the event is an "F-150 Online Rally." Who (theoritically) has the deepest pockets? The organization or the individual?

Mumbly, what does that email say that I have not been saying all along? Did you post it to contradict something I've said otherwise? No "official" organization "F-150 Online" exists, unless there happens to be a problem, if a lawyer is so inclined. Why does nobody understand this or appreciate the position I am in???

Can we end this thread? There is no answer and I cannot promise you one right now. Period.

Tamster 08-08-2000 10:57 PM

I am still not getting it. Why would we need "dues" to support an "offline organization." No matter what we label it, we already HAVE an "offline organization," and we've survived pretty well without dues. As a group, we have been organizing and attending activities for about a year. The subject of dues was suggested, to my understanding, to show support and gratitude to Steve for bringing everyone together, and to keep his expenses down. But honestly...this "Texas Chapter" is now a (fast-growing) group of people who know each other well, are great friends, and as Dave and Gunman said, are like a family. We really don't need official validation or structurization for that!! Using the site name as our "Logo" was to promote the site for Steve's benefit, and to hopefully add more members that we could meet and add to our group of friends. THAT is the cycle that we have been focusing on.

With all the 2 cents being added here, we might be able to scrap all the financial issues, anyway, eh??

Tamster

webmaster 08-08-2000 11:08 PM

OK PEOPLE READ THIS BECAUSE MANY OF YOU ARE CHOOSING TO IGNORE THE SIMPLE THINGS THAT I AM SAYING:

1. NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THAT YOU DISBAND YOUR CLUBS.

2. ALONG WITH THE USE OF THE NAME F-150 ONLINE IN A CLUB'S NAME THERE COMES POTENTIAL PERSONAL LIABILITY FOR ME, AS I AM F-150 ONLINE.

3. IF WE WANT TO ESTABLISH A LEGITIMATE OFFLINE ORGANIZATION THAT CAN USE THE NAME F-150 ONLINE LAWYERS WILL HAVE TO BE PAID, STANDARD WILL HAVE TO BE MET. THOSE LAWYERS COSTS WOULD LIKELY BE PASSED ALONG TO THE "CHAPTERS" IN THE FORM OF DUES.

4. NOTHING, I REPEAT, NOTHING, HAS BEEN DECIDED AT THIS POINT. IT IS ALL SPECULATION!

GET IT?????

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 08-08-2000).]

SS97Ford 08-09-2000 12:15 AM

OK... First off, "HOW" & "WHY" am "I" the one who is speculated to have a wreck & cause a lawyer to try to shut down the site & put Steve behind bars for the next 20 years & not be able to run the site ???? LOL !!!

Ok, I am seeing "EVERYONE'S" side of the story & am NOW having a hard time thinking of HOW to say the things on my mind w/out writing a book here.

1.) This is a big question for me & as mentioned by several people above w/out response from Steve that I remember seeing. What is the difference of the "Tx. Chapter" stickers & the "F150online.com" stickers that we bought or were given by Steve ? I mean, if we had a "Get together" like we do & Davensa runs over a little old lady who couldn't see over the steering wheel in that monster truck of his & squashes her little rusty furred poodle & she gets p.o.'d & wants restitution.... what happens ? Say the only sticker on the truck was the sticker Dave got from Steve himself. What's the difference in that sticker & the Tx. Chapter stickers ? They both say F150online.com on them. There have never been any dues to be a member of this site once you bought one of the site stickers, so why should there be now ? Ok, wrong wording. The dues are ONLY for "Insurance" payments right ? I can see how a lawyer could suggest having something like this for "OFFICIAL clubs". But like Buck said, we are just a BIG group of Texans who like to get together. Every couple of months, we seem to have a big rally. Someone or several people help spread the word & we/they/all of us start making a list of who will show up. We don't have an official "President" or a "Board"... We are "not" structured in anyway really. There are just a few people who want to & who have the time to "ORGANIZE" these "Get togethers". But as for being an "Official" or a "Legal" club, I guess we are NOT.

2.) As for dues. Now that Steve has clarified the "dues" as being $ to pay for "Insurance" only, that is a bit different. If it was $500 a year & broke down to only $10 per state, that is pretty cheap & not worth arguing about.
BUT... Is your lawyer telling you that this is the correct legal procedure for a situation like this ? OFF-line, we are just a bunch of people who have liked this site & have met eachother because of that & now we get together every now & then. Should that really have a "Legal Price" to it ? I don't know. I think our legal system has been screwed up for a long time. Especially since the JERKOFF won a couple mil. from McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on his dumba**....
It just ain't right.

I don't know the laws in this area, but something just doesn't seem right about Steve being liable for someone getting in an accident & due to them having a sticker on their window that has the name of his website on it, that it makes him responsible. Steve didn't have control of the individual that squashed the rusty furred, blurry eyed poodle. That is that persons responsibility, not Steves.
But like I said, laws are unclear. It all depends on how that judge interprets them to whatever situation is at hand.

I don't even know where I'm going at this point as y'all can probably tell...
Steve, I'm not trying to be a jerk, don't think that, but everyone's got good points, even you, due to the way some legal situations are handled these days in the courts such as the guy who should have known that his coffee would be hot.

I was under the impression for a while now that you didn't care if we used the website name for our group/club/whatever you want to call us as long as we were not an "official Club" ? Which brings me to the question of what defines us as an "Official" club ?

I am seeing both sides and if a lawyer who specializes in this type of law says get insurance, well then I guess that's something... But, also... would this be federal laws or just state laws that require this insurance ? If the price tag broke down to about $0.25 per member or in that range of $10 per state as you mentioned big deal. That's cheap. People would pay that.

I think you may have hurt the Texas Chapters' feelings though when you said/posted, "The Texas Chapter is not an official Chapter", even though you call us that & have it on the front page.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I have enough of that going on in life every day already,... I'm just confused about the name/sticker/dues thing when we all bought stickers from you in the beginning & put them on our trucks & drove around together. We were a club then w/the sites name on our vehicles... Just no-one had thought of or made a customized sticker to make it more personal like it is now....

It has become like a big family now... Family feuds are no fun...

Speaking of family... will one of my brethren float me a loan ?????$$$$$

SS

2000sport 08-09-2000 12:32 AM

Ok here is my 2 cents

Steve I understand that nothing has been decided but If I read correctly you state that without this site where would the chapters be. Well I would imagine we would still be here. We are in the process of developing a more professional website for our chapter right now. I mean we could very easily promote our site or we could promote yours. Well I for one would rather promote yours and use ours as a point of reference for what we are all about. Now I guess it all comes down to what you want but remember this THE TEXAS CHAPTER will survive either way. We will still have our meets no matter what because we are like a family now.

------------------
TRUCK
2000 F150 Sport XLT 4.2L V6 Bright Red Flareside S/C. CD Player.

MODS
Code Alarm Surestart LX, Window Tint, K&N Filter. Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust with 3.5" chrome tips, Superchip,Muth Signal Mirrors, clear corner lenses, ultra white halogen headlights, Lumi Logo In the front, Black Westin Nerf Bars, Red Wire Loom throughout the engine, Pioneer DEH-P7000R cd player, COBRA CB Radio.

Just purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 for mrs2ksport

http://communities.msn.com/2000sport

http://communities.msn.com/TexasChapter

cableguy 08-09-2000 01:10 AM

Hey all, check under the SEMA site for laws on "clubs"...there is info there.
How about, not the issue of being sued by anyone for an accident, but for using a registered trademark name...who sues who there? hmmmm.
Enough of all the suing and what name etc....do like most other clubs, call yourself(your club), ie "pharside", "low intentions", etc. But use this site as you normally would, and then just post, ie "Pharside" is meeting this month, blah, blah, blah. While your attending your meeting mention how and where you met, etc...F150ONLINE.COM...if your specific club wants to pay dues or form any official by-laws have at it. Check out some of the club sites from SEMA and see how they do it. Some clubs are very organized and some are the way the Great Texas Chapter (ooopps) are (no dues, but having just a good ole time together).
Lets get off this and just use this forum like we always have...a site to post on, period. When ya meeting and where, etc.
Hell I go wherever anyone is meeting anddo I have the time to make the drive. Geez I left last month at 12am from Albuquerque, drove to Denver (6hours), met a small but great group of folks spent time at a car show (showing our trucks proudly) and drove 6 hours home to arrive back in Albq. by 11pm that same night. 23 hours to go meet and join up with a group of fellow f-150 truck owners that I met from reading this forum. Why not choice a totally unrelated name and then break it into regional groups, and gosh we just happen to all meet up here because it is a greatforum to use...hmmm
My 1/2 cents worth

franks&beans 08-09-2000 02:50 AM

We agree with Cableguy. Just use a name that doesn't refer to a specific website.

ie. F150 SoCal Chapter
F150 Tx Chapter
F150 Wa Chapter
F150 New Jersey Chapter and so on....

And look, no dues! Just a bunch of great people and their trucks.

Darin and Susan in San Diego, CA

DAVENSA 08-09-2000 09:29 AM

I HAVE A HEADACHE........

Mumbly 08-09-2000 10:26 AM

It contradicts you discouraging us not to use the F150Online name. We have followed the rules that you implied so no harm no foul. This is a mute point now.

The main thing of this Chapter issue in my mind has to do with keeping the Chapters together. We don't want to split. We are NOT disbanding. What we want is a site that will keep us together. At the moment it looks like everyone is going to there own sites for Chapter dealing. The New Jersey Chapter has a web page with board and chat room as do the Mich. folk with ATST’s site. Tom will most likely do so as well , The Cal. guys are starting to get into all of this and we are building one as well. What we want is a site that supports us as much as we support it. If we take on the Club aspect not with the Web Site name in it that might work, but we will not have the advertisement power that I believe we need. The sticker reads F150 TX Chapter would not let people in on where to go to get to know us. If we put our own web addresses on the sticker then we are separated. I believe and have seen how having the main Web Site on our Texas Chapter stickers has help us as well as the F150Online in members.

One thing is that I don't talk with any of the other chapters that much anymore. Heck maybe our focus is out in left field on this thread, and I think that this issue is rooted deeper than we see here.

Steve as for a sale of F150Online is that what you want?? What are your future plans for the site Steve, we as members are concerned??

bigED 08-09-2000 11:00 AM

I just got a new windshield sticker...anyone wanna guess what it says?

I got a maganet too.

Mabey I should have posted this under
"Congrats to MUDDER and bigED"
then it would be back to the top.

Hey we can't leave this site until my post numbers get above one hundred!!

2000sport 08-09-2000 11:10 AM

BigEd you beat me to it I was gonna get on this morning and say what are you gonna do if you had to start over with post # again.LOL

4x4Yankee 08-09-2000 11:49 AM

So let me see if I've got this right...
If Sean would drive carefully we would not have any problems ?

webmaster 08-09-2000 11:50 AM

mumbly (and all),

Let me repeat this another way and maybe it will put a temporary end to this, at least until I have some more firm answers:

F-150 Online was established as online organization. With that there come certain legal protection for the site owner/operator. What we are talking about here is evolving the site into an online/offline organization, an intention that I never intended to undertake.

I will repeat over and over again, with this type of organization comes more legal liability with F-150 Online. What comes along with more legal liability are legal fees. We can make this quite simple:

1) If none of the "chapters" are willing to share the costs to create a legitimate offline organization, then the use of the name "F-150 Online" in a "clubs" name will be prohibited, simple as that.

2) If a "club" wants to use the name "F-150 Online" there will be standards, by-laws, rules, etc. If the club does not want to abide by these they will not be able to use "F-150 Online" in their name.

3) Nobody is advocating the elimination of any existing groups, nor trying to repress the creating of new groups. You can still use the F-150 Online Message Boards to "recruit" or "promote" your events. No problem.

Does everyone get this??

I am not going to entertain answering the following...

[qoute]Steve as for a sale of F150Online is that what you want?? What are your future plans for the site Steve, we as members are concerned??[/quote]

...until I hear from whom you heard the rumor that it is up for sale. https://www.f150online.com/f150board/wink.gif

Steve

TColegrove 08-09-2000 11:50 AM

I guess I really opened a can of worms this time didn't I? In reading others postings I perceive a common thread - the support the chapters feel they provide the site and their perception of a lack of support from the website.

Speaking for myself, one of the most frustrating things to me is the effort I put forth in supporting this website and I don't perceive that I'm getting any support in return. I can't tell you the number of times I've followed trucks into parking lots just to expound the value of F150online.com and how the guy/gal really ought to go visit it. I've barged in on lunching truck owners to tell them the same. There have been dozens of times I've floored my truck just so I can pull in front of another F-Series truck in an attempt to get them to see the F150online.com sticker on my back slider. The WA Chapter is registered for a show in Tacoma on the 19th under the F150online.com club affiliation. Every opportunity to rain praise on this website has been taken.

During the early days of this site (I've been a regular since November 10th, 1997) the email server died and we were all lost without it. Many others and I offered financial assistance - mine was returned. I've offered to ship a Pentium-class server to help support the cause - 'no thank you' was the response. I've seen over and over again how we, the general membership, have offered to pay subscription/membership fees - we've never been taken up on our offers.

Steve, I'm grateful that you've shared your hobby with us. I've personally benefited greatly from what you've made possible. I've attempted to contribute where and when I could. But I know that I've supported this website and have contributed to increasing the member base. While that increase can be seen as a need for greater bandwidth and storage capacity - it can also be seen as an opportunity to seize.

What was a hobby has become a business - incorporated or not - like it or not. I picture myself as one of those people that hand out those annoying handbills in parking lots to advertise a business. The difference is that those people are paid to perform that advertising deed, or they perform that task for free because they believe in the value of what they are advertising - they aren't charged dues for the right to spread the word of a business's value.

I won't post on this subject any more - to me it's a dead issue now. I've contacted the Washington Chapter members to let them know they can continue with a F150online.com affiliation provided they meet Steve's conditions and dues requirements. But they will do it without me. I'm not stopping people in the parking lots anymore either, I'm tired of not receiving the same level of support that I put forth.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Tom in Tacoma