Consumer Reports September 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Multiple Usernames
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports September 2007

Consumer Reports. September 2007 issue.

Ford F150 and Ford F250 rated next to last. Just ahead of Dodge But behind Toyota, Chevrolet, and GMC.

Poor Ford. Just can't get that quality up to others standards.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Old news

Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
Old news
(sep '07 issue)
but not that stupid

Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by songkrai
Consumer Reports. September 2007 issue.

Ford F150 and Ford F250 rated next to last. Just ahead of Dodge But behind Toyota, Chevrolet, and GMC.

Poor Ford. Just can't get that quality up to others standards.

That's ok, I keep a tow strap for the other brands in the back. If CR owned the GM/Chevy vehicles I had, that list would have a different order.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Raoul
(sep '07 issue)
but not that stupid
They keep repeating the same stuff. The previous CR issue rated the reliability of the 2W F150 average and the 4W below average. They are just Reiterating the old rating of the F150. Same old news, They just slapped a new cover to the September edition for those who missed the rating of the previous issue .

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Multiple Usernames
Pedicted Reliability: "Fair"

If this is 'old news' then it's kind of sad as quality has not improved over time.

Consumer Reports obtains it's reliability ratings from a survey it sends out to subscribers. So are the subscribers not telling the truth? Or maybe the survey is slanted in some way towards other brands?

That is just the 'Predicted Reliability'.

The overall rating in the magazine is judged by the staff of Consumer Reports.

September 2007 issue of Consumer Reports. The first two sentences mention:

"ride isn't that good"

"noisy engine"

"uncomfortable seats"

Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
"ride isn't that good"

It's a TRUCK, not a car........and it rides a lot better with a load.

"noisy engine"

Mine is so quiet I put a low restriction muffler on it just so I could hear it run.......

"uncomfortable seats"

Mine has the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've owned since I had a 87 Sable with the upgrade leather interior.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Suspended
Consumer Reports is the most biased, and anti-american review publication I've ever seen. It's FULL of blatant misinformation and BS. Just flip through and tell me you don't see the fact that ANYTHING American gets hosed, and ANYTHING Japanese is God like according to them.

It's so unbelievably wrong and far off on an individual basis I almost lost my mind trying to read it. I did a direct comparison between my 2006 Ford Focus SE, a car that cost me $13,300 OTD new to my GF's 2005 Acura RSX, a car that cost her $24,500~ new OTD.

I have driven BOTH of those cars extensively, and back to back numerous times. I can say with 100% certainty that my Focus gets 8-10 MPG BETTER mileage ALL the time (She doesn't have a Type s btw, she has the smaller "efficient" engine), the ride quality is 3-4 times better, softer, and more comfortable, her seats are rock hard, and her car isn't sporty by any means.

Overall, I absolutely can't stand driving her car...it rides like complete crap, has poor acceleration, poor mileage, terrible blind spots, and cost a butt load more, and yet Consumer Reports places it quite a bit ahead of the Focus in every single category. Literally. Despite the fact that there is absolutely positively no way that car is a better "value," gets better mileage, or has better ride quality (Oh, did I mention her 100% stock interior has more rattles than a nursery?), and yet it somehow is rated better in every category.

I could go on and show how comparisons just like that throughout CR are completely, utter biased BS...but there's no need. anyone who is dense enough to rely on CR deserves the product they buy because of it

Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Consumer Reports is the most biased, and anti-american review publication I've ever seen. It's FULL of blatant misinformation and BS. Just flip through and tell me you don't see the fact that ANYTHING American gets hosed, and ANYTHING Japanese is God like according to them.

It's so unbelievably wrong and far off on an individual basis I almost lost my mind trying to read it. I did a direct comparison between my 2006 Ford Focus SE, a car that cost me $13,300 OTD new to my GF's 2005 Acura RSX, a car that cost her $24,500~ new OTD.

I have driven BOTH of those cars extensively, and back to back numerous times. I can say with 100% certainty that my Focus gets 8-10 MPG BETTER mileage ALL the time (She doesn't have a Type s btw, she has the smaller "efficient" engine), the ride quality is 3-4 times better, softer, and more comfortable, her seats are rock hard, and her car isn't sporty by any means.

Overall, I absolutely can't stand driving her car...it rides like complete crap, has poor acceleration, poor mileage, terrible blind spots, and cost a butt load more, and yet Consumer Reports places it quite a bit ahead of the Focus in every single category. Literally. Despite the fact that there is absolutely positively no way that car is a better "value," gets better mileage, or has better ride quality (Oh, did I mention her 100% stock interior has more rattles than a nursery?), and yet it somehow is rated better in every category.

I could go on and show how comparisons just like that throughout CR are completely, utter biased BS...but there's no need. anyone who is dense enough to rely on CR deserves the product they buy because of it

I wish Consumer Reports would write articles like that. ^^

Well written my friend !

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM
CR is definitely not a true reading on what goes on in the consumer product world. All you have to do is look at their vacuum, dishwasher and clothes washer reviews to see they only give service to the high end stuff...

Cars should be judged on places like Edmunds and such. They are much more reliable than CR.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by JPRempe
CR is definitely not a true reading on what goes on in the consumer product world. All you have to do is look at their vacuum, dishwasher and clothes washer reviews to see they only give service to the high end stuff...

Cars should be judged on places like Edmunds and such. They are much more reliable than CR.
Thats because like it or not, 90% of things made today ARE CRAP. Made to fall apart fast and hard, so you, the consumer, will go out and buy another one.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Toyota in surprising Consumer Reports auto upset

Consumer Reports has released its annual vehicle reliability survey and Toyota has come out with a black eye. For the first time ever, the Japanese company's Camry has been dropped from the recommended list. Toyota made a corporate decision a few years back to become the world's largest automaker. In doing so, they had to take the focus away from making quality vehicles and shift it to growth. That explains why Toyota as a whole now checks in at No. 5 on Consumer Reports' tally of the most reliable vehicles sold in the United States. Ford has emerged as an unlikely hero in the report thanks to its enormous jump in quality. The "Not your Father's Ford" tagline is taking on a new meaning and people can no longer joke that Ford stands for "fix or repair daily." The top carmaker remains Honda, followed by Acura and Scion. The first American nameplate on the list is Buick, followed by Mercury and then Ford. The least reliable car sold in the United States is Land Rover, followed by Hummer, Cadillac and Mercedes.

From Consumer Advocate / radio show host Clark Howard
http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2007/10/17/#12784

Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by jgonza5
Toyota in surprising Consumer Reports auto upset
From Consumer Advocate / radio show host Clark Howard
http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2007/10/17/#12784
and yet 44% of their "top 39 most reliable" vehicles are Toyota's, TMC is third as a corperation, and Toyota Lexus Scion are three of the top six individual brands?
for like, the two hundreth year in a row?

let's be real for a minute. unlike other v6 transaxle makers since the mid 80's. asian-warner has never had a problem with their high torque level transaxles outright failing. chrystler honda ford gm, and probably others have. chrystler has used the same basic design for over 20 years, it's still not fixed..
in 1985 asian-warner designed their 1987 transaxle family for the v6 Camry platform to hold >280ft-lbs of torque. which is noteable because:
A) it was used almost unmodified for more than a decade with NO problems of ANY kind to note
B) in a 1991 lab study GM annonced it was unable to produce a transaxle capible of holding a mere 220ft-lbs, and it believe it was unachiveable for them to make a long-term transaxle to hold 200ft-lbs at an OEM level
nice!

They will figure out the minor issue with v6 transmissions slipping. Which only happens when initially engaging third gear when the fluid is cold below oeprating spec on some camry/ES350's which do not cause the end of the life of the transmission...
and less than 40 of the initial 5.7L batch of 3ur-fse's had defective camshafts, to which within two weeks of discovery toyota had pinpointed AND extended an no questions asked, un-expiring engine replacement policy for any camshaft failure on the affected batch of engines.
THAT IS ****ING SERVICE!

what about the missing childseat latches? oh my god they don't have any in the front passanger's seat!!!! which the federal goverment said they didn't need to have!!! because they also say CHILDREN SHOULD NOT SIT IN THE FRONT SEATS TO BEGIN WITH rotflmao!!!!
The diferance in them and others being... everyone knows when toyota blunders, they fix it. they don't hide 15 years of crown vic's exploding into fireballs, or 8 years+ of cruise control relays burning their trucks down.
no... when a very small number of 3 year old lease camry/highlanders were coming in off leases & siezing with NO oil changes, they instituded an extended sludge warranty specifiying if you could prove you've changed the oil within the last 10 monts of 10,000 miles you get a free engine no questions asked... almost noone took it... the engines were failing from simply running years without ever having the oil changed.
what about the old notorious 3vz-e 4runner t100/tacoma 3.0L v6's roasting head gaskets? their head gaskets were no more prone to blowing than anyones between the mid 80's to (in some OEM's cases) late 90's. the government banned high asbestos content in head gaskets so every OEM in america was FUBAR.
yet toyota gave a 6 year extended warranty on repairing any headgasket failure going back in some cases to 1987. it's 2007 and there are STILL afew random stragglers that get their first and second headgaskets swap by calling toyota corperate, and simply asking nicely.
that's a hell of alot better than ford has ever been. ever. period... jesus every second month they have a new "fix" for the camry transmissions some work for afew people. the point being atleast they try.
when everyone complained about the "throttle lag" that electronic throttle valves have induced into the almost all modern engines. they gave many of them multiple re-flashes as appeasement.
when lexus botched the introduction of the LS400 infront of the world. they fixed it immediately... SENDING mechanics to work on the cars that THEY were not able to drive to the dealerships on their owners own schedule. in two cases via helicopters.

it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out which is a better place to hang your reliability hat lol
it's 2007 and i'm STLL getting letters saying my cruise control module is unavalible. those dumb asses even once sent me a letter asking me why i had not had it fixed; after they sent the first THREE letters telling me they wouldn't have the part avalible for atleast another 9-6-3 months.
toyota fixes problems. domestics do not.

so to recap... toyota = a very history oriented company with a long track record of not only reliability, but un-equalling service policies extending up to the corperate levels.
they dropped from #1 to only #3 because a small percentage of camry's can bearly slip their 3rd gear when cold. and because 20 camshafts broke, were fixed them immediately, and any future breaks will be fixed.

yeah. let's bash toyota, they suck ***! lol bawahahaha

F150 forum or not, let's be real about it...

Last edited by Toysrme; 11-10-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Cool

Just have to remember thus far only 30 out of 144,480 sold through september tundra's of the current generation have had any type of mechanical failure.
that's a rate of 0.00008997785160575858%.
(20 camshafts, and 10 faulty torque converters, of which those were atleast driveable).

Not to shabby when they're fixing the broken ones via crate engine airmail for free, and giving loaner trucks while you wait.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing wrong with my truck.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports September 2007