Pre-1997 Models

1985 F150 Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 F150 Help Please

Hello everybody I am in need of some help. I have a 1985 F150, single cab, short bed, 4x4, automatic with the fuel injected 5.0 V8. I am going to start driving this truck as my daily driver but I would like to do a good tune up on it before I do. I don't know alot about this motor and I am having a hard time finding performace parts for it. My grandpa custom ordered this truck from Ford in 1985 and he recently gave it to me. I know the motor has been worked over a little (.30 over bore, bigger injectors, and a high volume oil pump). Also the gears have been changed to 4:10's and it has a Auburn posi in the rear (the tightest one he could get). I am not looking to build a race car I just want a good list or idea of "tune up" parts. The truck will be used as a daily driver and hunting rig on the weekends. I have some what of an idea as far as parts let me know if I should do something different or something I missed.
1) New plugs (any suggestions on brands)
2) New Plug wires (MSD) Possibly a MSD iginition to go with it?
3) All new fluids
4) New air filter (does anybody make cold air intakes for this motor)
5) New exhaust (it still has the factory) was thinking of cutting the cats out and running a 2.5" or 3" from the manifold back.
Thats all I can think of anything that you might do different or might add to the list please feel free to chime in. Also if anybody has suggestions on a good place to buy the parts I need let me know. Thanks for any help

Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have an 86 I've had since high school, doesn't run anymore just sits wating. I had a hard time finding any performance stuff for mine when I was messing with it. I replaced the engine with a 5.0 out of a 95 lincoln, it was a roller motor, long tube headers, true duals and had my exhaust guy make an intake for it, shift kit, and a 9"with a locker and 4.10s. After all that it was pretty quick. It would beat my buddys iroc in the 1/8 every time. Ill try and dig up some pictures.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember any places that you were able to find any performance or upgrade mods for these motors when you were looking? Like I said I am not wanting more power or to make it faster I just want some good tune up mods to get it running healthy. Right now it runs pretty good but you can tell it's not running at 100%. I figured a good tune up would help that out some.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Your EFI will be speed density and that really limits what you can do without getting a computer tune done. Using synthetic oil is good for a couple of horsepower. Don't forget to put synthetic in the rear end too. You can remove any kind of silencers from the intake tubing. A K&N air filter will free up a pony or two. Bump the timing from 10° to 14°. You can send the lower intake to a guy named Tom Moss and he will port it and fix the dog legs on runner 1 and 5. That's good for 15 to 20 HP. If you don't use a lot of electricity ie: big stereo, you can put under drive pullies on it. Roller rockers are good for a few horses. An electric radiator fan will free up about 5 HP. If you do the electric fan, don't bother with the under drive pullies. Changing the rear gears to a higher numerical ratio will give it more torque.

That's all I can think of right off of the top of my head for cheap and easy without upsetting the computer.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What size tires for those gears?

Plain ole Motorcraft plugs and wires from Ford work the absolute best, forget the platinum garbage for these motors.

I'm not a fan of K&N for them letting in too much dirt and dusting the turbo on diesels, so I don't use them on gas engines either. Most "cold air" kits just suck in hot engine air, vs the outside air of the stock setup, and unless you bypass the coolant lines, your throttle body is heated anyway.

Forget the electric fan unless you are doing deep water crossings, nothing is more reliable than a mechanical fan with a working clutch, and it moves more air anyway.

Defeating the smog system isn't going to gain you horses worth anything, so unless the cats are plugged, just do a cat back system to get a sound you like.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GotSand?
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember any places that you were able to find any performance or upgrade mods for these motors when you were looking? Like I said I am not wanting more power or to make it faster I just want some good tune up mods to get it running healthy. Right now it runs pretty good but you can tell it's not running at 100%. I figured a good tune up would help that out some.
it was 15 years ago, but ive always used summit with great results. like adrianspeerder said quality parts, ford, will usually get you going just fine. remember you get what you pay for. wheres the pictures?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Forget the electric fan unless you are doing deep water crossings, nothing is more reliable than a mechanical fan with a working clutch, and it moves more air anyway.
Properly installed electric fans are every bit as reliable as a mechanical fan. Millions of cars and trucks have been sold with electric fans. I would think that if they were that big of a problem, they wouldn't be factory equipment on so many vehicles.

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
What size tires for those gears?

Plain ole Motorcraft plugs and wires from Ford work the absolute best, forget the platinum garbage for these motors.

I'm not a fan of K&N for them letting in too much dirt and dusting the turbo on diesels, so I don't use them on gas engines either. Most "cold air" kits just suck in hot engine air, vs the outside air of the stock setup, and unless you bypass the coolant lines, your throttle body is heated anyway.

Defeating the smog system isn't going to gain you horses worth anything, so unless the cats are plugged, just do a cat back system to get a sound you like.

Adrianspeeder
I will be running 31x1050 tires. The truck already has a K&N filter installed in the stock box. This truck has the most wierd intake set up I have ever seen. There are two seprate hoses coming out of the top of the air box (which sits towards the back of the motor by the fire wall) and they go into two separate ports on the intake manifold. It looks like two old school 2barrel carbs sitting on top of eachother. Is this the way they were set up form the factory or is this something different. I have never seen anything like this on any other truck. As far as the exhaust goes it still has the stock exhaust so I am sure that the cats are not flowing what they should thats why I was just planning on cutting them out. I am not trying to get sound or power by removing them just want to help the motor breathe as much as I can. By cutting them out is it going to throw any codes on the truck like it would on a newer truck or do they not have the sensors? What size exhaust would be best for this motor I was thinking 2.5" but the exhaust shop said to go 3" form where the manifolds tie in. I will get some pictures of the truck and post them up in the next few days. It actually is pretty clean for being 27 years old and having 500K miles on it LOL.

Last edited by GotSand?; 01-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
This truck has the most wierd intake set up I have ever seen. There are two seprate hoses coming out of the top of the air box (which sits towards the back of the motor by the fire wall) and they go into two separate ports on the intake manifold. It looks like two old school 2barrel carbs sitting on top of eachother. Is this the way they were set up form the factory or is this something different. I have never seen anything like this on any other truck.
It's a twin throttle body. All 5.0 truck engines have them.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Properly installed electric fans are every bit as reliable as a mechanical fan.
Key words are properly installed. Not just a 20amp relay and crimp connectors like most electrical work ends up being done.

I will be running 31x1050 tires.
With 4.10s I'd be runnin' 33s. Fits stock and no bumper spacing required like '87+

The truck already has a K&N filter installed in the stock box. This truck has the most wierd intake set up I have ever seen. There are two seprate hoses coming out of the top of the air box (which sits towards the back of the motor by the fire wall) and they go into two separate ports on the intake manifold. It looks like two old school 2barrel carbs sitting on top of eachother. Is this the way they were set up form the factory or is this something different. I have never seen anything like this on any other truck.
Yup, factory on the 302's until '94 when they switched to mass air.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info about the twin throttle body intake set up. Is it best just to leave the stock air box or is there anyway to set up some kind of cold air intake? As far as the tires I eventually will be running 33's but I had a Ford Ranger that I had just put the 31's on and it is no longer running so I figured I might as well use the new 31's rather then send them to the junk yard with the truck. They literally only have 800 miles on them and they are a nice AT tire. Any suggestions on the exhaust size 2.5" vs. 3" exhaust? Thanks to everybody for the help and suggestions.

Quick Reply: 1985 F150 Help Please