Pre-1997 Models

tailgate, bed liner?? newbie questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailgate, bed liner?? newbie questions!

ok so the truck i got today has a broken tail gat, its closed but the handle just rattles around, how would i go about getting it off if i cant open it?

and my second question is my truck has a bedliner and a toolbox, im tempted to take off the box and yank out the bedliner but im scared of what might be under neath it. any experience?? how bad can it be? would i be better off leaving it on lol?

P.S. yall will be hearing alot from me in the months to come just a heads up lol im friggin excited to start workin on my new truck!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Can I ask why you wanna take the liner out? I think youd be a lot happier if you left it in

Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
the liner is kind of warped and looks crappy, i was gonna take it out and possibly get a spray in liner

Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
well in my humble opinion I would yank it out (if that is what you really want) and check out the damage. Sure it might be rusted a bit or something like that, but if it is, buff it off and spray in a liner! Or, you can run to wal-mart (probably available elsewhere as well) and buy a can or two of the roll on bed liner. Works pretty well and it's much cheaper.
As far as your tailgate problem. I've never worked with the tail gate release to really offer advice.
what are the specs on your new truck?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
its a 95 reg cab long bed two gas tanks 2x4 with the 5.0

Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
My opinion as to the liner/bed issue is to take the toolbox and liner out and see what shape the bed is in. I always like to know even if I will not like it. If you are going to be using the truck for heavy work I would strongly consider saving your money and getting a Line-X spray liner.

As to the tailgate issue, there is usually a plate on the inside of the tailgate that you can remove with tools to get to the handle mechanism. You could probably take this plate off with the tailgate closed by sitting in the bed and fix/clean up any problems you find with the handle and they have the ability to open the tailgate. I know it will be awkward fixing it vertically like that, but if it is the only way to fix the tailgate it may be worth it.

Good luck... and by the way, what year did you go with... got any pictures of the truck? Congrats on the purchase!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pull the bedliner - you won't make anything worse, and you can always throw it back in.

Repair the t/g handle mechanism - it's not complicated, and there are plenty in the junkyards to snag parts from. Just don't take parts from a good t/g - find the ones that are rusted/bent.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 PM
i got 1995 i wont have pics until monday or tuesday though because its an hour and a half away and i couldnt get anyone to go with me down there until then so i went looked at it and buoght it and they said i could get it next week

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
The tailgate is an easy fix. The original on mine was stolen years ago and the junkyard unit I bought had the same problem. For mine all that happened was the clips attached to the handle slipped out of place. Just take out the screws that hold the panel on and take a look.

For the bed liner, lose the plastic one, it just traps moisture and junk underneath. Get a line-x job, those roll on ones are garbage. Followed all the instructions to the letter when I did that to mine and within 6 months it was scratched through.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Let me tell you from experience, plastic liner is much better than spray on, and as far as fixing your own tailgate, its a lot of work and trouble, just go to a local junk yard and buy one

Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
well i got it and had to take the bedliner off the tailgate (PAIN IN THE BUTT the screws were frigin rusted on) and opened the gate and the peices are all rusted and some are broken so i just went ahead and ordered a whole new mechanism and handle. i also looked down the side of the bedliner and so far its lookin good!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by cheeksea217
Let me tell you from experience, plastic liner is much better than spray on
What makes you say this? I can not think of any reason a plastic liner would be better. I know it is your opinion, but I am just trying to understand your perspective.

~D

Quick Reply: tailgate, bed liner?? newbie questions!