Pre-1997 Models

4r70w transmission will snap your neck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r70w transmission will snap your neck!

Hello all.

I have a 1994 F-150 2WD, 302ci/4r70w OD transmission, 188k miles. When I purchased this truck I knew of several issues, however, this apparently was not one of them. It seems when shifting after starting off under hard acceleration this truck shifts very hard into the next gear. If I ease off the accelerator just at shift point it shifts pretty smoothly. The next concern I have is what might be an overdrive issue?!?

When cruising about and the truck shifts into overdrive it randomly and apparently just seems to "sort of" disengage like it's slipping. It then will snap into gear or shift into a lower gear (like full acceleration passing) and just about snap your neck!! I have changed the filter and drained the torque converter (what a nice feature) and it still does this. The caveat is this:

When I am towing my motorcycles (light load 5x10 trailer and 4 dirt bikes) and disengage the OD on the column and drive, I cannot remember the transmission ever having the later two symptoms. It runs very well. It has been suggested since this apparently happens only when OD is selected it might be a solenoid. If so, any idea which one, and are these seviceable without tanny removal? No check engine lights so far. I have not disconnected the battery to reset everything and I have not checked for codes (although I just purchased an OBD-1 code reader). Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Other than this one issue, the truck is amazing. Thanks very much!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I am very interested in any insight too, my 95 F250 E4OD 460 does the same thing, if I "poke along" I am fine, but if I "get on it" I have to let up to get it to shift (harsh too).

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
how did the fluid look? did you open up the filter? do you still have the filter to open it up?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
how did the fluid look? did you open up the filter? do you still have the filter to open it up?
I had mine at a shop and they looked at the fluid and thought it looked good, but I just bought this truck so there may be a surprise waiting for me in there.

I am going to talk to a tranny shop and get some opinions.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
Hi. Thanks, and yes I did. I replaced the filter, gasket and supplied around 13-14 quarts of fluid (including converter). It shifts ok quite a bit, it just seems to be a random occasional thing that is extremely annoying. I still havent hooked up the OBD-I reader to see if a code was set. No check engine light as of yet. Will post any findings (short of a rebuild).

Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 AM
these guys want a softer shift and i want a hard shift, too bad we cant trade.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you wont get a check engine light if the trans has a problem. the od off light should flash for a trans problem

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the tip BTW. I have not noticed the OD light off light flashing when this occurs. Does it continue to flash as long as the vehicle is running? or is it a momentary thing? Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
probably will flash as long as there is an active problem with the trans, but i imagine it wouldn't flash the whole time you drive it

Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the hard shifts:

Have you checked the accumulator springs? I suspect they have either been changed out (shift kit or separator plate kit before you bought the truck) or they are broken from age.

I have not had any issues with my OD so far (knock on wood) so I am not to sure about why it slips out of gear but it may be time for a rebuild as the overdrive is usually the first to go (at least that has been my experience).

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by grizzstang
For the hard shifts:

Have you checked the accumulator springs? I suspect they have either been changed out (shift kit or separator plate kit before you bought the truck) or they are broken from age.

I have not had any issues with my OD so far (knock on wood) so I am not to sure about why it slips out of gear but it may be time for a rebuild as the overdrive is usually the first to go (at least that has been my experience).

No I have not. I am also not ashamed to mention I have no idea what a accumulator spring is or where it's located or what it would look like if it smacked me in the snoot! :-)

I will look it up and see if I can educate myself.

The problems listed are in the order of magnitude that they occur:

1. Truck hard shifts from low to second. Under hard acceleration. This can be duplicated every time.

2. The random slippage after shifting into overdrive. Once or twice a week (250 miles a week).

3. I am unsure if this explanation is correct, however, here it goes.
The truck rev's like it goes into passing gear (like full acceleration passing with old vacuum advance etc). This can occur when the vehicle is doing 65 on the interstate. If I ease off, it simply continues on as normal and runs great. It may happen again or may not.

4. These symptoms all go away when the overdrive is dis-engaged on the column. I have driven 200 miles this way towing with no events when it's disengaged.

Thanks for all of the feedback, keep them coming please!

Last edited by 94ford2wd; 06-10-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
but are you driving the vehicle just as hard when towing and not

I dunno mine shifts hard to when im on the gas...so my fix is not to get hard on the gas..it is an old truck after all.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
hey i dunno if this helps you but read this TSB http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/81709 its about the manual lever position sensor and oneof the symptoms is hard shifting. also i have a thread up titled "code 628", its a couple below yours, you might beable to get some more info off that

good luck!
-Aaron

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM
One possible cause is that the separator plate is flexing, there is a repair kit or you can replace the plate. Don't wait you could burn up your transmission. I know I have a 2006 f-150 that failed and the dipsticks at monster transmission rebuilt three times and never repaired or replaced the separator plate. Found out when I had rebuilt the forth time in six months that this was the problem. Do Not Send your transmission to Monster Transmission for rebuilding, they will screw it up and will not fix it.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It's been over 2 years and the original poster has never been back............

Welcome to the forums, but you need to read post dates before you reply to a thread.

Quick Reply: 4r70w transmission will snap your neck!