Pre-1997 Models

Air Box Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Air Box Modifications?

Guys,

Have you ever done any modifications to the OEM airbox? I thought about getting the FIP kit, but for $120, I think I could save a little money, and build one myself, or do some cutting on the oem.

Old 02-22-2000, 08:17 PM
Hey Pastmaster. I know I got alittle confused reading all the post and archives on airbox mod's, thinking I also had the "fender air" coming in, but soon found out that the older trucks, like mine, just have the fresh air intake which plugs into the bottom of the air box with the fresh air opening mounted to the top of the grill, to get it's air. Some fresh air!! The opening sits right behind the inside bulge of the hood. I did do a trim job on where it plugged into the air box. I had an excess of a good 2" sticking into the box and had a warped opening from the intake to the box. I trimmed off about the full 2" which got rid of the warped section. Increased the intake tube opening from 1" to 2" by doing this, so it's gotta help some. I think I'm going to try some type of Ram air, kinda like the old muscle cars had, to get some good cold, volume of air to the motor..

------------------
1993 F-150 4x4 5.0L EFI 5spd. Silver Shortbed..Kelly Safari AWR tires,K&N Air filter,Cat-Back Exhaust. Soon to get: Improved Ignition, Airbox Mod's.

Old 02-22-2000, 11:43 PM
I know exactly what your talking about. I thought about removing the complete baffle, but cold air is better than hot air, soooo.

Did you notice any difference after it?

Old 02-23-2000, 08:53 AM
Did notice a slight increase in throttle response, but I had just stuck in my K&N filter at the same time too. Everybody's got some good idea's on this, either with a box mod. or opening up the intake hoses for more air. Seems to me that a couple of shorty hoses routed back up to the lower half of front end, next to or under the radiator, to push in some direct cold air would soooop these baby's up. Would have to rig up something for a filter system too. We've got some performance shops here in K.C. and after some basic measurements of my engine bay, I'm going to try to match something up to give me some idea's to build.

------------------
1993 F-150 4x4 5.0L EFI 5spd. Silver Shortbed..Kelly Safari AWR tires,K&N Air filter,Cat-Back Exhaust. Soon to get: Improved Ignition, Airbox Mod's.

[This message has been edited by JOHNNY MC (edited 02-23-2000).]

Old 02-23-2000, 04:17 PM
Just trying to keep this post near the top. I would love to hear some ideas. I am always game for free hp tips. I may be stuck for any cold air at all here in texas.
later guys
jb

------------------
Built Ford Tough
Check out my truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/fattron/jb.html
" TARGET=_blank>www.geocities.com/fattron/jb.html
</A>

Old 02-23-2000, 04:29 PM
I have thought about cutting the airbox at the top like in half, anythougts.

Old 03-01-2000, 01:59 PM
JordanB..Some of my thoughts on these mod's are: whether or not to run separate air hoses to each throttle bore opening or to run one large hose. You'd have to design or maybe even do some testing on where to run a air filter system. Would you want the air filter right in front of the throttle opening's or maybe down line somewhere..maybe at the front of hose where it initially gets it's air... maybe 1/2 way?? I have found some aftermarket Ram kits for Mustangs, and it looked like the air filter was in some type of housing that fit on and over the throttle bores, with one big hose snakeing off towards the right front grill area. Heck, you might even go with a newer truck set up in using the fender to bring in cooler air. That is probably my biggest complaint about my current system. It is trying to suck in cool air, but sits right behind the inside bulge of the hood. But any mod. to the box or to the hoses to help bring in cooler air has got to help it's performance. Sorry, no solid game plan as of yet...........

------------------
1993 F-150 4x4 5.0L EFI 5spd. Silver Shortbed..Kelly Safari AWR tires,K&N Air filter,Cat-Back Exhaust. Soon to get: Improved Ignition

Old 03-01-2000, 04:28 PM
Guys, I may get a intake system off of a 94 and newer pickup, and cut the MA sensor and put a 3" cone on it. I would think you can get the hose really cheap. You might even be able to make one.

Old 03-02-2000, 12:27 AM
come on guys any thoughts? I messed around a little with a ram air for mine last weekend, but i would love a mod that would give me power before about 60 mph.
JB

------------------
Built Ford Tough
Check out my truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/fattron/jb.html
" TARGET=_blank>www.geocities.com/fattron/jb.html
</A>

Old 03-05-2000, 12:08 AM
KED
I have done a mod to my 1994 5.0 which I used the snorkel intake type and a intake off of a v6 ( witch is the same as the ones used on 460's)I combined them making a dual intake system. I joined them at the elbow befor the intakes enter the filtter box. I know that the skorkel is blocked by part of the underhood bracing but the more air the more hp. The v6 intake draws air form the DS of the radiater. I also added a "ram Air" part to this to draw air from the grill area on the lower DS of the grill. This part is the second part of the snorkel. It is rectangular them forms in to a round hose. I inseted the rectangular part in to the openin to the DS of the radiater and cut the round hose at a angle to make it fit behind the grill when it is reinstaled. This will take some force to get it in. The intake frome the v6 has a half round opening on the end I cut this off to square it up. This end needs to be forced on to the first peice I instaled from the front of the truck and inserted in to it from the backside then the other end of the v6 intake will go in to the filtter box. I was running on the v6 intake for the past 5 months It did make a dif. Then I thought to combine it with the skorkel stock one. (I got the original v6 form the dealer for $11.13. and used the original snorkel to make the rame air part.) Then I when to the junk yard and found both the snorkel style and the v6 style for $15. I kept the original v6 as a back up if this combined intake dosen't satify me.

[This message has been edited by KED (edited 03-04-2000).]

Old 06-01-2000, 09:18 AM
I found this on a mustang site. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/coldairDL.htm
Check it out and see if it might work for our mass air.

------------------
Nate
95 XLT 5.0/4r70w/3.31
SC SB 30X9.5's
Perfomance Cover Tonneau
Ventshades and Bugflector
Chrome Bedrails
nate95@f150guy.com

Old 06-01-2000, 06:59 PM
Cool

I applied liberal used of a drill to the bottom, sides, and fender side of my box. I also trimmed off the excess from the "cold air" supply. Improved the flow considerably. Maybe not as good as an aftermarket system, but about $120 cheaper. The upper part of the box doesn't appear to offer much flow restriction. Makes a great "cop style" intake sound at anything above 1/2 throttle!

Old 06-01-2000, 09:15 PM
Cool

Me, myself, I just went out and bought the FIPK from K&N ($175 CDN) and installed it. I know, I could have saved the money and bought just the K&N filter but for another $100 I got the kit. Man, does it even sound sweet when at WOT and has great throttle response now. I will have to wait till next spring before I change the exhaust over. Can't changed too much too quick, keep the wife happy.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, Automatic, Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 06-02-2000, 12:30 AM
Thumbs up

I to have cut the 2" excess off inside my air box, but I took it one step futher I cut several large opening's around the sides of the lower or intake side of my air box. In my mind this allows more air from the fender etc. to enter in the air box previous to the filter. I also know this does not help in the "ram air", but it does provide more air.

------------------
91 F150
TRUE DUALS

Old 06-04-2000, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I tried to come up with something too. But with the setup, it's not a lot you can do. I just bit the bullet and got the FIPK. No regrets. Great throttle response, power, and sound improvement.

-Hank

------------------
"RED ROCKET"
1996 F-150 XLT, 302, 5sp., 3.73 Precision Gears, Traction-Lok, K&N FIPK, Jet Module, Flowmaster 40 series, "Duals", Toreador Red, Tow Pkg, Optional Payload Pkg, Raven Cap, Bumper Guards, Hood Ornament, Lariat Emblems, Unity Fog Lights, Jet Chip, Wilson 5000, B&M Shift ****, Hidden Hitch w/ Ford Motorsports Aluminum Cover

Quick Reply: Air Box Modifications?