Pre-1997 Models

'94 F150 302 lacking power, engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down '94 F150 302 lacking power, engine swap?

Hey guys.. I've been reading and searching the threads here but finally decided to register and make a post.

I've recently bought a '94 F150 XLT 4x4 Ext Cab.. got a great price on it and I bought it primarily to tow my camping trailer and for various yard work (fire wood, etc) It is not my daily driver. She's a high milage vehicle w/ 300,000+ kms but its clean and rust free. 302 V8 with an automatic tranny. I practically stole it for purchase price so I couldn't pass up buying it.

So I loaded up the family of 4, bed of the truck, attached the trailer, and attacked some of BC's Rocky Mountains to head off for holidays. Now I know the truck was a little low on power (especially comparing it to the Chevy Z71 I previously owned which was a reg cab with fiberglass stepside box and a beefy 350), but this was ridiculous. 50/60 kms/h max on some steep inclines while pushing the truck to the limit, I was getting passed on the highway by smaller import SUV's towing larger trailers then my own. Not to mention the horrible gas milage.. I never calculated it, but I'd guess somewhere around 8MPG.

Mechanically the truck seems to be in good shape.. yes it needs some maintainence as most high milage vehicles do.. (brakes, ball joints, etc) but is this normal for a 302 V8? I realize it is a large truck and I had 4 people (two which are kids 5 and under), couple hundred pounds (tops) in the bed, and towing a 800KG tent trailer. Honestly I bought this truck because my 4 cylinder 4Runner was a little light and underpowered for towing this trailer, but the big Ford is worse. (slower and less power under load) My 4Runner can run circles around this thing.

So is there something mechanically wrong? Truck is stock, no performance or exhaust mods.. dealer maintained. Mabey the old mill is just too tired to perform anymore? It doesn't smoke at all, no hesitation, seems to run like a top. No check engine light, no codes. Had a tune up about six months ago before I bought it; plugs, wires, air filter, etc.

If there is nothing wrong that way, the only option I see is swapping out the motor. This leaves me with two options;

-- Should I hit the junk yard and pick up a 351 from a similar year truck and drop it in. Will this give me the grunt that I am after? Replacing the 302 with a 351 should be a straight swap, correct? No computer mods, etc?

-- or I have a 302HO engine (complete from oil pan to HO intake, heads, etc) from a 1989 Mustang GT that I can bolt in. I'd prefer this option because I already have this motor and its paid for.. Will this drop straight in? Any mods required, computer, etc?

Any help/input would be appreciated. Honestly I'm a chevy guy and this is the first Ford I've ever owned so I'm kinda breaking new ground. I am by no means a mechanic but I am capable or doing my own work for most things.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Brisk; 08-04-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Im in a similar situation. '94 F-150 with the 5.0 But I have the 5-speed manual.

Just as the truck turned 100k miles (3 weeks ago) A piston started to slap.

So im looking into motor swaps (diesel pref.), or a built 302.
I think what Ill wind up doing, to avoid any crazy EEC changes or swap problems, is buy a built short block, put some good heads on it, a HO intake, a set of headers, and call it good.

BTW, your truck being slow when loaded is completely normal. Hell, I think these 302s are only rated at 185 ft lbs of torque :o

Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
damn ok so being slow is something that is expected then.

has anyone on this board done a HO swap over?? I've done some reading and found some conflicting answers, like the firing order is different?

anyway, do you think I'd get the power I need with a HO or should I just jump to a 5.8L?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how much you want to spend on this truck, but there are plenty of mods you can do to the 302, and get lots more out of it. Mine too felt hopelessly slow when I bought it, but after a couple of boxes of parts, and a gear ratio change, I got it to a point where it is actually fun to drive. I won't be seen on any drag strips with it, but that's what chevys are for, aint it?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM
What gears do you have? Chances are they are 3.08s, hopefully 3.55s. If they are the 3.08s, then they're killing you. I'd look into an exhaust and some type of intake kit. Also, do a search on here for Seafoam.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I believe the gears are 3.55's.. although I'll have to crawl under to double check. The cat is probably clogged and its choking itself.. I know exhaust makes a huge difference in any vehicle.

so I've been doing some googling and it looks like the 302 in my truck and 302HO's have a different firing order.. so this will require a ecm replacement/swap or a cam change. Can anyone verify this? Apparently if a ho engine is used the truck oil pan must be bolted on and possibly the trucks oil pickup because of cross member location.. this is no big deal. Otherwise everything else is simply bolt in and plug in.

I also found a good low milage 351 engine complete at an autowrecker for $600cdn which is a pretty good deal IMO. does anyone know if this too would require an ecm swap, or chip swap? Thanks.

Last edited by Brisk; 08-03-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Try messing with the motor that you have now. If that doesn't work, all or most of the mods will work on the 351. And if you're going to be towing, don't even look at a 302HO swap, it'll be all upper end power.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I'll just add something that you probably have already thought of, but I'll say it anyway. Try changing the fuel filter. I was having the same problem with my 351: no power when pulling the boat, I could barely go highway speed. After a new fuel filter it pulls like a 351 should: lots of power. I can't even tell the boat is on there now. When I dumped the gas out of the old filter, I couldn't believe the crap that was in there. The gas coming out was reddish-brown, like it had been full of rust. Best $10.99 I ever spent.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a truck similar to yours but with a 351 w. Gears are first and foremost, 4.10s are what I would recomend, but 3.73s would be a minimum. I wouldnt mess with the exhaust because backpressure equals torque. From there I would install flex a lite electric fans it will make you get better mpg (close to 2 on my truck) and more power on the ground. These older trucks have to turn a ten pound metal fan that does a poor job of cooling. Next I would contact troyer and install a tuner with 5 different programs (one being stock). So I would get an 87 mileage, 87 tow, 91 or 93 performance, and 91 or 93 tow.

That should complete your rebuild of the truck, oh yeah and last night I found a ram air for 302 f150s.

Quick Reply: '94 F150 302 lacking power, engine swap?