Pre-1997 Models

Electrical Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Problem????

This is my first post and I've got a question for you all. I am currently driving a '93 V8 5.0L F150. About 2 months back, all of my dash lights went out. I've checked every fuse in the truck and they are all fine. I've also had dash apart and changed every one of the bulbs. Is there something simple that i'm missing? I can't get these things to go on at all. Any help that you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

93candycane

Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 PM
do your parking lights work? it could be your switch

Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
You need to check and see if your missing the power or the ground to the lights then trace the circuit back from there. Could be a broken wire or bad contacts in the switch. You can jump the wires in the switch connector and see if the lights will come on.

You might want to find a wiring diagram so you know what wires to follow.

-Jon

Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys. If I can avoid changing the switch I want to. Does anyone know where I might find a wiring diagram? My owners manual was stolen when this truck was stolen about 5 years back. Would anyone have any idea how much the headlight switch might cost me for the 93 F150? I'm in Ontario, Canada, where would I even go to find this switch? Any help you guys could provide would be great.

93candycane

Old 12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
You can get a Haynes repair manual for your truck at any auto parts store. They have a wiring diagram in the back, but it' s not the greatest. You might also be able to find a factory repair manual and wiring diagram online. I got one on CDRom for my truck for $15 US on Ebay.

Any parts store or Ford dealer should be able to get the switch for you.

-Jon

Old 12-11-2003, 01:16 AM
Most likely culprit is the switch, Ford has been notorious for them going bad for years.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:10 AM
ok so i've torn it all apart again and replaced the switch and wiring harness for the switch and that still hasn't fixed it. How involved is taking off the instruments themselves to see some of the wiring in behind? what about this transmission indicator cable? Anyone who has done this and may have some words of wisdom before i tackle it would be great.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:40 AM
Actually the dash is relativley easy to R&R, I've had mine out twice and everything pretty much lines up right where it should go. The hardest part was the fuel tank switch, the wiring to the plug is rather short, makes it really difficult to get the plug off. But once you get past this it is really easy. If you don't have dual tanks it won't be a problem. Whole thing shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.

Old 12-28-2003, 06:24 AM
Does your ashtray light work? The wiring is pretty simple. This should help:

Take care,
~Chris

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem????