Not Even a Peep about Greenhouse Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not Even a Peep about Greenhouse Gas?

Everyone ready for 'significantly' higher electric bills?

With our energy portfolio between 40% and 50% coal, hang on.... these new 'carbon rules' are going to be very costly....and, hopefully, technology catches up because, at this moment, there's not a lot of tech out there to accomplish what the POTUS/EPA wishes to accomplish.

That yields more plant closures... which diminishes supply... which pumps prices.

That's what the media isn't telling anyone... this will hit everyone's pocket (just like other air regulations -- and forthcoming waste and water regulations on the 'combustion generation' industry).

Hang on, folks.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Granted, it appears each state will have "customized" laws to lessen the impact on the economy and the cost of living. It's going to be an absolute mess - especially for states such as Kentucky (where I also live), West Virginia, Pennsylvania and other states where coal is king. So many jobs will disappear due to the power companies (such as KU) that will struggle to advance technology in time to meet the regulations. I understand the need for "clean coal" down the road, just not sure it's responsible when it's just not feasible. Several friends of mine work at coal power plants and are really concerned about these changes.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Nuclear is the best source of power currently ..... hands down

Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Llama_Lariat07
Granted, it appears each state will have "customized" laws to lessen the impact on the economy and the cost of living. It's going to be an absolute mess - especially for states such as Kentucky (where I also live), West Virginia, Pennsylvania and other states where coal is king. So many jobs will disappear due to the power companies (such as KU) that will struggle to advance technology in time to meet the regulations. I understand the need for "clean coal" down the road, just not sure it's responsible when it's just not feasible. Several friends of mine work at coal power plants and are really concerned about these changes.

Very well put,

The technology just isn't there to back fill what will go away... probably won't be for lots of years to come. I concur that 'clean coal' is kind of a farce but, it's come a LONG way since the 80's and inception of the Clean Air Act.

To me, as a rate payer too, it seems very premature to make me foot the bill to drive this technology.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
Nuclear is the best source of power currently ..... hands down
The problem is the waste. They literally have pools of this stuff. You have to think of future generations

Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Here's my honest opinion. I LOVE driving, I love vehicles all of it. BUT if they made public transportation and I mean really invested in it. People could own vehicles but leave them at home during the work day. To me, that solves so many issues and cuts emissions. Less traffic and all. Sure there might be issues, but you have to be willing to invest in the infrastructure. High speed trains like in Japan, natural gas buses etc. I bet you, if they had stable transportation that was RELIABLE I bet most people would go that route. I'd do that in a heart beat and keep my truck for errands and weekends.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM
They will find out a way eventually how to get rid of it. But bang for the buck it really is the best.

There is zero air emissions and typically only a slight heat pollution in the water around the plant. I have one basically right in my backyard and my father worked there for 23 years.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Pockets
They will find out a way eventually how to get rid of it. But bang for the buck it really is the best.

There is zero air emissions and typically only a slight heat pollution in the water around the plant. I have one basically right in my backyard and my father worked there for 23 years.
Zero? Meh... particulate from the water is emitted. Plus, one should account for mining and transport of the uranium.

That said though, there's not much....

316b (another new reg set to hit this industry) will regulate thermal discharge to water... so, again, you're still looking at an increase on the bill at some point to pay for the promulgation of that regulation.

Living how we want to live isn't cheap... nor simplistic.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already experiencing this in Ontario Canada.

Coal furnaces all shut down in favour of wind and solar.

Our rates are getting so bad, it's now costing jobs as factories close to move to Mexico.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It infuriates me to see more / tougher regulations (and higher costs / lost jobs) for us when China pollutes the earth's atmosphere far more than we do. In fact they are doing almost nothing to stop their pollution rate from skyrocketing even further.

And I'm sure Brad can tell you that their power is generated almost 100% from high sulfur coal.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Great point and I believe I have read that insane smog is working it's way into the Jet Stream?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
316b (another new reg set to hit this industry) will regulate thermal discharge to water... so, again, you're still looking at an increase on the bill at some point to pay for the promulgation of that regulation.
Bastards haha

Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The problem is the waste. They literally have pools of this stuff. You have to think of future generations
No it's not. John, want to know how much waste there has been made in this entire country from the beginning to now? A football field's footprint stacked 4 feet high - that's it. And all of that "waste" still contains 85-90+% of its energy content. We'll have a way to use it up in the coming years.

Nuclear is by far and away the most efficient, and most Eco friendly, form of energy production. Liberals hate it, and the only reason the entire country isn't running on (or set to on it in within 20 years) nuclear right now is because of media and political manipulations. It's a shame really.

North America and Europe can do all they want, but what we do doesn't mean a damn thing until China and India, and Africa in the coming decades, are put in check. It's exactly like the costs to restore a car; the first $20k gets you a great driver-condition car, but to get a "perfect" car you're spending $200k, even though they look the same from 10 feet away. Spend a good chunk of money on emissions reductions and see a huge difference, but to do the next steps, you're choking yourself for the smallest of reductions.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 06-09-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Anyone see that "solar roads" video running around on social media? Very interesting concept, im sure its extremely pricey tho.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 AM
so i have had this conversation with a lot of people (green house gas, global warming....)

my take, most who are really pushing it, stand to benefit finacially, this gives it less credibilty and open for debate. Is this all for a better world is it just a way for certain people to profit. To me it is money driven.

no matter what the US does, China and India want their A/C and gas powered cars. we will be a drop in the bucket once they get going.

unfortunately this is the US way, the shot caller at the top can not leave anything alone., it is about squeezing that pennies out of anything. this will open up a new revenue stream for the consultants.

the old no problem, create one then have the solution, get paid to identify the problem you helped create, then get paid for the solution, dosent matter if they are right or wrong as it is all speculation.

Quick Reply: Not Even a Peep about Greenhouse Gas?