The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Tow Straps

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting the pin in single shear, like dropping it through the reciever hitch, with a very concentrated load point will cause the bolt/pin to eventually bend and fail.

There are 2 ways to correct this. Either put the pin into double shear, or widen the load point. The reciever with integrated D-ring from tractor supply will do both. It spreads out the load over the width of the pin and will force it into a double shear near the eyelets of the D-ring where it is strongest. It is a good recovery option, as long as both the reciever and the reciever hitch is rated for the pulling. There are alot of those reciever hitches with D-rings out there that are made from cheap quality chinese steel. Typically the more expensive the higher the quality of steel, but not always. Just make sure you check that the load rating is equal to or higher than the strap, so that the strap is your weakest link. If the strap is rated higher and the reciever fails then whats left of the reciever will become a missle attached to the end of the strap.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Well I ended up going to The Tractor Supply today and nabbing that reciever with integrated D-Ring assy. and I found where the D-ring shackles were hiding. The same ones I linked in an earlier post. So I think I have a decent start on SOME recovery gear for when I and others get stuck. I'll get pics up asap since this is the internet....

Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Well here they are. I finally got off my **** and took some pics while I was working on the Stang.

And the reciever in place

Old 07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I never gave those d-ring shackles a thought. Perfect for the closed front tow mounts on my truck. Great idea.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
some good info here!

Quick Reply: Tow Straps