Tru Trac for street use??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tru Trac for street use??

I have been looking at aftermarket LSDs to help with the Iowa snow and summer mud. The Tru Trac looks like the best option to me.

I'm 19 and love my truck to death, but lets face it I like to have fun/show off every once in awhile.

My question is: If I do a few brake stands the occasional doughnut, stuff like that on the street. Will it hold up to this type of abuse?? Or will I shell this thing out?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Golden-lariat you might want to read the thread just below on the Detroit Locker. There are several references to the TrueTrac diff. I run one and I think you will probably tear up much of the rest of the drivetrain before you blow the TrueTrac. Just don't abuse it, then all bets are off.

HYPO

Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by golden-lariat
I have been looking at aftermarket LSDs to help with the Iowa snow and summer mud. The Tru Trac looks like the best option to me.

I'm 19 and love my truck to death, but lets face it I like to have fun/show off every once in awhile.

My question is: If I do a few brake stands the occasional doughnut, stuff like that on the street. Will it hold up to this type of abuse?? Or will I shell this thing out?
http://www.pickupspluscars.com/

This guy has one on his supercharged 2005 F150 and on his 2011 5.0 Mustang.

The truck is sorta shop truck d/d that used to go to the dragstrip alot until he got the 5.0.

Have ridden with him in the Mustang and he doesn't baby it. Almost made into the 11's last fall with the 5.0. . .

He installed them after he shelled the stock LSD's.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
From another thread:

Originally Posted by FarmerFranck
If you do any kind of icy/snow driving, stay away from the detroit locker! With both wheels locked up on the highway, you have no side-to-side stability control.(Actually, the safest rear end for icy condition on the highway is an open dif. When one wheel spins, the "non-spinning" wheels acts as an anchor to keep your vehicle straight). So a limited slip is a good comprise between open diff and locker.

I've been running a detroit truetrac with my 2007 4.2 5spd 2wd for just over a year now, and it's absolutely great. Haven't heard any noise from it yet, and both wheels grab when I need it to. In fact, I was fooling around down a snow covered road last weekend when i put the rear of the truck in a ditch. I slowly let go of the clutch and the truck pulled out. My old open diff would had left me right there! I live in northern ontario, so you can imagine the snowy condition this truck sees.

If you do get the detroit truetrac, read up on gear oils that are compatible with it. I'm running Ford Motorcraft 75w140 syn without any friction modifier and it runs great. Some oils cause it to whine. (IMO, oils that have pre-mixed friction modifier don't play well with the DTT)
I've does a few brake stands with my summer 285/65/18 (32.6") bfg A/T and no problems so far. Have about 40k miles on it now. Yes, thats how many miles i do in a year. This truck doesn't stay parked often.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 AM
No problems here with 35K on mine...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM
How much do you guys pay for yours??
And did you install it or did you take it to a shop?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 AM
I had a true trac installed a few weeks back, the local shop I went thru sold and installed it for me. The cost was like 490 for or so for the diff. plus they charged two hours shop labor to install it, plus a few bucks for the oil, they were able to re-use my bearings as they had installed my 4.10s just a year or so prior and they were still good.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
I've had a TT on my F250 for about five years now and had one in the front diff of a previous rig many years back. Loved 'em both. I'd have put one in my F150 if it had been available (it has the 10.25 semi-float, boo-hoo!). I did help put one in a 9.75 when they first offered a TT. The owner loved it!

What I appreciate most about the TT is that it has a pretty high bias ratio (as long as both wheels are on the ground) but you can hardly feel it's there most times. That's especially appreciated on icy roads. Since it doesn't have any preload, it will differentiate in a turn much like an open diff without slipping a tire... as long as you don't power it too much. When it does start to bias, it's a very smooth transition... you can feel it and it comes in very linear. The SofLocker version of the Detroit will coast pretty nice around a turn but their transition to lockup is very sudden if you gas it and you have to be on the ball. A tight limited slip can be problem and you can have a slipping tire right from the getgo if the preload in the clutches exceeds the traction... but even if it's not, the moment you hit the gas, they get tighter some (cone clutches) are a little more linear than plat types but they tend to be a bit grabby too and activate fast.

Some road racer types don't like the TT because they are so linear. I don't claim to understand it all, but if I understand it right... they like a fast transition to make the car oversteer a bit more.

I can't remember if I've ever driven a pickup with a new, tight-as-it-gets, Ford Traction Lock in ice but I have driven some used ones around and the TT is almost as smooth IMO. The difference in bias ratio 1.9:1 (TL) vs 3.5:1 (TT) makes that pretty remarkable. A nice high bias ratio but great manners!

In pickups, with no load, IMO the danger area for most clutch LS starts around 2.5:1. They get really squirrelly above 3.0:1. You can offset that by adding weight. My own Auburn cone clutch unit is very smooth most of the time but in ice but with a 2.5:1 bias, it makes the rear of the truck start to skate a little in the back with no weight. I add 500# of tractor weights over the rear axle and that brings it right back by putting a little more weight on the tires. That's my advice for someone having trouble with a traction aids in winter. Even an open diff. Add weight!

Quick Reply: Tru Trac for street use??