Awful High pitched squeal upon starting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Awful High pitched squeal upon starting.

Hello ALL!

I have a 1997 (build date 1/96) F-150 4x4. 4.6 L V8.

After replacing the starter, I now have a high pitched squeal when initially cranking the engine. The engine starts and there are no further issues, but this sound is awfully loud and I have NEVER heard anything like it.

I am no mechanic, but I replaced this fairly easily with the help of my cousin who is in fact an ASE mechanic. It was a very smooth installation after a marginally more difficult removal (some rusty bolts). Can anyone tell me what this noise might be? I have only started the truck 3 times and it did it every time.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd have to suspect that the replacement starter is either faulty, or it's a high-rpm motor with a planetary reduction, to give more torque. I've changed a few starters that the new one makes a different noise than the old one did.

Tell us, did the old one look exactly like the new one (motor size, case, etc.), or was it a bit different looking ? Might help us figure if it's with the planetary setup or not.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM
The old one was only slightly different. Napa premium starter. I have paperwork that states it was tested and passed. This sound is incredibly loud. Low to then very high pitch when cranking. No matter the setup, nothing should make a noise like that. It sounds like a very loud bottle rocket almost.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fanbelt mabie?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
sounds like the belt. that's an easy fix and cheap so i'd start there.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The belt won't squeal when cranking - it will squeal when it fires off.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Nope, it's the starter motor. It only made that noise since it was replaced.

Try this. Take it back off, just unbolt it and pull it away a bit, and check if it looks like the drive gear / bendix has been rubbing against the face of the flywheel. If not, the starter motor is probably just noisier than the one you took out. I know exactly the noise you mean, I've heard it often on aftermarket starters. I change about 10-15 a year (auto mechanic), and most non-oem starters are way loud.

As another test, unbolt it, and just turn it over, with it out of the hole in the tranny, just to listen to it freewheel for a sec or 2, you'll get a better idea what the noise is from.

Denis.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Was there a shim inbetween the starter and mounting and forgot to put it in? Could cause starter to have contact with the flywheel after motor kicks and the starter is retracting. Double check that but more then likely it's a fulty strter tho. Napa is known for cr@p parts
good luck man

Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 AM
OK Gents, thanks for all the help.

Problem solved. Incredibly the starter had a different head on it than it was supposed to have. I returned the part and got an after market starter instead of the reman'd Ford one. The other starter I had purchased (Ford Reman'd) was very hard to install and didn't allow for any wiggle room getting it in. The second one I purchased slipped right in. No issues and it started right up. A very strange situation all the way around.

Thanks for the tips!!

Scottie

Quick Reply: Awful High pitched squeal upon starting.