Installing MAnual "4x2 L" switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Installing MAnual "4x2 L" switch

I'm going to install a switch to allow for 4x2 - Low operation. Can I simply interrupt the activation lead to the 4x4 CAD, or do I need to apply a ground to the 4x2 solenoid at the same time? (I've accomplished this by simply disconnecting the 4x4 solenoid in the past without issue.)

TIA

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 07-07-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Anybody have input on this?

I have a sketch from an old posting by another member, and that circuit calls for a 4-conductor wire, and sends the "engage" signal to the "disengage" solenoid when activated. Trouble is, I only ran a 2-conductor wire (not remembering this). I'd also like to wire in an LED indicator, and planned on using the DPDT switch/circuit for this, instead.

What I'm wondering is if the xfer case "locks" into position each way, or if it relies on the vacuum solenoid to keep it in position. If it stays put until getting a signal to move to "the other" position, then I'd be fine with my two-wire solution, so long as I flipped the switch while in 2WD mode.

Wondering if anyone can confirm. Thanks.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 07-07-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Can't type.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you need a super low gear in 2wd for? Towing something really heavy?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 AM

I have a 19' TT and live on a hill. Pulling/backing the trailer up the drive can be a pain, and 2WDL works well.

Andy

Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Just thought I'd update that I finally got around to doing this. I wired it up with a latching relay so pushing a momentary switch once locks out the front axle until I shut off the truck. The next time the truck is powered up, it's automatically in normal mode again. I installed a bright red LED indicator to show when the cut-out is active, but I like the added security of knowing that 4WD will be there when I expect/need it the next time without having to remember to flip the switch back.

I didn't realize how much I'd use it, but it's come in handy in several situations s already.

A couple pics:

Switch and LED

Nothing to see here (or is there?)

Relay box a-la Radio Shack

Overview

I wish I could give credit to the person who helped me out with a wiring sketch, but I can't find the post, and I now can't even find the file on my computer. (At least it's printed out and in the relay box if I need it.)

Andy

Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I like what you did. I used 2WDL often on my old '85 Ranger 4X4 (mainly because it was so gutless/high geared). It's sometimes quite useful to have a low gear on a paved surface. I was not aware this was a mod that was possible for our trucks. It's going on my list of things to do someday ...

Very clean installation, BTW

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks, Fairlainer.

BTW, I did end up using a DPDT relay to switch the "hold" signal to the 2WD solenoid when 4x4 is activated, but 2WD is desired. I wanted to be sure it couldn't "slip" back into 4WD.

Andy

Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have only a very basic understanding of how the 4WD system works on our trucks. I'll certainly be doing some research before I attempt the mod, but it's something I want to do.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't mind knowing a little more on the install. how-to?

Quick Reply: Installing MAnual "4x2 L" switch