problems with my truck and recalls/TSBs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with my truck and recalls/TSBs

Ok so here's the scoop...

I've had a bad tick since the day I bought it, both cam phasers have been replaced but it sounds like a rod knocking to me or at least in the bottom of the motor.

My driver's side door will not unlock sometimes when I hit the unlock button on the door panel or on the key fob. To unlock it you must use the key if you're outside or pull the door handle if you are in.

This past Saturday my 4 low quit working then finally kicked in one time and wouldn't come back out of 4 low. I put it in neutral and nailed the brake pedal like I was about to be in a wreck and it worked fine.

I have a MASSIVE vibration somewhere in the drivetrain at all speeds. I have bought new tires, not it. I got new wheels/tires, no change. I inspected the U-Joints and they seem to be fine. I put it in neutral to see if it went away and it didn't, this tells me it's not the engine. I switched in and out of overdrive and no change. I put in a pint of Lucas trans treatment, no change. I put in a can of Trans-X and notice a small improvement but it's still there. Also I've had the wheels/tires road force balanced yesterday to ensure it's not them and the vibration is still there.

There's many more problems but I do take into consideration that this truck is 5 yrs old and I've put over 98k on it so it's well worn but still reliable.

My question is what is the process to have these things checked/repaired? I see that there are several TSBs but are there any recalls? And also how is the work covered if I do take it in to a stealership? Do I pay any money if the manufacturer recognizes that these problems are issues with multiple models or multiple VINs? Am I just gonna have to pay for it outright whether it's TSB or recall or a random problem? I've always done my own work with my dad and never really had any dealings with stealerships other than warranty issues but my warranty is way out of sight. This truck used to run and ride like a brand new truck up until recently with the vibration and such. HELP ME!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, you can take your FORD truck to say Firestone where they will replace anything that may cause your trouble, or you can take it to the said "stealership" where the technicians are trained on FORD vehicles and have most likely seen your problems and know exactly how to fix it instead of replacing a lot of parts then telling you that you need a dealership to figure it out. Or just hope that your vague symptoms discussed here lead you somewhere. It hits a nerve with me whenever someone downplays dealers. I've been at one for over 13 years and all I will do is fix what your problem is, then tell you if you have other concerns, then let you decide what you want to do. Oh, by the way, it will cost at least one hour of diag for a concern.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry you have thin skin and I hit a nerve but if you've been around any auto forums much at all you would know for one that it's the sales people we refer to when we say stealership and two that you are a technician and you sir aren't included in that term. Do you get any commission for ripping people new a$$holes when they come to purchase a vehicle? No, you probably get paid per your bogey and maybe a little commission on parts if you're lucky. Your post was an absolute waste of my time and yours and I hope you sincerely understand that. Now if I'd have said that the service dept at the Ford dealer in Poquoson, VA isn't worth a crap then you may have had an argument. I've been around the block a time or two with the auto industry from manufacturing to service/diagnostics/repair to sales and I applaud the fact that you seem to be a well-trained Ford technician that could most likely fix problems with a Ford vehicle with the least wasted time and effort. But on the same token my post was aimed at honest, helpful, down-to-earth people that might know a little something about what I was describing and may have even experienced the same problems. As for the vague descriptions, I could go on and on describing the exact terminology, frequency, and probable cause of what my opinion is of what is happening to my truck but again I was looking for one of those helpful people that I described above. You don't seem to be that type or you'd have typed something informative and worthwhile instead of your own personal feelings on the term stealership and your history as a tech....

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
For one, I don't work in Poquoson. That's where I live. Two, I don't get a damn dime from parts, thank you. I don't have thin skin as you say, if someone talked s..t about what you do for a living, does it make you the least bit angry? BTW, search all of my postings. All I do is help people with problems in this forum. Why all of a sudden with almost 100k on the truck is it falling apart? I have an 84 Bronco that doesn't have that many problems, sir. As for me wasting your time, I don't make you read my remarks, that was your decision. Your door lock problem is most likely a lock actuator flaking out from time to time. Your "knocking" noise may be due to loud fuel injectors, or you don't install Ford oil filters on the engine. The 4x4 problem is probably a faulty shift motor on the xfer case. And finally, the vibration is in the driveshaft assy. Is it two piece? If so, have you checked the center support bearing? Are you sure the u joints are ok? Hope this helps so that this posting is not a "waste of your most valuable time".

Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bigbronc read my thread please and see if you have any ideas what it could be.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
bigbronc read my thread please and see if you have any ideas what it could be.
I think I responded to this the other day, but it is hard to say what it might be. Yes, there is a message about the slip yoke causing a clunk, but that is on acceleration, not decel. If I had your vin # I can run it on Ford and see any TSBs or service messages that pertain.

Robbie

Old 01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
do you mind doing that?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
do you mind doing that?
Not a problem, check your private messages.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Sent it thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Sent it thanks
Now check your email.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
i sent you another email! sorry for hijacking this thread r1rider31

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
No problem man, I've been known to hijack a few here and there so it's no big deal to me. And bigbronc thank you for answering a few of my questions. The driveshaft is a one-piece and yes the u-joints seem fine. As for the other problems, I don't know honestly. I've taken better care of it than what the owner's manual requires especially and always kept it in tip-top shape. The oil filter is a Wix and that's because I was working at a Carquest at the time I bought the truck and by coincidence that's what the dealer put back on it after my first oil change. They also put Pennzoil in it too. Since then I've done the changes myself and stuck with the Wix filters but switched to Motorcraft 5/20 blend like it's supposed to get. The injectors have a ticking sound at the top of the motor, you can clearly here them clicking open and closed very distictly. This "knocking" is towards the bottom of the motor right inside the oil pan and I was told by the service manager at the dealer that I purchased it that it was normal and that all of them did it. Didn't make sense to me but it has never given me any problems.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Have you properly maintained it and changed out all the fluids regularly?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Have you properly maintained it and changed out all the fluids and filters regularly?

Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes I've taken way better care of it than the manual recommends. My dad works at a Goodyear repair shop so it's pretty convenient to get it up on a rack and check/maintain things as needs.

Quick Reply: problems with my truck and recalls/TSBs