Ford Traction-lok or Eaton True Trac LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford Traction-lok or Eaton True Trac LS

I bought my new 2007 F150 Supercrew 4x4 and now realize that a regular axle is an open differential. I'm looking to get a LS differential installed.

I talked to the local dealer and they will install a Trac-Lok (he said its the same one that comes with the FX4) for $1074 plus tax. I looked at the Ford Motorsports website and noticed the 9.75" Eaton True-Trac as well. I am going to ask him to give me the price using the True-Trac instead of the Trac-lok.

Question is which should I get? I've also noticed that in my owners manual there is no service interval for the rear axle, unless an extreme condition is encountered. I know with the Trac-Lok that the clutch disc will wear out and with the True-Trac that it will not wear out.

I don't plan on doing any off roading with the truck but would like the capability to go out to the field and get firewood or whatnot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by sadlerb_98; 03-26-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Eaton makes the Trac-Lok, too. They always have. They bought out TracTech (Detroit) and some of GM's designs. The TrueTrac does wear, according to TracTech. Read this post & check out the links for more info about each type.

With a little practice, you don't need a LSD to make a firewood run, so that alone isn't a good reason (IMO) to cough up $1K. You'd get more for your money from a cheap winch & mount (possibly a hitch receiver in front & a winch tray on a draw bar).

Last edited by Steve83; 03-26-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Steve83,

Thanks for the info. You're probably correct about the firewood run and LSD. Truth is I just want the LSD. Never been without one before.

Bob

Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TruTrac all the way!! Hands down a much better and less-failure-prone design. The Trac-Loc is a piece of junk IMHO.

-Joe

Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM
sad,

I have the exact same truck and was shocked they they even make a 4x4 w/out a ls rear end. I had a shop put in a trutrac for $830.00 out the door. The dealer that I bought the truck from wanted $1,500.00 plus tax. The parts were cheep but they wanted 10 hours worth of labor. The other shop even though they said it would be 4 hours had it done in just over 2 which included a morning break. I still had to pay thier "book" rate.

My truck see's only lite off road work, mostly pulling atv or camping trailers into out of the way places. No problems so far. And you can't tell that the rear end was ever changed.

TT

Old 03-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys

I called Eaton about the TrueTrac and spoke to a rep for about an half hour. I found out that Eaton does not recommend the use of synthetic lube with their differentials. Also, the nearest authorized dealer is in New York State.

I'm going with the Ford Traction Lock for now @ $320.00 plus installation. When my warranty runs out I'll look into other options then.

I'm not taking this truck off road at all except for the occasional trip to the woods to get wood. I have a Jeep Rubicon for off road fun.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
The shop that put mine in say they hate the syntetic that Ford puts in, it comes out like water. They just put regular gear oil in mine. The truetrac is only $180.00 more than the trac lok. Not only that the dealership only warrantee the work for 12 months, like the tt. I just figured with might as well go with the better unit especially because the labor was soooo much less than the Ford labor. I saved $670.00 by going with the better part.

TT

Old 03-28-2007, 06:24 PM
I hear ya. I just don't have a local place to get it done. When the Ford one wears out I will install the truetrac. My step dad has a huge shop at his house and we can do it there. Only problem is that he lives in South Dakota and I'm in Maryland.

Bob

Quick Reply: Ford Traction-lok or Eaton True Trac LS