Drivers power mirror shake

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-1999, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Drivers power mirror shake

Anyone else having the 99 mirror shakes? Took it in to the dealer and they admitted they have had complaints. Replaced, it still shakes..it's back in their hands. Passenger side is rock solid. 99 XLT 4x4 SC

Old 07-07-1999, 10:16 AM
stihl, does the whole mount shake or just the mirror inside?

------------------
'99 F150 XLT,SC,4.6 auto, no mods...and I am happy with it that way.

[This message has been edited by riclaur (edited 07-07-1999).]

Old 07-07-1999, 02:41 PM
Lightbulb

try doing a search of mirror shakes.(or something like that) I too had this plus my mirror even broke. At the time I was in DC traveling on I295, the worst road in America. So I don't know if it was cold, shaking, pot holes or someone hit me??? Dealer replaced mirror and it hasn't shook since.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 07-08-1999, 01:27 PM
My drivers door mirror had the shakes as well. Only the glass shook - - the housing was solid. The mirror on the passenger door was fine. I took it back to the dealer thinking they could tighten it but instead they replaced it. No problems since.

------------------
98'XLT SC,4.6,3.55,Oxford White/Silver

Old 07-10-1999, 07:09 PM
Unhappy

It's just the mirror....TCS is right the pass side is solid as a rock. Dealer changed it once and is going to order another..till they get a good one.....saga continues

Old 07-18-1999, 10:43 PM
My driver side mirror shakes also, had it too the dealer last Wednesday and they said they took the door panel off and found a loose screw and tightened it up and there is no more prob, yeah righ, the mirror is no better than b4, it shakes right at the swivel and there is no way I can see of fixing that, they just need to put a new mirror. Is it possible that dealer can charge Ford a labor rate on that kinda warranty work?

------------------
99 F-150 sc, 4x4,5.4,wedgewood blue,mods are on the way

Old 08-08-1999, 08:09 AM
Had the fourth mirror replaced yesterday.. Ford admitted they have a problem...fix...keep replacing the mirrors! This one "looks" about 98% better but the passenger side is still rock solid compared to the drivers side.

Old 08-12-1999, 02:46 PM
Lightbulb

I had someone steal the mirror glass off my Tbird last spring. If the mirror is the same design, the frame looked to bolt to the door. The remote mechanism bolted to the mirror frame then the mirror snaps onto the remote control mechanism. It's just kind of a plastic/rubber socket that holds the two pieces together

Whoever stole my glass, looked like you could just hook your fingers under the edge of the glass and pop the whole glass assembly off. If the frame is tight to the door, best guess is one or more of the screws inside it where the mechanism bolts in are either loose or the holes are stripped out.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 08-15-1999, 08:21 PM
Angry

well the mirror still shakes..guess it's time to call Ford..this is the fourth replacement..anybody out there work for Ford?
Has to be a solution somewhere.

Old 09-13-1999, 10:29 PM
Vic
Cool

I have a 99 F-150 XLT. I had a vibration in my truck since it was about a week old. First the tires were rebalanced about 4 times, then they finally replaced my Generals with some Michelins (I paid the difference). But I can't seem to get rid of the vibration in the Drivers side mirror. Just like Stihl, the passenger side mirror is rock solid. A few weeks ago I took the truck in. They tightened the doors (they weren't shutting all the way) and replaced the mirror assembly. The vibration did decrease, but within a day the mirror was vibrating again. I haven't taken the truck back yet, it's too much of a hassle because the truck is my only vehicle and I don't get a loaner. Please post with any updates.

Old 09-14-1999, 02:37 PM
I had my drivers side mirror replaced last week. Doesn't shake any more. Now I have some annoying sound coming from the door where they took the panel off to get to the mirror. They fix one thing, mess up something else. It never fails.

Old 09-29-1999, 07:22 PM
I, also, am having this problem. I havn't taken it to the dealer yet, but now that I know about the probs. everyone else is having, it wont be long. Passenger side, no prob.

------------------
98 Triton XLT Extended, Buckets, CD, bug shield,billet grille,80 watt Wizard ultra white bulbs,K&N,Flowmaster,dueled w/3.5 stainless turndowns at rear bumper. Black nurf bars, 3% tint, 2" drop w/17X8 MB Motoring wheels on Dunlop rubber.Smoothed tailgate. Black/Gray

Old 09-30-1999, 08:06 PM
Well guys it's been a couple of weeks and I finally called the 800 number in the owners manual. First call: they recorded complaint item etc. Second call (two weeks later) they lost the data from the first call and after providing everything again, the fellow said he would send the data to the zone rep and I would get a call. Third call (four weeks later): this associate said last fellow never forwarded anything. Said it would really go out to the zone guy this time. Remember "It's A Better Idea" !
After the dealer changed the mirror(whole assembly) two times, broke the rear cover last time. They said although Ford knows they have a problem..that's all we can do. Use the lemon law ! Don't you just love America and the american workers..use the lemon law..... They did tell me they found a bulletin for an expolorer that said "mirror shakes" check tire psi to door label (35PSI) not tire listing. And the big one, some models of bug deflectors cause this.
Tire PSI at 35 removed my deflector...and the envelope ...please......................................... ................... it still shakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the time to examine how yours glass sits in the housing and is held in by a black plastic retainer...mine is loose as hell and even sitting (not 65MPH)you can make it shake. Time to fire up the box fan and make my own wind machine!!!!

[This message has been edited by Stihl (edited 09-30-1999).]

Old 10-01-1999, 04:18 PM
Unhappy

Yes, I have started to notice the shake. I picked the truck up last friday (9/24) and started noticing it Monday already(three days later). Hopefully the dealer can fix it the first time, but it doesn't sound like that will happen

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3.55 S/C SB ORP, Towing Package, Powr-Slider, Custom Paint(Waldoch), Gibson SS dual exhaust.

Old 10-05-1999, 10:29 PM
Red face

I am a Ford auto technician. I have never run across any complaints on the mirrors of the F-series trucks shaking. BUT now that you mentioned it, MINE SHAKES, and my passenger side is tight as ever. Oh boy, I know what I'm going to spend my day at work doing tomorrow. I'll let everybody know if I come up with a fix or some updated info on this.

Quick Reply: Drivers power mirror shake