How much dynomat ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much dynomat ?

Thinking of putting some dynomat in my truck to help keep the road noise down. How much is needed to do a Screw??

Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
If you have a little time to do some reading, you can learn a lot and save a lot of $$.

Deadening a panel by covering it with butyl rubber helps some with road noise, but not as much as what you would think-it just keeps the panel from resonating-doesn't insulate you from the outside (road) noise.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

http://www.raamaudio.com/

no connection with either company, but have used their products.

The RAAM how-to is more "old school". It works, but is more expensive for the results achieved IMHO.

Been years since I looked at the product you referred to, it used to be very expensive for what you recieved (and in my opinion).

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will never use Dynomat or any of the expensive crap. I went to Home Depot and got self stick roofing rolls, IT IS THE SAME STUFF AS DYNOMAT. It is less than $20.00 per roll and I did 4 doors and had a lot left over. My stereo shop (high end) wasn't surprised, they said it was the same product and works the same. Two of them have it in their trucks. Save the cash and use this product. It comes in 12 inch rolls. After it is applied, leave the plastic on the top. It does NOT smell in the hot sun, I've had it in my deisel for 2 years in 110 degree heat.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for that! I have been trying to find a nice budget friendly product.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM
I used fatmat on my lancer, not bad stuff. Its about $60 for 25sqft. I plan on doing fatmat on my f150 on the inner door and on the panel side so i have two layer deadening on the doors.. I'm sure that might take 50 sqft. Then whatever left I have i can put on the floor by the rear bench since thats where my subs are.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Will never use Dynomat or any of the expensive crap. I went to Home Depot and got self stick roofing rolls, IT IS THE SAME STUFF AS DYNOMAT. It is less than $20.00 per roll and I did 4 doors and had a lot left over. My stereo shop (high end) wasn't surprised, they said it was the same product and works the same. Two of them have it in their trucks. Save the cash and use this product. It comes in 12 inch rolls. After it is applied, leave the plastic on the top. It does NOT smell in the hot sun, I've had it in my deisel for 2 years in 110 degree heat.
The guys in the various Hot Rod forums do the same thing and there are tons of threads on it. People actually bash Dynomat because of its insane price!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I used Second Skin products on my Corvette and was extremely happy with it. Yes is was more expensive than the Home Depot route, and much less the the obscenely expensive Dynamat, which I would never buy cause of the marketing hype. I am very interested in sound supressing my '10 SCREW, and going to look investigate the Home Depot "method"...

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Has anyone used something like the Rustoleum rubberized spray in the door cracks and inner door panels. Also areas where the mats are harder to get into. Same concept as the second skin spectrum.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Don't spray anything in corners or seams, it will hold moisture. Would not advise using on inner panels, it is like glue. Also does not work as well a a matting.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM

How would it hold moisture? As for the inner panels. What do u mean. Please explain. Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
It will hold condensation, when metal cools it attracts condensation. Look at your exhaust in the morning.....The spray is sticky for several hours, but if you don't mind waiting, use it. However, it does not have the dampening power of the matting.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM

I see what you mean. As the rubberized spray will fill in the cracks that allow the moisture to vent thru. I was thinking of using it in addition to the mats. So the spectrum is no good?? I've seen videos of hot rods and stuff where the entire interiors are sprayed.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by MedicF150
I see what you mean. As the rubberized spray will fill in the cracks that allow the moisture to vent thru. I was thinking of using it in addition to the mats. So the spectrum is no good?? I've seen videos of hot rods and stuff where the entire interiors are sprayed.
Yea, I know. ......Use the mat from Home Depot, it works and is way less than the commercial stuff.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got two boxes of dynamat extreme that fell of the truck for $60. i was able to do my 4 doors, rear wall, partial of my front floor boards (one layer) and all of the rear floor boards with two layers. With M/ts and magnapack exhaust it has helped with road noise substantially, especially the ever annoying wind gusts will doing 75 on a highway. had i had to re-do this again i'd probably go with second skin, or even try the home depot stuff someone mentioned here. By applying any rubber sheet of material adhered to metal it makes the metal "quiet", kinda like the "quiet-steel" Ford advertized when they released our 04-08 trucks

Medic what do you plan on covering? with one box i was able to do the outside skin and inner panel of my doors (4) and still had two 24"x36" sheets to do my front floor. the box came with 9 sheets so, 54 sqft is what i roughly used for those parts.

Last edited by fine_style150; 02-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Wow that's a great deal. I'm looking at doing the same you did. Maybe double in some areas. Where can I find that trucks route
Originally Posted by fine_style150
i got two boxes of dynamat extreme that fell of the truck for $60. i was able to do my 4 doors, rear wall, partial of my front floor boards (one layer) and all of the rear floor boards with two layers. With M/ts and magnapack exhaust it has helped with road noise substantially, especially the ever annoying wind gusts will doing 75 on a highway. had i had to re-do this again i'd probably go with second skin, or even try the home depot stuff someone mentioned here. By applying any rubber sheet of material adhered to metal it makes the metal "quiet", kinda like the "quiet-steel" Ford advertized when they released our 04-08 trucks

Medic what do you plan on covering? with one box i was able to do the outside skin and inner panel of my doors (4) and still had two 24"x36" sheets to do my front floor. the box came with 9 sheets so, 54 sqft is what i roughly used for those parts.

Quick Reply: How much dynomat ?