Billet Grille Hell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Billet Grille Hell?

Just installed clear corners this weekend (what a simple mod!) and the next thing I want to do is intall a billet grille to finish cleaning up the front end. Silver truck, clear corners... billet grille's a natural right?

Anyway, from what I've been reading here, it looks like installing these things can be a real pain in the backside. Is that true? Has anybody found the secret, like one brand is easier than another to intsall or something?

Any advice is appreciated, as always!

Thanks.

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*tint/vent visors/air deflector
(no, I did NOT get stuck in
the accessory dept. at K-Mart!)

Old 11-28-2000, 09:58 PM
JonC,

From my research on this board, it seems the Stull brand is the easiest (read: least-difficult) to install. I'd like a confirmation on that, since it's time I did it myself. I'd also like to find a reputable dealer for one?!

------------------
Truck: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip, Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner shell cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit, Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom shell curtains, custom shell neons, custom sunglass insert. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust, billet grille, fog lights.

Old 11-28-2000, 10:17 PM
Thumbs up

Hey guys - I just installed a Stull billet grille (part# 5072P) and although the instructions can be a little confusing, the whole job took about an hour and it looks AWESOME! I've had more comments & compliments on it than any other mods I've done.
I bought mine at carparts.com using discount coupon #1963005 (33% off). cost me $99.95 + 8.50 shipping.
If you do decide to purchase it and have problems installing post here and I'll walk ya through it
Hope this helps

------------------
Y2K+1 F-150 SCrew
4x2 Lariat 5.4
Black\Silver 2-Tone
Hideous Lariat Striping Removed!!!
Med.Graphite Captain's Chairs
Power Moon Roof
98 Expy Console
Kenwood KDC-9011 & KDC-D300 Stacked In Dash
Class 3 Towing Group
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Factory Bed Extender
Ameraguard Spray In Liner
Stull Billet Grille
Westin Black Nerf Bars

Pictures

Old 11-29-2000, 01:04 AM
Thanks to both of you!

SgtFury... If I go with the Stull, I'm sure I'll take you up on that advice offer. I'm sure it's nothing more than I can handle, I just really dislike it when projects like this are made harder than they need to be because of bad directions and crappy engineering. I do think the look is well worth the hassle, though!

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*Clear corners
*tint/vent visors/air deflector
(no, I did NOT get stuck in
the accessory dept. at K-Mart!)

Old 11-29-2000, 01:07 AM
Mine is a trenz, and it was very easy to install, took about 1 hour. The bumper insert is also a trenz, it also took about 1 hour..

Old 11-29-2000, 10:25 AM
Is there much drilling or cutting required with either installation? How about major front end disassembly? I know I've seen some posts where folks have removed their front bumpers and such to get the job done!

Btw... my truck is a 2000 4x2 XLT if that matters

Old 11-29-2000, 10:48 AM
http://www.accessconnect.com/ has some good prices for the Stull billet grille in both brushed and polished finish. I'm not sure about cutting required to install the grille (haven't done mine YET) but from what I understand, there are some plastic tabs that hold the black grille insert in that need to be broken/cut off. If you have the chrome surround with eggcrate insert (see top right picture of this page), that's a whole different beast. The entire insert portion needs to be cut out with a dremel or something. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not experienced in fine detail cutting. The grille insert is also different for the chrome surrounds, they are not interchangeable with the ones for the color-keyed surrounds. As far as removing the grille, it is not difficult. You have to remove the top black cover that is on top of the fan shroud/hood latch area, remove corner lenses, and there are some plastic fasteners that hold an airdam-type piece of plastic to the bottom of the grille that also connects to the fenders. The fasteners that go into the fenders need to be removed. Don't forget the two clips that are behind the grille that also need to be pushed out. You can see them if you look through the grille. I think there are 10 screws total that secure the grille to the truck. Don't worry, it's easier to remove than it sounds here. Shouldn't take but about 10-15 minutes to remove it. Hope this helps.

<edit>
I found this link with instructions and pics for removing the grille shell from the truck. http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/lig.../logogrill.htm Have fun.
</edit>

[This message has been edited by Preyhunter (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Preyhunter (edited 11-29-2000).]

Old 11-29-2000, 05:15 PM
Thanks, SgtFury, for the info. However, I searched carparts.com and can't find the correct model. Everything is vague. What's the carparts.com product number? Their dB won't search by Stull model number.

TIA

------------------
Truck: 2000 F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 auto, supercab, oxford white/dark graphite, 3.55 LS, std bed, prem CD, class III towing, sliding rear window. ADDED: SuperChip, Westin step bars, Fumoto oil valve, Ford bugshield, Vent Visors, Penda Hide-A-Hooks, Rhino bed liner, SnugTop HiLiner shell cap, Lee Anderson carpet kit, Kleen Wheel brake dust shields, Yakima TerraGate 2 hitch bike rack, rubber duckie antenna, Ford wheel locks, dark gray Dash Mat, stoopid fuel magnets, Lund wiper cowl, EGR fender flares, Ford cabin air filtration, custom shell curtains, custom shell neons, custom sunglass insert. SOON: K&N FIPK, Flowmaster or Ravin exhaust, billet grille, fog lights.

Old 11-29-2000, 05:36 PM
Exclamation

click here Christopher http://www.carparts.com/parts/search...5072p&x=8&y=13

------------------
Y2K+1 F-150 SCrew
4x2 Lariat 5.4
Black\Silver 2-Tone
Hideous Lariat Striping Removed!!!
Med.Graphite Captain's Chairs
Power Moon Roof
98 Expy Console
Kenwood KDC-9011 & KDC-D300 Stacked In Dash
Class 3 Towing Group
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
Factory Bed Extender
Ameraguard Spray In Liner
Stull Billet Grille
Westin Black Nerf Bars

Pictures

Old 11-30-2000, 05:30 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks, SgtFury.

The problem with their search engine is that the single search result for "5072p" wasn't showing up in Netscape!!! Only after running the thing in IE did I get the link to the actual product page.

Time to email the carparts.com webmaster!

Oh.. and thanks for that coupon number. I just ordered the grille and the coupon saved me some bucks!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 11-30-2000).]

Quick Reply: Billet Grille Hell?