WHEN SHOULD WE RESET OUR COMPUTERS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WHEN SHOULD WE RESET OUR COMPUTERS?

Could someone please tell me when we should reset our computer? Should we reset them after every mod dealing with (air filter and Exhaust)? Also how long after you reset your computer will you start seeing increased “consistent” performance increases? (How long does it take to learn)?

I had made the FIPK mods to my Navigator and noticed a sizable increase in power. A few days latter I reset my computer and now most of that increase in gone. Maybe it’s just me getting used to the increase, Maybe the FIPK mods dirtied my Mass air flow sensor. Maybe I just haven’t waited long enough for my computer to adjust to maximum performance.

I have only 120 mile since I reset my computer.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. ,FIPK (mods), Superchip, Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers and duel CatBack. (If possible)

Old 10-30-2000, 06:12 PM
Talking

you should reset after each mod. and i think you are just getting use to it.

------------------
2001 SUPER CREW 4x4 Lariat White
  • Graphite Leather captain's chairs
  • 5.4L
  • Moonroof
  • 6CD
  • limited slip
  • Tow and Off Road package
  • Bed Extender
Mods
  • Infinty speakers
  • JBL powered sub
  • Bug Guard
  • Ford molded mud flaps (rear)
  • K&N
  • Magnaflow 3"
  • Bed mat
  • Snug Lid
  • CRL Powerlite rear window

Old 10-30-2000, 06:59 PM
Question

How do you reset your computer? I have added exhaust and a airaid air filter. I have done nothing to my computer. I didn't even know that the computer needs to be reset. Can someone please explain that to me.
Thanks,
Sport

Old 10-30-2000, 08:55 PM
Hey Sport,
To reset the computer. Just disconnect the negative side of your battery. Then turn your head light switch to the on position (this helps drain your computer boards quicker). Give it about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn your light switch to the off position and reconnect the battery and your set.
The reason for resetting your computer is so that it will relearn the program with your new mods.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip,K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Ravin' Z-55 Performance Exhaust.

Old 10-31-2000, 08:08 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks,

That clears up most of it.
How long does the computer take to re-learn??
When we first restart after a reset do we need to Idle for a while before driving?
Anything Special? Just reset and RUN.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. ,FIPK (mods), Superchip, Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers and duel CatBack. (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty
“Ultimate Off Road Edition”

Borge Warner T18 4 speed,
Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials.,
Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar,
Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs,
Factory 2” Lift
Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP”
33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain
Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn
XD9000I Winch.
Full Factory Skid Plates.
302 Long Block,
K&N FIPK
JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler,
Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 10-31-2000, 09:35 PM
Hey LaserNAV,
They say usually within 500 miles or so.
You don't have to do anything special, just run it like you always have. Your computer will take care of the rest.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip, K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Ravin' Z-55 Performance Exhaust.

Old 11-01-2000, 01:26 PM
Question

Like sport, I have never reset the computer either. So what if we did our mods a long time ago. Well the reset still help. If this reset was never performed, does also mean that we might see a increase performance wise when we reset it? Being that the whole time, the computer didn't recognize it's mod upgrade?

Old 11-01-2000, 07:44 PM
Question

I reset my computer yesterday and I didn't see any change will I notice a change in the near future?
Thanks,
Sport

Old 11-01-2000, 10:07 PM
Exclamation

These are all good questions.

Sport & F150Y2K

It sounds like and I am not sure but if you do not reset your computer it will not adjust to your new mods. But if you had finally reset your computer after a long time you would still need to drive it 500 miles for it to fine tune in.

I hope someone can clear some of these questions up since we all have computers in our trucks and of course we want to get the most performance out of our mods.

------------------

(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 11-02-2000, 12:58 AM
Hey Guys,
The reset of your computer should help enhance the performance of your truck with the mods you've installed, F150Y2k. Your computer wasn't reprogrammed, but your truck picked up the mod. So there should be an extra little "Kick", once you re-set the computer.
The whole point of resetting the computer is so that it will re-learn the program with the new mods.
As I stated previously, it usually takes roughly 500 miles for the computer to program itself with your new mods. Give or take a few miles.
Hope this helps you guys out.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip, K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Ravin' Z-55 Performance Exhaust.

Old 11-03-2000, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a couple of pointers here guys, if I may......

This technique of resetting the computer by doing the battery disconnect is a technique to improve short-term results. If you do not do this, the computer will still "adapt" to any mods you make when relevant, it will simply take longer, so that the power gains may come in a bit more gradually with some types of parts like the Superchip, that's all.

It's a "tuner's trick" to improve short term results. We do it anytime we install a new go-fast part, just out of habit & wanting the ECU to adapt a bit quicker.

It's more important to do this re-set when you install the Superchip, as compared to other parts like the airbox elimination kits or an exhaust system change, as whether or not you do the battery disconnect after changing the computer's program has a very direct impact on your immediate results. If you don't do this when installing the Superchip, the power gains & shift changes wil come in much more gradually, over the next 350-500 miles, and even more, in some cases.

For parts like K&N's, exhausts, etc., it's not nearly so important to do this "resetting" of the computer. We still do it, and you can as well if you want, it's just not nearly as big an impact as it is with the Superchip. This is simply because when you install the Superchip, if you do not clear the computers memory by disconnecting the battery and turning on the lights for a long enough period to drain all residual voltage from the system (5 full minutes is enough time for the lights to be on), the previous program is still sitting there in memory, and will be slowly overwritten as the new instructions from the Superchip's program execute. So in the case of changing the computer's program via adding the Superchip, it's much more important to do the reset.

We do the reset when installing *any* go-fast part on our vehicles, but it is not *required* for the computer to adapt to it, it's simply a matter of how long that process takes, and doing the reset shortens that process.

I hope this info makes this a little bit clearer than mud guys,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-05-2000, 03:25 PM
Thumbs up

I was about to post exactly what Mike already did.

Bear in mind, if you do the mods and reset the lookup tables by disconnecting the battery, your computer will adapt to the mods more quickly, but it will still adapt to the conditions you subject the system to. If you only occasionally get on it, your computer will adapt for fuel economy, not power.

The reason you see gains initially after making a mod and the power seems to diminish is the adaptive strategy at work. If you want to see the gains, and maintain that power output at all times, you will need to drive it hard all the time.

In other words, JUST FLOOR IT! I understand this is not pratical, and not always legal, but it does ensure you are maximizing the potential of your mods.

You can actually test this. You will see power increase and fuel economy drop off. When you drive normally again, the system will adapt again. Fuel economy will return and power will be reduced.

Hope this helps.
Derek (aka Crash)

------------------
BLOWN 4.6 5-speed

Where we started.
After a facelift.
Latest MOD!

Trixters-Playground!
trixters-playground@excite.com

F-150online Photo Album
crash@f150fanatic.com

MAGNACHARGER
ALLEN

Quick Reply: WHEN SHOULD WE RESET OUR COMPUTERS?