gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas mileage

anybody have any tips for better gas mileage for my 06 FX4. Is anybody else getting 11mpg.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? I started to see gains at about 15k. Also, try to keep the revs at 2k and check your air pressure. When my truck was my daily driver I kept 35 psi in the tires. Now that I drive around town on the weekends I dropped it to 30. The roads are crap here and it rode way to rough.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:07 AM
I get 10mpg-I have a lead foot

Old 11-21-2006, 04:13 AM
what size tires are u running aftermarket rims? there size, any lifts, engine mods ????????

Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM
2006 FX4 4X4 16 miles per gallon.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
getting 16-17 out of my 02 FX4. you can do the usual power adders (intake, exhaust) put on an e-fan, headers and a tuner. these will help get better mileage.

then, ofcourse, you can drive more careful. don't gun it when not needed, that sort of thing.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I would first install some sort of intake mod, be it an OEM replacement filter--going to K&N or the like, or a full cold air induction system.

Next, I'd raise tire pressure to around 38 in the front and 36 in the rear. This should help with the rolling drag.

To counter air resistance--draft when possible. After about 25 mph, 99% of the engine's energy is spent on pushing air. Also--keep windows up, A/C off, and use cruise control. While on a downhill (and no cops in sight), accelerate. When you're on the uphill, you won't have to stain the engine as much to get up at a decent speed.

After that--drive like a granny. No unnecessary lead foot. One more thing that I found helps--high tech syn oil. Mobil One, AMSOIL, etc. are all good. Better lubricity between the moving parts

Some mods that people say help (but I've never tried myself):
-Underdrive Pullies
-Tuners (be careful--some require you to use Premium gas)
-Exhaust (depending on kind you get depends on sound vs. improvement--certain brands offer sound, others offer performance)
-Efans
-Reduce weight (DO NOT DROP YOUR SPARE!!!--too many people try to eliminate as much weight as possible, so they drop their roadside emergency tools)
-Wax your truck (I know this sounds cheesy, but it works. Clean and slick surfaces cut the air more efficiently than a ragged surface does)
-Loost the A/T tires (If you have them). Get a road suited tire. (I Know this takes away from the cool effect, but at least loose the Nitto Mud Grapplers for something a little more modest--ie: BFG Rugged trail, Long Trail, etc)
-If you're on the freeway, drive at 55mph. (I know this is slow, but if you're on a budget, going 55 instead of 65 or 70 is the easiest way to gain 5-6 mpg. It's where the engine was made to cruise)

Sorry for the book of a post. If I think of anything else (this is al that comesto mind at the moment), I'll be sure to post. But do a search. This has been discussed many a time.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
adt
A cool air intake w/a high flow filter, a high flow exhaust, and E-fans will increase performance and fuel mileage. Tuners are usually used for performance gains which usually use more fuel and higher octane requirements. But consider how much $$$ you'll need to spend just to save a few bucks at the pump. It might take years to actually save anything at all. I know gas prices are high and we all want to save $$$ were we can but you guys are talking about spending big bucks to save a few bucks on gas. These trucks are heavy and burn alot of gas. Hell, I'm at the pumps every 4 days filling up cause I drive alot for my business, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive 55 mph on the highway. You're just going to ****-off alot of people. If you drive 65-70 mph that should be running at around 2000 rpms then that should be sufficient to save gas.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I am seeing between 15-16 and that is both city and highway. 75% highway 25% city.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
i gained 100 kms per tank by switching my vehilcle to all amsoil lube...

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by f150newf
i gained 100 kms per tank by switching my vehilcle to all amsoil lube...

Engine, Tranny, Diffs? Anything else you converted over to amsoil? 100 KMS(or 62 miles) would be about 3 more driving days to and from work.

To the OP, I would suggest a Scangauge II, yep, costs about $160 off of Ebay, but it will help to curb your driving. I will leave it at that since I have been beaten up enough over this particular add-on.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:51 PM
sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly do e-fans do to help out?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
they replace you stock fan which is driven by the engine and sucks hp. efans just free up a few ponies

Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
they replace you stock fan which is driven by the engine and sucks hp. efans just free up a few ponies

The real gain is just from the removal of the clutch fan. Starting to get into the cooler part of the year. If someone wants to see what their truck would feel like with an efan conversion without converting just yet, remove the clutch fan now that it is beginning to get cooler outside and try the truck out. Just dont drive somewhere in slow traffic as the engine can still overheat. The efans themselves simply pull air when triggered, just to keep your coolant manageable in conjunction with your t-stat.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 AM
I've been getting 14+/-, stock ride height & wheels, 32" tires, Volant CAI & Hypertech but no "performance" tune.

Thinking 'bout e-fans myself but I've spent a bunch of money on other stuff so far.

Engine, diffs, transfer & power steering have all been changed to synth. How many of you forget about parasitic loss in the p/s pump? Sure it's minor but that thing's always running... Besides it'll run on MercV just like the transfer and tranny. Synthetic shut mine up too. I've got 118K on the truck and the p/s always whined a bit when the wheel was turned, put the synth in and no more whine.

Need to look into flushing the tranny so I can change that over. Guess I could take enough fluid to a shop & have them do it...

Quick Reply: gas mileage