Almost factory/OEM nav units on eBay - anyone seen these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost factory/OEM nav units on eBay - anyone seen these?

I searched and found a rather outdated topic on these, but plus this unit looks updated (maybe just software).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The only thing it looks like it's missing is Sirius, which I don't subscribe to anyway. I like the fact that it has iPod adapter can play DVDs and you can listen to music while in nav mode. Plus it looks like it's factory! I'm waiting to hear back if it will work with my Audiophile system and if it will need to be reprogrammed for my '08 FX4. The auction states it will work with my steering wheel controls. I am concerned about how I will update the nav though.

Anyone know if I will need to buy anything more to fit my FX4? I was hoping some of you experts could tell by looking at the pics (they provide pics of the back of the unit in the auction).

I'm really thinking about buying this over the OEM unit since it can play DVDs and it will be new.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes I just bought one this week. You will need to know a couple of things before you commit to this item. It is made in china but what isn't anymore. there is no bracket out there for this but that is not a problem. I tried several and serched the internet, wrote back and forth to the seller which is the sameguy. he had never heard of this problem but was looking into it. I solved the problem by filing the rivet off the OEM bracket. The units has the holes but not in the right spot. you will have to offset the holes to the back of the bracket 1/4" and file down the locator pins. then it will fit fine. The manual is lacking for all wire hookups for dvd options but the seller helped out and was contacting factory for better instructions. There is a backup camera available and beats the hell out of the one I previously had. The unit does connect with the factory harness but there is a pigtail for the extra features like veiwing the dvd player. it need input from the brake or just put a switch in it that goes to ground like I did. Not quite legal but it works. Watch out for the RCA plugs and tape the ones that you do not use as they can make contact the metal frame and drain you battery. I will send a picture if you are interested. I hooked up the camera to a switch and with what I could get out of the manual you the rca plug from the camera into the ccd in( there are two) the yellow one brings in the picture and the orange one appears to be for the radar. attach the reverse wire off of pig tail to the camera power feed. Took about 8 hours to install but i made a whole new bracket by reverse engineering from OEM bracket. I like it but like I said it has some obstacles to over come.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Updates?

Any updates to this unit now you have had it a while? Thinking about getting one. Any functionality issues?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
DUB-DUB,
There was a thread going in the "Head Unit" section - "Looking to buy a OEM Nav unit" a while back that referenced all of these aftermarket chinese POS. TrustiGo, Squaretrade etc.... below was my review in that thread.

Here is my review of the TrustiGo unit: It Sucks and is not worth the money!!!
For comparison I have the TrustiGo Nav in my Ram truck and the factory Ford Nav in my Expedition and I would choose the factory unit over it without a doubt.
The Nav part of the TrustiGo unit is about the only thing worth while on it but I would have been better off just getting a portable GPS and saving a few bucks.
The sound is worse than factory radio ( if that's possible )
The radio reception is horrible.
The unit doesnt always save all your settings in regards to map zoom levels and resorts back to 3D mode anytime you enter a destination.
Sometimes the unit resets itself like it has to reboot.
Shows military time in any screen other than MAP.
Doesnt display radio station, cd track or anything else while on map screen nor can you change to a different preset while in map mode.
You cant just hit one button to get back to the map if changing anything in your trip, you have to keep hitting the back button and back all the way out. Big PIA.
The Ipod intergration is marginal at best.
Bluetooth is ok, but I've had complaints about echo and sound on the recieving end.
I have a backup camera connected to it and when in reverse you have no control over anything, such as volume, so if the radio is too loud when you shift into reverse you're stuck with it.
It does mute the volume when calling out directions but there is a long delay before volume returns to normal.
The illumination is something out of the 70's with no dimmer control.

I really have nothing positive to say about it.
Made me a true believer of the saying "You get what you pay for".

HTH
Matt

Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Good to know, I think I remember reading your review in the other thread. Thanks for the reply

WW

Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 AM
mtmoose...

I recently bought one of these, plugged it in and it doesnt work. Looking at the harness provided the pins dont match up to the car harness. As you stated there is no pin outs with the unit. I have tried contacting the manufacturer but they have yet to give a useful answer.

Do you have the pin outs for the head unit so i can re pin the harness ?

Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
I have had this unit now for a while. The GPS works marginally. Finding a point of interest is very difficult. It works well for finding addresses which is what it gets used for as I am a volunteer fire fighter. I have not found anyone who supports it. There were to harnesses in the box, one worked and one did not. the steering wheel controls do not work like they should volume up on volume down button. changes channels on volume up. It does come with remote control but it is still the principle that it should work. I am looking to get a real ford one from the scrap yards but I don't kknow if it will work in my 04'. I have no problem with dvd function. I don't use the IPOD or MP3 functions as I am pretty flexible in radio stations and we have great dj's in my area. Did have some problems getting stations going across South Dakota. Blue tooth works alright if windows are up. I wouldn't buy another one as it doesn't meet my standards.

Trending Topics

Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
You get what you pay for folks... If you want the factory navi and can fit it into your truck and your budget, get that.

Otherwise, get a semi-reputable unit like a Pioneer, Clarion, Kenwood, etc..

Quick Reply: Almost factory/OEM nav units on eBay - anyone seen these?