Navigation/GPS Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation/GPS Help

Hey guys...i was really wanting to put a navigation system in my 2006 F150. I have a lot of questions about these things..i am new to researching them. First off, what is the best navigation system or gps...and what is the difference? I have read on these that the basic starting price is around 400? I have seen products like tom tom...and wonder how they would be and how they would actually mount in our trucks. I am really needing the basics....maps, and definitely turn by turn directions..that is a must..voice activated would be nice too....any suggestions on the brands/models that are reasonably priced? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Posted same question/no reply

Originally Posted by stud_135
Hey guys...i was really wanting to put a navigation system in my 2006 F150. I have a lot of questions about these things..i am new to researching them. First off, what is the best navigation system or gps...and what is the difference? I have read on these that the basic starting price is around 400? I have seen products like tom tom...and wonder how they would be and how they would actually mount in our trucks. I am really needing the basics....maps, and definitely turn by turn directions..that is a must..voice activated would be nice too....any suggestions on the brands/models that are reasonably priced? Thanks in advance!
I posted the same question some time ago and still have gotten no response!!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Check out Garmin...I think they offer the most number of models

Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I spent of lot of time researching the best portable system for my Expy, and the common conclusion was the Garmin Nuvi line of GPS systems.

They were consistently the highest rated by both professional review sites and users.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 350, and haven't been happier. It's the best gadget I've owned, size of a deck of cards, and does many things besides navigation. It navigates perfectly, has long battery life if you don't want to have it corded, and easily moved from car to car.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by mitch150
I posted the same question some time ago and still have gotten no response!!
Sorry, didn't have my coffee this morning!!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by gpaje
I spent of lot of time researching the best portable system for my Expy, and the common conclusion was the Garmin Nuvi line of GPS systems.

They were consistently the highest rated by both professional review sites and users.

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 350, and haven't been happier. It's the best gadget I've owned, size of a deck of cards, and does many things besides navigation. It navigates perfectly, has long battery life if you don't want to have it corded, and easily moved from car to car.
+1 on the Nuvi, 660 here. Loved mine so much I bought the wife one for her Explorer too. I only wish they would update the maps already, but I suppose you run into that with any GPS you buy, since there are only a few companies that do the actual "mapping".

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
How much did these gps systems run you guys? How was installation..anyone have them professionally installed...and how much was that? Thanks i really like the look of these

Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 AM
How much did these gps systems run you guys? How was installation..anyone have them professionally installed...and how much was that? Thanks i really like the look of these
$500 or less for a portable model, and $1000+ for a double din in the dash installed.

For the portable model, they come with both windshield and dash mounting options. Both are completely removable for ease of use and transferring from car to car.

As for the in-dash systems, they are either double din big screen, or a single din flip-out screen. Unless you are experienced installer, this option will require professional installation.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
All the Garmin Nuvi models are pretty much plug and play right? I think that is the best option for me....i know i asked this earlier but i wanted to make sure....do the garmin models...lets say 350..have voice turn-by-turn directions? If so i guess it comes out of a speaker in the unit...how loud are the directions? Thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes and yes I have the 360 it is the next model up just has bluetooth, also have the Kenwood DNX7100 installed this week end that also has garmin software they work great. will post pics later.

Last edited by brianl; 07-24-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:33 AM
All the Garmin Nuvi models are pretty much plug and play right? I think that is the best option for me....i know i asked this earlier but i wanted to make sure....do the garmin models...lets say 350..have voice turn-by-turn directions? If so i guess it comes out of a speaker in the unit...how loud are the directions? Thanks
You can adjust the volume to suit your likes, along with brightness of screen. It does great turn-by-turn directions, including naming all streets, and also if your destination is on the left or right side of the street.

Example: "Turn right on Melrose Ave...Arriving at your destination 555 Melrose Ave, on your right."

Other cool things about the Nuvi 350...

- stores all address you have imputed, also can save favorite locations.
- shows your mph when not currently guiding you to destination.
- has trip and top mph memory.
- becomes an mp3 player, has headphone jack and SD card slot.
- can use as photo album.
- tons of points of interest, like gas stations, atms, hospitals, entertainment, and phone numbers for each destination. Good for finding restaurants and calling ahead of time for reservations.
- tells you your estimated time of arrival.
- long battery life if you don't want that ugly cord hanging around.
- etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM
This sounds like exactly what i am looking for....any opinions on tom tom? Also do these systems have a monthly fee or anything like that for software?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 AM
This sounds like exactly what i am looking for....any opinions on tom tom? Also do these systems have a monthly fee or anything like that for software?
No service fee for GPS, it's free to the world. Software upgrades are done from the PC, just plug in the GPS with USB and it will connect to a desktop application that will search for patches or upgrades and then load them.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Certain models due have an option to tie into a traffic service too. They allows the GPS to get traffic updates and route around traffic automatically. Those services do typically cost money but again are optional.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by gpaje
As for the in-dash systems, they are either double din big screen, or a single din flip-out screen. Unless you are experienced installer, this option will require professional installation.
Or you could get a factory ford nav from me that's a complete plug and play, preprogramed for your truck and with a factory warranty. It won't take more than 20 minutes to install, even if you never picked up a tool before. My cell# is 978-815-5111.