Lincoln Blackwood & Mark LT

2006 mark LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 mark LT

Hi all,, new here,, been a gm 2500 hd man for about 5 years, and a ford 250 person all diesel for 12 years before that.
my 05 2500hd has 360k miles and i think its time to move along with it,, i found a 2006 LT with 114k miles,, maintenance records show it was maintained at least for basic maintenave pretty regularly. looks pretty clean, no carfax bad info that i can see. i can get it for about 7k with my 2500 truck as a trade in,,

i read the reviews on the truck from about 3 to 4 years out from introduction and looks mostly positive, basically a luxury f150. I'm 58 and i need a little luxury in my life,, just a little. i feel guilty if i get to much.

anyway,, i cant find any longer term happiness meters on this truck,,

so i am asking,, what kind of life expectancy can i hope to get from this particular truck, based on its current miles,, it is 12 years old,, and i dont want to be looking again in 2 years with a bunch of 1500 .00 repairs.. i have spent a ton on my 2500 the last two years,, and could have gotten something if i had fortune telling capabilities,, but, i have gotten a lot of miles out of that truck,,,,,

SO any thoughts or ideas or comments for me to consider would really be appreciated,,,,

Sincerely and thanking in advance
Kim

2500 HD 2005
73 eldorado convertible
63 couple deville,,,

Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Is the 2500 diesel?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 PM
yes the 2500 is a diesel

Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 PM

If the frame is in good condition, I wouldn't trade that for a gasser.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Really! frame is fine.. i have had to replace the block once about 2 years ago, HG went out twice in the original. Allison transmission has th original miles,, 350 to 360k,, its actually not in bad shape,, injectors have been going out, there are about 1200 a pop,, so I'm looking at 4 more,, at some point. I just wasnt sure what to do,, i keep thinking every year, i spend about 2k or so on the diesel,,, lots of 1500 or 2k repairs,, i keep thinking what else can go wrong, and each year, it is a new thing for 2k,, i can fix some stuff, but its an overwhelming engine to me..

Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 PM

You figure, it's a 2005 -- it doesn't owe you anything. $1500-2k a year on repairs isn't that bad in my opinion for a workhorse.

I know it's another animal, but I got a 2007 Jeep Compass that has 300k+ on it and every year I'm putting about $1000 to $1500 into it. This year I had to put in a new alternator, new injectors, plugs, coils on the engine. Last week I replaced all 4 corners of brake pads and rotors, including new 20 new lug nuts.

I now need to replace all 4 struts, the trailing arm ball joints, lateral links, along with anything else I find wrong.

It's a great reliable vehicle. Personally, I don't like the way it drives from day one new with 7 miles on it, but it gets me from point A to B. It's one of those things, that it's a great "go to work" vehicle.

I got plenty of nicer vehicles to drive around in... plus where I work (a college), kids can whack their doors on this thing all day long -- and I don't care.

Plus I like the fact the vehicle is mine and not belonging to a bank who is gouging interest off me. I'd rather throw my money to my local mechanics or to my local parts stores. Not to mention, I've learned a lot on this vehicle working on it myself!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 PM
hi,,thanks for the info,, i kinda went through that rational.. already,, I' dont really care how it looks, its a truck,,and work truck at that,,it is paid for, initial purchase and all the major repairs,, the more i look at it, the less i need the lincoln,, besides, i have two classic cadillacs for styling and profiling.

i have learned a lot of basic mechanicng on the caddys, the diesel, not as much, its so big, no room in the engine bay, i have used you tube for some repairs,, but it just looks and seems so much more complicated a system.. it does get good mileage though,,

anyway, thanks for the reminders,, I'm about talked out of it.. i dont really "NEED IT" just thinking a change wold be good for 7K swap,, another thing was hauling, i do haul one of the caddys each year from MS to MT on a 10k axle trailer,, so with a 5200 lb car and 2500lb trailer,, I'm near the top capability of the lincoln..,, see, I'm talking myself out of an big expense

again, thanks,

Old 06-02-2018, 12:05 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
There are also the issues that can occur with the 5.4 3 valve engine - spark plugs sticking and breaking when you try to remove them, and the VCT cam phaser system.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 PM
hi there, i,m new in the Lincoln Family too, me and my wife just bought a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT, with 71K on it, i was a bit spooked after having it for 3 weeks, guy we got it from was the original owner and from what he said he babied it and it show,s, but my spook was that it just started missing ,so i got the codes read and they pulled a P0307, misfire in cylinder 7, so i bought 1 plug and thought if that helped i would replace them all, they run 12 dollars each, but it did not help, so i swapped #7 coil, with # 5 coil, and the misfire did not move to #5 cylinder, after driving it for a bit i had the system checked again and showed a multiple misfire P0300, and a P0302 misfire in cylinder #2, so i thought id check this forum and found someone had a similar issue which seems so common now that i,ve looked into it again, and low and behold, it was the MAP sensor, i pulled it cleaned it as suggested and it helped it was running like a new truck, but i pulled a trailer today total of about 1800 pounds loaded, pulled with ease, but felt a slight miss at a stop light now im wondering if that is just normal, sorry for this long reply but this is a great truck so far hopefully can work out the kinks,

Old 09-07-2020, 11:21 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'd change the rest of the plugs. With 71k it's time. Be aware of the breakage issues.

You mean MAF, not MAP, right?

Old 09-12-2020, 10:43 PM
Hey! I have a Mark LT with 180K Miles on it. Just installed a new transmission and engine is still factory. The trucks is phenomenal and very expensive to maintain but because whenever the old parts fail off-roading or daily driving, I upgrade them on repairs so as not to break them or make them fail again. I heavily abuse it whether it be long trips, off-roading, towing, etc. It does what it has to do without struggles. The trucks are older and need more care than the normal ones but to me it's a better truck that the new ones. The 4 speed is simple to understand and easy to maintain just depends how much you wanna use it. The more you use it the more you'll spend on repairs.

Quick Reply: 2006 mark LT