Lightning

Sound Deadening Install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sound Deadening Install...

I swear I should write a book on how NOT to do things.

The setup:
Me: after teaching SCUBA and actually doing a rescue, a bit tired
The Lightning: Hauling ear and sitting in 85 degree weather
The Material: 100 sq. feet of B-Quiet and 27 sq. of B-Quiet Foam (much cheaper than dynamat)

I installed the doors yesterday (1 layer)

Got the interior removed reasonably quickly. Found out that Ford doesn't like making things flat

Applied 2 layer of B-Quiet to the floor and rear wall, covering one of the vents (passenger side). This took me about 3 hours and I learned something very important. Shiny things are reflective! The B-qiet installed in the car with the sun reflection made it QUITE hot and bright.

Foam went in pretty easy, I used 3M spray adhesive to make sure it didn't go anywhere. I kept the original jute because the new foam was thinner than it and I didn't want the carpet to be "sloppy"

Interior went back in and everything looked good.

Started her up and heard hardly anything. Hit the gas, and a nice purr. Opened the window, HOLY !@#% my baby is screaming. Closed the window, no more baby. Took it for a ride and the floor is very still (used to vibrate a lot). Music is very tight, bass has MUCH more response (just some nice 5x7's forget the brand)

All in all, I added about 40lbs (haven't weighed the scraps yet, but I'll have an exact shortly). I used 75 sq feet of B-Quiet and about 20 sq ft of the foam. The results are DEFINETLY worth it in my opinion.

B-Quiet is NOT as nice as Dynamat Extreme. It's not as well built (it was reasonably easy to pull the aluminium off the tar) and it is not as effective. That being said, it is 1/6 the price and I would highly recommend it (I paid $75, DynaMat Extreme would have been $450). If you've got oodles of money, go for the sexy labeled Dynamat, but otherwise... and yes I know the tar weather stuff is suppoed to be pretty good, but with the amount I've spent of this truck, I don't mind spending $50 to get a product designed for what I'm doing with it.

Coldie

Old 07-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Posting Rights Suspended
Good job, Coldie.

I went with the Dynamat and the difference probably isn't noticeable, other than in the wallet. What I liked about it as opposed to the other brands is the way it stretches and conforms. But, if you're truck was 100 degrees, you probably didn't notice...

The sound proofing really does make a difference by eliminating a majority of the road noise and makes the interior audio experience certainly better. A great mod for sure.

* Just keep in mind. If you plugged the rear vents on the back wall, consider turning off the pass. side air bag.

Just my .02

Old 07-15-2002, 08:27 AM
I wanted to Dynomat my truck, but after I went to see the cost at the store. WHOA momma!! It was like $49 for a small box that no way would cover my truck. So I opted not to get it cause I already was spending $299 for a new Kenwood stereo.

Someday maybe next year I will do it.

I just installed my subbox yesterday and it does sound like the metal vibrates in the cab. Guess I will have to live with it for now.

Old 07-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Posting Rights Suspended
QKSILVR:

Don't try buying it by the box. Check with your local stereo stores. Some will sell you the required 75sqft. off their big roll for a lot less.

Rich

Old 07-15-2002, 09:12 AM
TampaSVT,,

Thanks I will have to rember that. I saw this stuff Raamaudio mat on Ebay heck of a lot cheaper than dynamat.
searched on it and looks promising.

www.raamaudio.com

Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by TampaSVT
[

* Just keep in mind. If you plugged the rear vents on the back wall, consider turning off the pass. side air bag.

Just my .02 [/B]

huh? why? please learn me.

Old 07-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Posting Rights Suspended
Soundproofing in this manner makes the cab almost air-tight.

If you're ever in an accident, you wouldn't want to blow out your.... You get the picture.

Last edited by TampaSVT; 07-15-2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:55 AM
As for blowing out your ear drums, if you leave one open you should be ok, or is there still a chance????

Old 07-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Couldn't tell ya'. My concern stems from the fact that you can feel it in your ears when the A/C kicks on after soundproofing.

If you're going to leave one open to be safe(r), make sure it's the driver's side. Most of the road noise comes from the pass. side where the mufflers are.

Rich

Last edited by TampaSVT; 07-15-2002 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:35 PM
Vents etc...

first off b-quiet's website is www.b-quiet.com

I plugged only one vent, the passenger. I sealed the cab (with me in it and checked to make sure the drivers side vent would work on it's own and according to my certified diving ears, pressure change was negligible

I would really recommend this for others. I also worked out the math and the airbags shouldn't make a big difference in air pressure (equivilent to diving about 10ft), but it's always better safe than sorry.

Tampa: On the dynamat stretchiness. I agree 100% the b-quiet isn't stretchy at all even with 100 degree temps. The aluminium backing is thicker than dynamat, so you can't hardly distort it at all.

It's an amazing difference. I was leary of using dynamat at all because it isn't feasible in my Saturn due to the performance loss.(1800lbs and I would have to add 100+ lbs), but for a 5000lb truck, 40lbs for peace and quiet is a no brainer.

Coldie

PS: I noticed there was a bit of sound deadening OEM material. I wonder what year they added that.

Old 07-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Someone posted pictures of the whole job quite awhile ago, but I can't find them. Anyone remember who it was?

Old 07-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Pics...

Nope, but mine will be up today.

Coldie

Old 07-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Pics up!

I finally got around to putting an album up. Check out the install if you'd like...

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1501

Old 07-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Good job, man.

The only thing I did differently was to use the door liner as a template and applied the Dynamat on top of it so the Dynamat only touches the truck for 1/2-1" all around the edge of the liner.

This way, the sound has to pass through the large holes via the Dynamat.

Nice job on the photos, too.

Rich

Old 07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
smart...

Smart on the liner thing Tampa, although I'm not sure how much it helps

Since dynamat works by converting vibration into heat, not sure how well it will work in open air.

Still, it would have been much cleaner and easier....

camera is a Sony Mavica CD300. Really nice and easy, takes good snapshots (not professional, but good stuff for this kinda thing).

Coldie

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Install...