Lightning

TPS adjust problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow TPS adjust problem

I tried posting yesterday,everyone must have been out on the town! Anyway, I have installed a single blade T/B. Idle is OK but throttle causes bad stumble or wanting to die,seems like too much air. Bottom line is truck won't run. I am posting at NLOC,also. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Question

I don't think it's a TPS problem if your idle is OK. Maybe a tube left off the boot??? Can't think of any other cause for a bad throttle responce??

Dan

Old 06-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Question Stock TPS setting?

Does anyone know the stock TPS setting? I am going to swap back to stock but I don't know the stock volts setting. I took the stock sensor off to try on new T/B in case new sensor was bad. Same problem with either sensor,though. I can't set stock sensor now. Does some one know this setting?

Old 06-29-2002, 11:31 AM
I had the same problem. You need to let the engine warm up then at idle disconnect the IAC(idle air control) valve on the passengerside of the top of the blower. There is just an electrical connector that you unplug. With this unplugged I set the idle with the stop screw on the throttlebody to 500/550 rpm in park. Once this was set I plugged the IAC back in. Then I hooked up a meter to the center wire on the TPS and set it to .97 volts. After everything was set I disconnected the battery so the PCM would get a fresh start on learning the mods. BEFORE doing this I would get some stalling and when coasting down to a stop it felt like the drivetrain was dragging and kind of bucking .. Now it is fine after doing this...Hope this helps.. Jeff

Old 06-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Arrow IAC reply

Thanks JeffsLightning. I will try that now. I will let you know soon.

Old 06-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Arrow After IAC disconnect

Problem still persists. Will not throttle correctly from off idle. Almost stalls out. Bogs down then tries to catch up,then bogs down again. Do you (JeffsLightning) know the stock TPS volt setting, in case I have to go back to stock?

Old 06-29-2002, 12:59 PM
My stock TPS voltage at idle was .99 You have to have something else going on for your L not to run correctly. If the gasket seal is good and the TPS set correctly and all the vacuum lines hooked back up you should have been ok.. Make sure you do a good 15 minute battery disconnect also. I'm not sure what else to tell ya bud....sorry. I know it's frustrating especially after you spend the money and your stuffs not running right. Good luck and let us know what you find out...

Old 06-29-2002, 01:03 PM
have you messed around with the mass air flow meter? a bad one of those could cause a reaction like you are describing. or if you have changed it to a bigger one, it has to be calibrated i believe. maybe someone can jump in here who knows more about it. first things first though, have you only had this problem SINCE you changed the throttle body? if so, something wrong with throttle body possibly?

Last edited by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY; 06-29-2002 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Arrow SLP reply

I did add another 90mm MAF,but I swapped both 90mm MAF's to eliminate it being a MAF problem. Problem started with new T/B. Now I have the same problem back to stock because I don't know stock TPS volt setting.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:21 PM
I don't think the stock at idle TPS voltage is that critical. I mean that as long as you are between .90 and .99 you will be fine. It does not have to be exactly the same when you change TB's.
If your still having a problem with the stock TB then I would say that it is NOT the throttlebody...

Old 06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
if i recall correctly, tps volt setting should be under 1, meaning .90-.99 is right. and at wide open throttle, it should be around 4-5 volts? that sound about right jeffslightning?

Old 06-29-2002, 01:31 PM
My stock TB was 4.5 and the Accufab was 4.6 volts at wide open throttle. I think as lon as it's 4.5 or above your pcm will know the the pedal is to the metal...

Old 06-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Arrow TPS setting

I am measuring/setting voltage like this: Neg lead to gray w/red, pos lead to gray w/yellow. This is the middle(gray w/red) & bottom wires. I have set the stock TPS to under 1 volt & still have the same problem.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Hummmmm...this is how I measured my TPS voltage. I stuck a straight pin down in around the center wire on the electrical plug that goes to the TPS. I try not to pierce the wire itself. I put the black voltage wire lead to the ground side of the battery. I put the red voltage wire lead to the pin that is coming out of the center wire on the tps...

Old 06-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Arrow back to stock

I have now swapped back to the stock T/B and my first 90mm MAF. This is what I had to begin with before I installed anything. Now, I have the same problem with the stock T/B. I have reset the stock TPS to 0.94 volts. I am not sure what has changed. I have also pulled the neg & pos leads to batt. to clear everything. I now have the same condition with everything back to static condition. Does anyone reading this see something that I can't?

Quick Reply: TPS adjust problem