Lightning

Just 'cause its a C5 done mean its the quickest...(boys at SVT, read this)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 09:29 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Just 'cause its a C5 done mean its the quickest...(boys at SVT, read this)

About a week ago we raced a 99 Cobra with work done to it, had Rousch (sp?) exhaust, and it was a Vert. One of my SS buddy's raced him and tore him a new one. I then kindly offered to run him in my Lightning but he declined. But he brought up his cousin's 00 C5 yellow Convertable, and wouldn't shutup about it. Said it had the 'millenium LS6' engine in it, and would tear up the SS.

Well, guess you showed up at the spot. That yellow C5 convertable. I have never seen a more confident person in my life. Just because it cost $15k more than the SS, and my truck it doesnt mean its quicker. All of us rolled up at the same time. 'Y2k SS' (Red 00 M6), TSi2nv (93 talon 12.04@114), that C5, and I. It is very apparent that the Vette wanted to show its dominence over the SS, and the talon and I are discussing who gets the fresh meat first. We both knew that the C5 would be the slowest of the group, its just that he didn't know it.

Well, I decide to ride in the talon....let me put it this way, he said he left the emergency brake on. That was his 1st excuse. So we went around again, and then it changed to him hitting his rev limiter. What he didn't know was it was a stock SS, with goodies. When we were chatting after those two races, he acted like the talon wasn't even there. I tell him I want to run him in my BONE STOCK Lightning, and for him not to be surprized at the outcome whom-ever shows the other the tail lights. He looked at me like I just put down the crack pipe.

We finally line up, the SS driver came along for a ride, and snapped this video (you know it.)

Well, rather than screw with geocities and their funny ways, just go to my site, http://www.geocities.com/tundra_svt/f150.html

THEN, we went from a slight roll, since he couldn't catch up to meet up with me at the next light...

geocities will not let me put up pictures here.

------------------
99 Black Lightning! Kills! kills2! <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lt5c5/main.html" TARGET=_blank>spring01kills </A> last few ???
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, Line-Xed

2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 track straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip

[This message has been edited by Tundra (edited 04-08-2001).]

Old 04-08-2001, 11:09 AM
Rock on Tundra..........i think someone should donate some mods to you.......then you would be totally and entirely KING OF ALASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
red 1994 lightning....oh my god i never expected this thing to keep running this long......130,000 miles and still running strong.........

00 white L...# 1993 build date 4/5/00 Johnny Lightning Enhanced!!! Straight pipe exhaust, billet third brakelight cover, water wetter, mobil 1 later it may get NOSty........oh sorry cuz...that is your license plate....oops.....

Old 04-08-2001, 09:26 PM
Which vid is it? There are so many

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 04-09-2001, 12:00 AM
It's gonna take a few mods and some sticky tires for a C5 to match the Lightning in stop light racing. Like I've said before, from a roll it should be no contest. I'm just speaking of my own experience.... Nice kill though! It's those few C5 drivers that think they are the fastest cars on the road that give guys like me a bad rep. Most C5 drivers do not know(or will not admit) that the F-bodies with the LS1s are running identical times at the track and can be modded for far less money to go alot faster..... Some C5 owners aren't even aware of what a Lightning is.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:07 AM
Gotta' hand it to ya for doing all this with a stock Lightning; can you imagine what your legend would be like with the full boatload of mods. Yes, Lord and Supreme Ruler of the Tundra!

Old 04-09-2001, 12:07 AM
Cool vid's! That must have been the talon behind you that passed the vette and was gaining on you, in the "stopped" video.

------------------
01 Silver Lightning-no mods yet!
00 S281 Speedster - 312 rwhp 383 rwtq
98 GSXR-750 - 123rwhp

Old 04-09-2001, 10:11 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
red gen 1 94,
How about them straight pipes? Gotta love the sound! I'll be putting mine back on this week, AFTER I tell the fellows at the dealership they had their chance to swap my intercooler (all winter long). You are one of the few people to actually try that mod out. I love the sound, and cannot wait until I get mine back on.

Yellow00,
Yeah, the run flats are definatly the weak points. That makes me not want to get one down the road. I think I will be going mid 60s and for autocross. You and I know whats up. We know that we are not unbeatable. If you win every race, then there is something wrong. No one beleives me, but I pretty much post every single race I get. Win or Lose. The C5 wanted to run again, but it was snowing/raining, and it didnt turn out good. The talon lined up with us, and I am not joking when I say he was only in the video when the light was red. Maybeo for 2 frames when we launched. He wants to race again this weekend, the C5 that is. He asked my red camaro SS friends for driving pointers (lessons). Did you see the race from a roll? Thats what surprized me. I race the red SS on my site a couple of times, and he pretty much walks away from a roll. I don't know if he slips the clutch or what, but he can make it go. (I since then took down the vids to make room, [sarcasm]ahh, shucks[/sarcasm] , for other vids.

Badbolt,
Legend? I'm just a kid with a Lightning and a camera. Everyone knows it was only a matter of time before someone started taking a camera with them on their hunts. I have come across about 5 people that say they started taping their races because of me, up here, and Spike Engineering, but he's taking it a few levels above and beyond me (more like several). Whats cool is that my camera looks like a still photo camera instead of a video camera.

I didn't see anyone do it, its just that no one would beleive me otherwise. You guys would beleive my kills, but the LS1 guys wouldn't. Try telling some chick about racing Vipers, in a truck, there are only a couple up here. That camera is on my hip like guns are to some people up here (no kidding). My own mother did not beleive me until I satarted showing her vids. Her favorite was the Trans Am, but she's now happy with the truck. Her boyfriend still has a hard time beleiving the last C5 vids. There's no way a stock truck can do that to a vette in his book.

The Red Camaro SS guys think I must have gotten a factory freak or something, but without another Lighting to compare against, I beg to see otherwise. As far as I know, I am the only Lightning they have come across that actually ran.

DennisG,
Yes, that was the talon behind me. Its a sick sumb**** isn't it? Just glad we know eachother. I have to get my end of the game plan down, I have to say "mind if he tries to keep up" instead of "He's kinda quick, bolt ons" that thing is the fastest import in the state of Alaska. No joke. Just glad I am acquanted with him. If you want to see how large-a-hole he tore the C5, check out this... http://www.geocities.com/akstreetrace/TSI00C5m.mov out. I just posted the kill story at the corvette forums just to see what I can get out of them. They have no idea I taped the race. Just waiting fo rsomeone to call BS. No offense yellow00, gotta talk *h** where I can.

2000 F150 4x4,
Yeah, there are a lot, I have to delete the links that I took down. Most of those races were from September through November 17th. I didn't have the camera until the end of August, and I forgot it at home the first weekend, when I took out a C5 to 100, a 99 Z28, a 98 SS, and an 00 SS. Wild. Love that scanner.

To all those that do not condone street racing, well, the track opens on May 13th, and thats where I plan on getting most of my action. 80-90% of these vidoes are taped at the same light, which is the last light of a 3 lane eachway, seperated by ditch at the beginning of a 65 mph limit highway. My mother doesnt like it, she's just happy I didnt' turn out like her brothers. Everyone of them had a 'histtory' by the age 18. And I dont have any kids. If you know what I mean...

Tomorrow, I should be uploading a Syclone I came across. That should add more fuel to the fire for that debate...

thanks to all for helping me cross that 10k hit mark since September. Thats almost more than the 1/4 mile track had since November of 99! I have about 1.6 gigs of races on my HD. The red Camaro SS guy has a dedicated server coming on line...We shall see. I really do not like editing the videos, but you get what you pay for...

------------------
99 Black Lightning! Kills! kills2! <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/lt5c5/main.html" TARGET=_blank>spring01kills </A> last few ???
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, Line-Xed

2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 track straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip

[This message has been edited by Tundra (edited 04-09-2001).]

Old 04-09-2001, 10:41 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tundra:
Yellow00,
Yeah, the run flats are definatly the weak points. That makes me not want to get one down the road. I think I will be going mid 60s and for autocross. You and I know whats up. We know that we are not unbeatable. If you win every race, then there is something wrong. No one beleives me, but I pretty much post every single race I get. Win or Lose. The C5 wanted to run again, but it was snowing/raining, and it didnt turn out good. The talon lined up with us, and I am not joking when I say he was only in the video when the light was red. Maybeo for 2 frames when we launched. He wants to race again this weekend, the C5 that is. He asked my red camaro SS friends for driving pointers (lessons). Did you see the race from a roll? Thats what surprized me. I race the red SS on my site a couple of times, and he pretty much walks away from a roll. I don't know if he slips the clutch or what, but he can make it go. (I since then took down the vids to make room, [sarcasm]ahh, shucks[/sarcasm] , for other vids.
</font>
Actually, the roll surprises the crap outta me. My best 1/4 time is a 13.375. You might recall when I posted about looking for the 2 White Lightnings that were in Bowling Green. On that day the best run I could was a 13.6 and I even ran a pair of 14s!!! What I have learned is the run flats get even crappier when the weather is cold. It makes them that much harder. No flex or bite whatsoever. Anyways, the 2 Lightnings that were running high 12s happened to be on the interstate on the way home. If we would've lined up at the track, obviously I would've lost. We ran from a roll and I pulled them hard both times. I'm not sure when they gave up, but by 100 they were several cars back and fading fast. The only performance mod I have is a K&N, and we all know that's good for about 100hp Of course my Wet Okole seat covers may be good for about 10 more.... ...... Keep those kill stories coming! I've been in Nashville for about 2 years now and the only good street races I've gotten has been the Lightnings.... ...... Maybe I'll move to Fairbanks and we could meet half way? Of course I would definitely be changing tires then....

Old 04-09-2001, 06:05 PM
i think the movie tundra is talking about is here:

http://www.geocities.com/akstreetrace/LyelC5.mov

tundra, whats the car coming up behind you in that race? looks like it is gaining hard.

here is the 2nd race vs the c5 from a roll

http://www.geocities.com/akstreetrace/Lyelc5roll.MOV

Old 04-09-2001, 06:50 PM
Talking

Just make sure you not racing one of those Twin-turbo Lingenfelter Corvettes. I heard theres only a few out there but theres no true way in telling the difference. Car and Drive tested it and said that it was the fastest car they have ever test drove.

Old 04-09-2001, 07:24 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LoCo F150:
Just make sure you not racing one of those Twin-turbo Lingenfelter Corvettes. I heard theres only a few out there but theres no true way in telling the difference. Car and Drive tested it and said that it was the fastest car they have ever test drove.</font>
The last I heard was that there are only 16 so far. 8 of those are running around without the decals. The cost of the mod is $40K. Pretty damn pricey for a set of turbos. I doubt I, along with everyone else here, will ever see one driving on the road...

Old 04-09-2001, 08:02 PM
From what I've seen on the LS1 board, 2 of them are in Austin.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MACD23:

tundra, whats the car coming up behind you in that race? looks like it is gaining hard.

</font>
That's the car I was asking about. It's the Talon.

BTW....Tundra, you sure ruffled up some feathers over at the corvette forum. They were quick to call B.S.

------------------
01 Silver Lightning-no mods yet!
00 S281 Speedster - 312 rwhp 383 rwtq
98 GSXR-750 - 123rwhp

[This message has been edited by DennisG (edited 04-10-2001).]

Old 04-10-2001, 09:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DennisG:

BTW....Tundra, you sure ruffled up some feathers over at the corvette forum. They were quick to call B.S.

</font>
Yeah, I believe it's how he worded the story. ...... Videos, however, do not lie. Speaking of the video, does anyone have the correct link? It's still coming up as unavailable.....

Hey Tundra, maybe next time you race that C5(if the guy even will) you should offer to drive his car and let him drive your truck. Whosever car loses the race is the winner. That would quickly dispell the "bad driver" theory. Make sure you shift at 6K RPM, as that's when I shifted when I raced the Ls from a roll. I'm still thinking how you would post that if you were to win while driving the C5. Would it be, "Killed my own Lighting", "Killed a Vette Owner with his own ride" or......?? Then again, he might get pissed and think you're insulting him, but at least he'd know for sure if something is wrong with his car...... The bottom-line is still: He got beat and he will get beat again, just like everybody else who street races......

Old 04-10-2001, 09:28 AM
Probably "Dellionaries" in their mid-20's early 30's. Too many t-sips in Austin.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DUCK01:
From what I've seen on the LS1 board, 2 of them are in Austin.</font>

------------------
Scott Weatherford
351W 1993 LX 11.9 @ 118MPH (Drag Radials)
Black 2001 Lightning 13.62 @ ??? MPH

WWW.TheVL.COM/VENOM

Quick Reply: Just 'cause its a C5 done mean its the quickest...(boys at SVT, read this)