Lightning

2750 Intercooler assemblies 3-15

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Bank of diddly squat sire...if they replace it with the same krap you have now...whats the point...LOL Bizarre analogy...eh?

[This message has been edited by MadMaxSC (edited 02-16-2001).]

Old 03-15-2001, 02:32 PM
Unhappy

One week ago, The SVT Hot Line guy said " get the leaking one fixed now and we will take care of getting the NEW intercooler installed later. We will back you 110%" took it in to the dealer on Friday, he had me come in on Monday for my #0k check up etc. He replaced the fog lights and said the intercooler was leaking. So the dealer ordered the intercooler on "Emergency Replacement" last Monday, this is Thursday.

------------------
Red 99

Old 03-15-2001, 03:55 PM
After reading that I called the hotline to argue with them on it and they tell me there are "very few" lightnings with leaking intercoolers. When asked what percentage were leaking I was told "I dont know but its definately not very many". When I asked if they were going to do a recall I was told "definately not". So there you go. Have fun with those junk intercoolers.

Sam

Old 03-15-2001, 05:01 PM
I stopped by the largest of only 2 SVT dealers in my area yesterday on my lunch hour. Since I know I've got the leak coming, I thought I better check out the service departments of both to see who I like better.

Well, I go in and ask the service manager how many I/C's thev've replaced and he just looked at me like he had no clue what I was saying. After he understood me, he said, "None. Why, is there a problem with them?" So there ya go. We're all alone. We make up the entire 1% somehow.

All this after a fellow L owner stopped in my driveway last weekend with a nice, red '00, only to lift his hood and where I pointed out his bone dry I/C tank at 14k miles. He reads the board too. So, it must just be board people that get this ailment.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
JDM street program
JDM 2# blower pulley (ordered)
J.L. Stage II ram-air
FRPP Oval throttle body (ordered)
90mm MAF
MagnaFlow Exhaust

Old 03-15-2001, 05:37 PM
I new I should have never logged in here. Now I'm jinxed and will be getting the leak. Damn!

Old 03-15-2001, 05:41 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
You can sign up for door cracks over at the General Discussion forum.

------------------
99 Black Lightning!
factory tonneau cover, 100k mile warrantee, Line-Xed
F150online.com R hp sticker mod in the mail. Where's it at?
2.145 60' 8.789@82.71 (1/8) 13.603@101.05 1/4 same run
straight pipes, 'Major' rear lights, no chip
Kills! More kills!

Old 03-15-2001, 06:28 PM
KGM
Hope mine doesn't leak, got some expensive water in there.

Old 03-15-2001, 06:34 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2000Trade-In:
I new I should have never logged in here. Now I'm jinxed and will be getting the leak. Damn!</font>
LOL! You're screwed now!! Well, hopefully not. No, you're screwed - eventually.

------------------
Jim
Black '00
#1,757 built 3/30/00
Clear corners
JDM street program
JDM 2# blower pulley (ordered)
J.L. Stage II ram-air
FRPP Oval throttle body (ordered)
90mm MAF
MagnaFlow Exhaust

Old 03-15-2001, 07:07 PM
FENDER HEAD, Glad to hear your getting a fix. I have 15,000 miles on my 99 and have noticed about a quarter inch loss in my I/C reservoir. This evening when I pulled into the driveway, I shut the engine off and thought I heard some boiling under the hood. Strange things going on. Did you go to Kimnach? I was fearing having to fight the dealer on the leak. E-mail me when you get the chance. qcaptq@aol.com

Old 03-15-2001, 07:43 PM
Unhappy

What worried me the most was : the service manager called me at work and had a service writer with him and they said : Why do you think you have coolant in the motor? If you had an intercooler , there would only be air in there and you don't have an intercooler cause you don't have a Diesel motr. I told him : WE have a problem here. Tonight the lady called to check up on my level of satisfaction with my service and i told her I was still waiting for parts. She said she would escalate it and quit asking questions.
This is like going to the Dr. and have him look for your heart on the wrong side.

------------------
Red 99

Old 03-15-2001, 09:31 PM
My intercooler leaked for who knows how long but it was half empty in the resevior. I filled it back up and have not noticed any gone since then. Anyhow, I took the truck in Monday and they called the "hotline" and talked to Wayne. Ole Wayne said this was a problem and told them to do whatever.
Basically, I am getting a new intercooler installed. Well low and behold, they call me today from the dealership and said the parts are in...in less than 4 days????

Well, I will see what Monday brings.

Eric

Old 03-15-2001, 10:33 PM
I took mine in for the intercooler leak after 17000 miles. The dealership gave me that dumbfounded look like I was the only one with a Lightning that had this problem. I then told them to call the SVT hotline and everything was staightened out, I'm due a new intercoolerr any day now, I also will be getting a new supercharger the screw lobes inside the supercharger are nicked up, I don't know how but I will never put a smaller pully on this Bolt. That was the first thing the dealership looked for, the Supercharger is rate at 14000 rpm's and anything above that can cause a wobble condition causing the lobes to hit with each other or the outside wall. If stock the Lightning is around 12750 rpm so we don't have much room to play. Eric you might want to check out the supercharger screw lobes carefully.

Terry

------------------
99.5 Factory Red Clearcoat, Chromed SVT rims, Polished Billet Grills, F1 Cobra Hood, Color matched Lo-pro snuglid, clear corner lenses & tailights, superchipped, sal air filter, Bel-tech 3/4 lowering kit, okole seat covers (red), rhino liner, color matched muth mirrors, 25 piece REd carbon fiber dashboard kit, JBA headers and V1 radar detector.
BTW-Some secret stuff...
Completed on 4/21/00.
Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 03-15-2001).]

Old 03-15-2001, 10:51 PM
Angry

Gentlemen, I last spoke with SVT about five months ago. At that time the person who answered the phone also stated "only 1 percent of the Lightnings have leaking intercoolers". That was five months ago. It sure seems apparent that the people in that office are being coached regarding what to tell people when hit with questions about intercooler issues.
There are only 9,000 Lightnings on the road. My fear is that this number is totally insignificant to Ford. In Ford's opinion, 9,000 vehicles of ANY type probably doesn't even begin to warrant talks of a recall. I imagine they are perfectly content replacing these units one at a time. In one to five years warranties will begin to run out on our vehicles, depending on what each of us purchased. Then Ford is off the hook for repairs.
When I spoke with SVT they made the incredulous claim that we will be covered for intercooler repairs even after the warranty runs out. I don't have that in writing. And I don't think anybody else does either. I can already picture the reaction of my service writer when I try to tell him that some clone on the phone at SVT's public relations office told me that Ford would stand behind their product even though my warranty ran out the prior month. Independent dealerships and SVT's public relations office are two different worlds. I think we might be screwed. I'd sell mine if I weren't upside down on my loan. This sucks and I don't see it getting any better. I think we might see a 100 percent failure rate on these coolers. Everybody I know whose truck is in the mileage range has suffered a leak. I even know of one owner here in San Diego who managed to get his dealership to buy his 2000 back. He already has his 2001 from the same dealership. Sorry for the rant but I want my truck fixed because this sucks.

------------------
Silver 2000 Built 5/26/00
#3299 of 4966
Bone Stock
SnugTop Tonneau Cover

Old 03-15-2001, 11:29 PM
Cool

I'm sure their numbers are correct. There's no way possible that more than 1% of ALL F-series have intercooler leaks. Seems I read they made about 875,000 last year. Guess the Powerstroke guys must be having problems too.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
Sound effects provided by Flowmaster,
375 RWHP,
445 RWTQ,
12.974@104.818
Track Videos

Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 AM
KGM
Man I just don't get it. Is this truck the first vehicle some of you have ever owned or what. Tell me you have never had a recall notice before, never paid a service writer a visit before, never ever had a problem with your car/truck. They made a bad part, get it, a bad part. When it leaks go get it changed, hopefully for the new and improved model. Some of you act like the worlds coming to a end because of one little **** ant leak. Get real! I got to go run out and sell my truck because my IC might leak a year from now. This is getting so old. I sure am glad we live in such a perfect world where nothing ever breaks. Yes Ford does have a bad part, should they recall them, maybe, should we hang them from a cross for selling us a Lightning, NO!

Quick Reply: 2750 Intercooler assemblies 3-15