Lightning

NGK Bad Plugs **Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK Bad Plugs **Pics**

This is what happens when your engine runs excessivly hot. I figured out why my engine was bogging down so. It was 2 bad plugs and a bad vacum line.

Here are the pics

I am now using champion plugs, its what my tuner uses in all of his vehicles, they are 3 ranges colder and prefers them over ngk and denso's. I will have the L dyno pulled tomorrow. They are spaced at .038

-Bill

Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Looks like a very lean condition as well as detonation problem.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 PM
that's what happens when you run a 6# lower with full exhaust on a stock tune.

I was at the track with Buzzy and he was switching programs from the street to the race program and accidentally uploaded the stock tune.

Change the plugs, and recheck them after a few hundred miles. If you take a pic of them and post it we can give you a better idea of what exactly is going on inside there.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by buzzyinmich

I am now using champion plugs, its what my tuner uses in all of his vehicles, they are 3 ranges colder and prefers them over ngk and denso's. I will have the L dyno pulled tomorrow. They are spaced at .038

-Bill
That is a mistake. Champions melt easier than any plug I tested. Do a search on the net about seized plugs. There is a ton on stuff about mechanics refusing to use them in aluminum heads because the metal quality makes them seize easily in the threads.

I stumbled on this info when searching for the best way to remove a seized plug which by the way is PB B'laster. Sprayed it in the plug hole and 10 minutes later it snapped loose.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Thumbs down

I, myself refuse to use Champion plugs unless its on a lawnmower or an old cast-iron head. I'm an autolite guy through and through, but Autolite doesn't seem to be the best thing for lightnings, so I'm probaly going to use Denso Irridiums which is what JLP recommended. I'm open minded and flexible, but have heard a lot of negative things about Champions. Thumbs DOWN on Champions

Old 11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't forget to do a compression check and a bore scope! You always have to wonder what happen to the part that burned off.
Mine did that and the piece that burned off got caught between the piston and the cylinder wall and toasted my block.

God Bless,

Suavy

Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Man, put some NGK's back in it. It's not the plugs fault that you burnt it up. I'm running NGK TR6's gapped 32 in my truck, 685 RWHP at 17psi, 15deg of timing on pump gas. The NGKs are inexpensive, and a very proven plug.

Gap yours about 36 with tha 6lb, and don't get it that hot again.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by bwkelley76
I, myself refuse to use Champion plugs unless its on a lawnmower or an old cast-iron head. I'm an autolite guy through and through, but Autolite doesn't seem to be the best thing for lightnings, so I'm probaly going to use Denso Irridiums which is what JLP recommended. I'm open minded and flexible, but have heard a lot of negative things about Champions. Thumbs DOWN on Champions
i just installed some Autolight AR94s and she purs like a kitten. those are the backcut racing plugs, 2 levels colder. i'll be doing some racing, dyno tune (4 new custom tunes), and towing in the next couple weeks so i'll give them a real test but so far so good.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Slick_Sammy
i just installed some Autolight AR94s and she purs like a kitten. those are the backcut racing plugs, 2 levels colder. i'll be doing some racing, dyno tune (4 new custom tunes), and towing in the next couple weeks so i'll give them a real test but so far so good.
let us all know how it goes Sammy. Im curious how the Autolites work.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 AM
ngk tr6's here @ .032 on a KB truck making 665 at the wheels and i have a 75 shot i spray on top of that have had no problems with them.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I will have to talk to my tuner when I see him tomorrow, he was the one who recommended the champs to me, is why I threw them in there!

I appreciate the advice!

-Bill

Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Autolight Good / Champion Bad, but I still recomend using anti-size on any alum. block. I have not had any real problems with plug sticking beacuse I use anti-seeze but I have had problems with Champion Plugs cracking, and getting to hot to easy. Never had a problem with Autolight Plugs.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Suspended
if your tuner did the tune that caused that, I might find a different tuner... And yeah, champion's suck.... I am using NGK TR-6's with a lot more boost and power than yours...

Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzyinmich
Thanks for the heads up, I will have to talk to my tuner
when I see him tomorrow, he was the one who recommended the champs to
me, is why I threw them in there!
I appreciate the advice!
-Bill
If that happened on a street tune, you need to change tuners !!!

Quick Reply: NGK Bad Plugs **Pics**