Lightning

Owners of 1999-2004 Cruise control switch recall [merged] Pictures inside

Old 02-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't bothered to go out into the garage to verify this on my truck with a voltmeter or test light, but according to the wiring diagrams, (and despite what folks keep posting here) the circuit in question IS indeed fused, and not just once but TWICE. First with a 50A fuse in the main power distribution box, and then again with a 20A fuse in the central junction box.

apparently, the problem is with the SWITCH itself, not the lack of a fuse or flaw in the design of the circuit.

the recall will apparently be a simple replacement of the switch in question.

FROM FORD:
REASON FOR THIS RECALL

The speed control deactivation switch may, under certain conditions, overheat, smoke, or burn.

SERVICE ACTION

Parts for the permanent repair will not be available until approximately April 2005. Until parts are available, the interim repair described below should be used to disable the speed control system and eliminate the possibility of overheating, smoke and fire. When parts become available, the permanent repair (replacement of the switch) must be completed to close this recall.
here's a shot of part of the wiring diagram:

(edit: in case you can't read the description of operation in the image above)

Additional speed control deactivation device should brake switch fail. Depressing brake pedal with additional pressure creating 125PSI in brake line, causes brake pressure switch to open, thereby removing voltage and current from electric clutch within speed control servo
the irony here is that this switch is actually a REDUNDANT switch designed as a safety backup so that your cruise control doesn't stick in the "SET" position and cause your vehicle to continue at it's set speed after you've tapped the brake pedal to turn it off.

so instead of crashing into the back of someone, it just causes your house to burn down!

affected vehicle info:
SUBJECT: Safety Recall 05S28:
Certain 2000 Model Year F-150, Expedition, Navigator, and 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Vehicles Equipped With Speed Control
Speed Control Deactivation Switch Replacement

AFFECTED VEHICLES:
Cuautitlan Assembly Plant
2000 F-150
Built from February 3, 2000 through August 26, 2000

Kansas City Assembly Plant
2000 F-150
Built from April 27, 1999 through August 7, 2000

Norfolk Assembly Plant
2000 F-150
Built from April 20, 1999 through August 5, 2000

Ontario Assembly Plant
2000 F-150
Built from May 3, 1999 through October 17, 2000

Kansas City Assembly Plant
2001 F-150
SuperCrew
Built from September 11, 1999 through August 7, 2000

Michigan Truck Plant
2000 Expedition
2000 Navigator
Built from March 30, 1999 through August 7, 2000

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. This information will be available on January 27, 2005.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 02-05-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:50 AM
My question is why such a narrow band of affected vehicles and limited months of production?

Did they find out about the problem, changed the design and then hoped it would go undetected? Because that's what it appears like.

TB

Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
well i wonder how long the recall will last
you think they will still replace it after a year or so, cause right now i dont have a motor in my truck to take it to the dealer
well at least it wont burn to the ground

Old 02-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again, I ask why aren't 97 and 98's affected by this...thanks!

Old 02-12-2005, 11:20 PM
My 1999 is not under the recall according to VIN # however Ford did replace this switch under warranty so they are calling me when the new parts come in. Anyone else here have this switch replaced and not fall under the actual recall date time line?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by TrackBeast
My question is why such a narrow band of affected vehicles and limited months of production?

Did they find out about the problem, changed the design and then hoped it would go undetected? Because that's what it appears like.

TB
If that were the case, I would think FORD would have the switches on hand waiting for the news to break ! BTW Mine does'nt appear on the list 02L first 1/4 year build.

Last edited by SMOKINTRUCK#1; 02-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Got my OFFICIAL NOTICE in the mail today.....I WIN! another free trip to the Ford dealer....Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 02-15-2005, 11:05 AM
FWIW, I saw this on the Ford website today:

FSA Safety Recall 05S28: Owners Should NOT Disconnect the Switch Themselves

If customers request instructions on how to disconnect the switch themselves on certain 2000 Model Year F-150, Expedition, Navigator, and 2001 F-150 SuperCrew Vehicles Equipped With Speed Control (FSA Safety Recall 05S28), inform them that the disconnection must be completed at the dealership by qualified dealership employees.
liability issues I suppose?

later,
chris

Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So let the dealer disconnect it. When I eventually get my notice I will remove the tape on the connector and plug it back in. Drive to the dealer and let then disconnect it and tape it back up again. If the customer does it himself he might not tape it up properly and allow water to intrude into the connector and corrode it. Ford would then have to replace the connector at their expense. It would turn into a PR problem. HELLO FORD! WHAT IF MY TRUCK BURNS DOWN MY HOUSE WHILE WAITING FOR YOU TO GET OFF YOUR F’ING DUFF AND SEND ME THE RECALL NOTICE????

JMC

Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by JMC
So let the dealer disconnect it. When I eventually get my notice I will remove the tape on the connector and plug it back in. Drive to the dealer and let then disconnect it and tape it back up again. If the customer does it himself he might not tape it up properly and allow water to intrude into the connector and corrode it. Ford would then have to replace the connector at their expense. It would turn into a PR problem. HELLO FORD! WHAT IF MY TRUCK BURNS DOWN MY HOUSE WHILE WAITING FOR YOU TO GET OFF YOUR F’ING DUFF AND SEND ME THE RECALL NOTICE????

JMC
I am sure this is a legimitate recall but it's obviously an extremely isolated incident pumped up by the media. I don't think there has been one lightning victim of auto combustion. If you're really that worried, just park it outside and keep a bag of marshmallows in your fridge.
TB

Old 02-16-2005, 05:41 AM
now wouldn't that taste good melting rubber and blastic and fliuids all going in the marshmallows mmmmmmmmmmm hum hum

Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by JMC
HELLO FORD! WHAT IF MY TRUCK BURNS DOWN MY HOUSE WHILE WAITING FOR YOU TO GET OFF YOUR F’ING DUFF AND SEND ME THE RECALL NOTICE????

JMC
I didn't get the notice... i just went down to my local dealer and they took care of checking if i was effected and then disconnected and taped up my plug... no need to wait for the notice

Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Ford knows about the fires in other year models. Their response so far is that they are "still investigating but have yet to reach a conclusion".

NHTSA is documenting all the fires in year models outside the recalled models, it's a pretty good bet the recall will eventually get expanded.

NHTSA fire complaints go all the way back to early 90's models. They state, "The problem is that the short that develops on the CCDS is very high resistance and may not allow enough current flow to pop the fuse. In some cases it does in others it does not."

Ford used a 15 amp fuse in the #13 slot and it really should only be a max. 5 amp according to Texas Instruments, the manufacturer of the problem CCDS.

If you are outside the recall year models, disconnect the cruise control deactivation switch yourself.

From the time the switch ignites until the vehicle EXPLODES is 3 to 5 minutes, so there is not much of a window to work with in trying to save anything from this type of fire unless you are onhand when it starts.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
WDB
My 2001 lightning is not on the recall list.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
hmmmmmmmm

i wonder if that was my isue, but my insurance co said it was my Hid kit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by GMNightmare; 03-10-2005 at 06:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners of 1999-2004 Cruise control switch recall [merged] Pictures inside