Lightning

SRT 10 can out tow a Lightning??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SRT 10 can out tow a Lightning??

I got my current copy of Mopar Collector's Guide in the mail yesterday (I have a 67 440 GTX too) and it had a story about the SRT-10 breaking the Lightnings top speed record for factory trucks (gee - how long ago did this happen???). In it they stated, "The SVT F-150, unlike the SRT-10, is pretty much useliess as a truck as it's a stripped down lightweight with a big *** motor. It's designed to go fast but can't haul a load of plywood home from the building supply center. The SRT-10, on the other hand weights in at a hefty 5,100 pounds and can indeed haul the goods in addition to hauling ***."

Now I like my Mopars but from everything I've heard, the SRT-10 isn't rated to tow anything, while the Lightning has a 5000 lb tow rating. If someone can get me a manufacturer's reference on the lack of a tow rating by Dodge on the SRT-10, I'll try to set these guys right. I need the facts though before I go shooting my mouth off - otherwise I'll probably get flamed for being uninformed.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:13 PM
I think they got that backwards. From my understanding the SRT-10 doesn't come with any trailer towing provision, and I've even heard of dealers stating they will void the warranty of the truck if you tow with it. It does NOT have a 5k lb tow rating.

The '03-04 Lightning, on the other hand, has a 6650lb payload/towing capacity. I towed 4500-5500lbs with my '99 L without ANY issues.

I'd say the Lightning is THE definition of "Sport Utility".

Old 12-29-2004, 07:16 PM
what srt-10 did they have on the book the reg cab or the quad cab? the reg cab cant tow anything if anybody puts a hitch on it it voids the warrenty. the quad cab srt-10 comes with the tow package and a auto trans. the reason i know this is because i work at chrysler. in not saying they are better.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Re: SRT 10 can out tow a Lightning??

Originally posted by SVTARKANSAS
I "The SVT F-150, unlike the SRT-10, is pretty much useliess as a truck as it's a stripped down lightweight with a big *** motor. It's designed to go fast but can't haul a load of plywood home from the building supply center. The SRT-10, on the other hand weights in at a hefty 5,100 pounds and can indeed haul the goods in addition to hauling ***."

4700+ lbs is stripped down compared to 5100lbs,even concidering the size difference? Those guys are morons....

Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 PM
the new quadcab with the auto tranny can tow within warrenty specs, otherwise:

Background on towing terminology can be found at http://www.rvtimes.com/arch/RVT69HTML/69towing.html
or
http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/basic...conditions.html

2003 Ram Truck 1500 Laramie, Regular Cab, 4x2, Short Bed, Automatic 5-Speed w/20 inch Tires, 5.7L V8 engine:

With 3.92 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 8050 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 6350 lbs
Payload (GVWR-Curb Weight) = 1570 lbs
Curb Weight = 4777 lbs
Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2672 / 2105 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 3650 / 3900 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 13000 lbs

The base 4x2 SLT 120" wheelbase Ram Truck has a GVW rating of 6350lbs. The Standard 20" Tires on the base truck are P275/55R20 BSW Goodyear Eagle LS Tires
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...+S&sidewall=VSB

These tires have a max load rating of 2403lbs with a speed rating of 'S', which is 112mph.

Let's for a moment assume that we collectively know nothing about this vehicle other than what is available in the media and that we throw out all rumors and assumptions...

Listed below are some speculative reasons the SRT-10 might be tow-limited based on some brainstorming that I did:

Powertrain Changes that could affect tow rating:
The engine is basically the 2003 Viper engine with some relatively minor modifications.

"The only difference between the Ram SRT-10 engine and the V10 under the hood of the Viper in your garage is the air intake (airbox), exhaust system, engine and transmission mounts, oil pan, and the cooling system borrowed from the Cummins-powered Rams." (January '04 Truckin pg 40)

I'd guess that the power output is very close to that of the Viper, which should definitely not be a limiting factor for towing. 500HP and 525lb-ft of torque with the broad banded curves should go a long way...

Suspension Changes that could limit tow capability:
from http://www.daimlerchrysler.de/media...rt10_2004CY.pdf

"Working with the fully hydroformed Dodge Ram frame, one of the stiffest in the industry, PVO added a custom-tuned suspension, dropping the Ram SRT-10 an inch in the front and 2.5 inches in the rear. New front and rear strut assemblies and a rear sway bar were added to handle the increased cornering loads."

The rear of the vehicle was lowered primarily by placing the axle tubes over the spring packs along with what looked like new snubbers mounted to the frame (see the pic at the top of page 42 in the Jan '04 issue of Truckin Magazine) The rear leaf springs are also 53% stiffer than the base 1500 Ram (according to the text on page 24 of the Jan/Feb Truck Trend article on the SRT-10) Soo, although riding at a lowered ride height might be a contributing factor to the vehicle's limited mfgr. tow rating, I don't think that it is the biggest one.

Another thing to consider is the dynamic tuning on the vehicle which includes things like sway bar rates, spring rates, shock absorber valving, bushing rates, and how they all interact as a whole 'package'. Most of the articles I've read about the SRT-10 mention that it feels more like a sports car than a truck. PVO has said from the beginning that this was it's intention... although I wouldn't buy a truck that couldn't be used as a truck.

Tire Information that could affect tow rating:
A good explanation of tire load ratings can be found at
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...neral/speed.htm
or
http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class/size_nav2.htm

According to Pirelli's Website, the tire offered on the SRT10 is a 305/40 ZR22TL 114WM+S(e) which means that its a 'reinforced' tire that has a load index of 114, which is a loading capability of 2601lbs per tire and a W speed capability of up to 168mph at a maximum pressure of 41psi. Like most vehicles, I'd be willing to bet that the SRT-10 tires are recommended to be set at around 8-12% less than max placard pressure rating for the tire, which would be between 36 and 38psi for optimum performance without sacrificing ride & handling and would mean that the load rating would probably decrease a bit here as well. Additionally it is important to note that the load rating of the tire also varies on temperature and speed... so take all these numbers with a grain of salt.

Now, knowing that weight distribution of the SRT-10 is 56% Front / 44% Rear with a curb weight of 5080lbs (as tested in Jan 04 Automobile Magazine page 58) that means that the SRT-10 Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2844 / 2236 lbs (compared to the base truck's Curb Weight Front/Rear = 2672 / 2105 lbs). Since the tire load ratings are comparable and both trucks share similar suspension components (SRT10 is supposed to have a beefier axle and brakes) one could speculate that the suspension and tires aren't the limiting factor here.

The point is that the tires should be able to handle the load of *some* towing at highway (not 150 mph) speeds especially since the base Ram 1500 has less of a load rating on its tires and has a GVW of 6350lbs and can tow about 8000lbs.

Drivetrain Changes that could affect tow rating:
Info / articles of interest on the Tremec T56 Box:
http://www.tremec.com.mx/catalogo/T-56/servicet56.pdf
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/vipert56.html
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...s/148_0305_t56/
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/aut...lightning2.html

The Viper Transmission (Tremec T56) has proven to be very durable over the years. I believe they even had little to no problems with the same basic design during the Viper GTSR racing days. I also doubt the driveshaft would be an issue for towing. The Dana 60 Axles are historically bulletproof. What does this leave?

In my opinion, the clutch would be the so called 'fuse' in the system if you attempted to tow with this vehicle. We all have probably seen some toolbag smoke his or her clutch trying to aggressively launch a vehicle. Now imagine launching a vehicle that weighs 5000+lbs, has 22" wheels and grippy 10" wide tires and inadvertantly slipping the clutch a tad with 425+ lb-ft of torque available just above idle... Now add a trailer to the equation and you have a potential warranty item based solely on the driving habits of the owner, which we all know the manufacturer can't control.

A clutch's life is greatly affected by a number of factors. If you ride the clutch, drive or constantly accelerate quickly, or leave the clutch partially depressed for a long time when taking off (more likely when towing), the clutch will wear out faster. Also driving in a hilly area (again worse with a trailer) or in stop and go traffic the clutch will also wear faster. The clutch can also fail prematurely if the transmission input shaft leaks oil onto the clutch disc caused by repeated heating or overheating. A second clutch's life will likely be shorter than the first if the pressure plate is not replaced or the flywheel is not machined properly... and then the vicious warranty cycle begins.

I'd bet that this is the primary reason PVO has a no-tow rating on all their SRT products along with the 3/36 warranty.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:42 PM
They were referencing the Truck that set the speed record which is an early SRT-10 standard cab model. If the quad cab is tow rated that may be one thing - but from what I've heard it doesn't weigh 5100 lbs and it isn't faster than a Lightning. I thought the 03 Lightning was rated to tow 5000 lbs - is it 6650 lbs?? It looks like Ringmaster1 may be my reference on this unless someone else has some additional factory data.

Thanks.

Whoa - MRBBQMan weighed in big time. I'll have to absorb all of this.

Last edited by SVTARKANSAS; 12-29-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
here is a better one from dodge

http://www.dodge.com/srt-10/index.html

Old 12-29-2004, 07:56 PM
the clutch doesn't stand up to normal driving, imagine hooking 5000# to the back of it.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:58 PM
from DODGE.COM

SRT-10 / Regular Cab

Towing Capacity - Maximum (Properly Equipped) [lb] Not Applicable

there you have it. Dodge's own website says it doesn't tow

Old 12-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SVTARKANSAS
They were referencing the Truck that set the speed record which is an early SRT-10 standard cab model. If the quad cab is tow rated that may be one thing - but from what I've heard it doesn't weigh 5100 lbs and it isn't faster than a Lightning. I thought the 03 Lightning was rated to tow 5000 lbs - is it 6650 lbs?? It looks like Ringmaster1 may be my reference on this unless someone else has some additional factory data.

Thanks.

Whoa - MRBBQMan weighed in big time. I'll have to absorb all of this.
I'm sorry... I mistyped. The GVWR (towing/payload capacity combined) on an '03-04 L is 6050lbs. Towing is still 5000lbs, payload is 1050lbs.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:01 PM
right the reg cab. thats why i asked wich one he was talking about.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
That article is wrong!

I read back in '99 that the Gen2 L was rated to tow 5,000lbs.

The '04 and '05 Regular Cab SRT10's are NOT rated to tow from Mopar.

Now, the new '05 Quad Cab SRT-10's (Auto Trans) are rated to tow 7,500lbs.

I owned my '99 L for 5 years and towed my Syclone (about 5,000lbs. with trailer) a few times and had no issues. Did the same thing with my SRT back in November with no issues either.

It's pretty much been determined that the Clutch is the weak point, and as specified above, imagine tossing on another 5,000lbs. and repeatedly dumping/riding the clutch. Doubt he'd get too far.

Anyway, as I'm sure with just about everyone here who uses their L to tow, I took it easy going to the strip that day and had absolutely no problems (Why wouldn't you??). I was able to release the clutch without using the gas pedal, at all, to get things moving, then slowly accelerated. Over 75 miles each way, with some stop and go traffic, and never any signs of slippage or fade. It all comes down to simple common sense.

And I don't know who started the rumor about Mopar voiding warranties just because a hitch is installed. That doesn't make sense?? They *may* be able to deny warranty coverage on the Clutch/Trans, IF they can prove you were towing AND that's what caused the problem, but that's certainly no basis for cancelling your entire vehicle warranty.

Oh,
Happy New Year to Ya's! Keep yourselves and your L's outta trouble!

Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM
it was stated in a memo at work it a hitch was installed on the reg cab srt-10 it voided all warrenty. i also met and talked to the guy incharge of the pvo group.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 PM
hmmm

i think the payload capacity of the lightning was increased 500lbs for 03. Tow stayed the same.

The clutches in the SRT10's aren't holding up with a ****. You have to love it. "Clutch will wear out prematurely if accelerating fast" Looks like Mopar and Ford have the same idea. Build 5k lb bricks that go like a rape ape, but void the drive train warranty if and when they break..........haha.

Quick Reply: SRT 10 can out tow a Lightning??