Lightning

Whos got the AEM Brute Force Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whos got the AEM Brute Force Intake?

Just wondering if anyone has the AEM Brute Force Intake intalled in there L? I would like to see how it looks installed other then just the ad pics. Curious of the size of the filter as well. Looks kind of small. Funny how there are a handful of differant size filters that get offered for our trucks and some claim to be sized specifically for our application. You have the monster filter(Air Force One) down to smaller looking ones like the Moto Blue. Does size really matter(don't even go there)?
Thanks.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I asked the same question about a month ago and the consensus seemed to be why would you buy that pile of crap when you can have a state of the art vendor made intake. Anyway here are some pics of it installed.

It's not mine so I can't answer any questions about it. I found them in my search to see one installed. It is the intake I am purchasing when I get around to it. I think it's the only complete intake on the market.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Dont worry about people getting all bent dude. I mean I have a PSP fast air right now and I like it but I miss my big *** Air Force One filter and polished intake tube. Now Im thinking about doing some modding(mix/match) where I still use all my ductwork/tubes but having it pushing the air on a non boxed filter(unless it had a shield). The look of the Brute looks good(allot of chrome) and I was reading what the kit consists of and for the price I was impressed, with the rubber trim on top as well as around the hole where the intake goes thru to the filter. The shield is well sucured also. Im curious of the filter dimensions.Im looking at this kit or go back to my AF1 but keep the ductwork so I can keep that outside air getting pushed in to the filter. I wish the filter was a bit bigger though but hell if it does the job right? When you get your set up post some pics man. Thanks I will sve these pics for referance.
Russ

Last edited by AirborneRacer; 12-26-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Fast95Z
I think it's the only complete intake on the market.
The K&N FIPK is also a complete intake but doesnt have the "bling" of the AEM. I think the question is where can one buy the AEM?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Who has the best price on this setup???

Old 12-26-2004, 10:16 PM
what size is the MAF sensor on the AEM? I see its moved into the pipe.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Thumbs up

Merry Christmas to me...

Mine is on its way. I ordered the polished style. It is by far the best looking kit out there. IMO. But I will reserve final judgement until it arrives later in the week.

I'll post pics after the install.

Jeff

Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Installed mine tonight

Coincidently, I just finished installing the AEM Brute Force on my '01 L tonight. I just sat down at my computer and this was the first thread I came to. I have not yet had a chance to drive the L since installing it because it's after 11pm and cold as hell outside. But my initial thoughts are very positive about the AEM.

I too was drawn to the AEM because it seemed like you got a lot for the money. I ordered mine from Jegs.

The filter is 9" long with a 4" inlet. It looks identical to a K&N 9" conical filter. The larger end of the cone is 6" O.D. and the smaller end is 5 1/8" O.D. You reuse you existing MAF sensor and mount it to the new tube. There is also a small hole in the tube with a grommet in it that holds the IAT sensor. I was originally afriad that the new tube and filter would be mounted rigidly to the body and not move with the engine. But the heat shield reuses the stock ruber bushings that were under the stock air box. The new tube is secured with just one rubber shock absorber to the heat shield. The hole system floats very nice and I can't imagine how a filter system would have more flexibility while maintaining its position. The kit has you replace the hose to the drivers side valve cover and the hose to the IAC. It also comes with an extension for the tiny little vacuum hose that goes into the bottom of the boot. The picture that someone posted above shows the rubber edging installed wrong. My kit came with one piece of rubber edging and it said to mount it around the inside of the hole in the heat shield that the tube goes through. Mine didn't come with any rubber moulding to put around the perimeter of the heat shield sheetmetal. But I plan on scoring some from work and putting it on the sheetmetal edges. In addition, I removed the large AEM sticker from the tube and plan on buffing it to a nice shine.

Taking my time it took me about 3 hours. I don't like doing things twice so I tend to read the directions several times and study the pictures as best as I can.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when it light outside.

Eric

Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 AM
why is it when I see AEM i think of imports and fart cans?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by TXSVTLIGHTNING
why is it when I see AEM i think of imports and fart cans?
They do make a lot of things for the import market.
But it appears they are gearing the "Brute Force" intake assemblies towards American trucks and SUVs.
I removed the AEM sticker from the intake tube because I think it looks better and I don't like advertising for anyone other than Ford. I see many ricers riding around in Richmond with enormous "APC" stickers on their cars.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Re: Installed mine tonight

Originally posted by ema100c
Coincidently, I just finished installing the AEM Brute Force on my '01 L tonight. I just sat down at my computer and this was the first thread I came to. I have not yet had a chance to drive the L since installing it because it's after 11pm and cold as hell outside. But my initial thoughts are very positive about the AEM.

I too was drawn to the AEM because it seemed like you got a lot for the money. I ordered mine from Jegs.

The filter is 9" long with a 4" inlet. It looks identical to a K&N 9" conical filter. The larger end of the cone is 6" O.D. and the smaller end is 5 1/8" O.D. You reuse you existing MAF sensor and mount it to the new tube. There is also a small hole in the tube with a grommet in it that holds the IAT sensor. I was originally afriad that the new tube and filter would be mounted rigidly to the body and not move with the engine. But the heat shield reuses the stock ruber bushings that were under the stock air box. The new tube is secured with just one rubber shock absorber to the heat shield. The hole system floats very nice and I can't imagine how a filter system would have more flexibility while maintaining its position. The kit has you replace the hose to the drivers side valve cover and the hose to the IAC. It also comes with an extension for the tiny little vacuum hose that goes into the bottom of the boot. The picture that someone posted above shows the rubber edging installed wrong. My kit came with one piece of rubber edging and it said to mount it around the inside of the hole in the heat shield that the tube goes through. Mine didn't come with any rubber moulding to put around the perimeter of the heat shield sheetmetal. But I plan on scoring some from work and putting it on the sheetmetal edges. In addition, I removed the large AEM sticker from the tube and plan on buffing it to a nice shine.

Taking my time it took me about 3 hours. I don't like doing things twice so I tend to read the directions several times and study the pictures as best as I can.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when it light outside.

Eric
ema100c,
good little preliminary right up. Definantly a well thought out and equiped "kit".
Please post some pics when you get it all squared away since there is some interest in these bad boys.
Later.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by R126
Who has the best price on this setup???
R126,
I did a little snooping around and seems like the best price I came across was from rpmoutlet.com
Something to check out. Happy hunting.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by zx12guy
The K&N FIPK is also a complete intake but doesnt have the "bling" of the AEM. I think the question is where can one buy the AEM?
rpmoutlet.com sells the AEM kits and the price is the best I have seen so far. Compare what you get with that compared to what some others are offering and there price then you decide.
Happy hunting.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the max HP that these filters can handle? I myself run the AF1 w/power tube.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Pictures

Here are some pictures of the AEM Brute Force Intake/Filter Kit installed on my 2001 L.

Evo, I did not see a max horsepower rating on the kit. When I first got the kit I measured the I.D. of the tube with a set of calipers. It is approx. 100mm. But, since you reuse your stock MAF I guess it would be the limiting factor in max HP.

Eric

Quick Reply: Whos got the AEM Brute Force Intake?