Lightning

New Jlp *full Force* Upper Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyLightning
quote:Originally posted by LightningTuner
Please explain the physics behind this new plenum. You're still drawing air through the same size TB opening, yet the plenum is twice the size of that opening. How have you managed to alter the laws of physics and make the air multiply after it passes the much smaller TB opening to take advantage of this plenum?

Looks like the Vendor wars continue

JL
Vendor wars ....its just a question ?.....shelf the "vendor war" comment, and treat it like any other question about your product so the thread stays productive

Sal, my guess is "velocity".... the increased size and lack of a restrictor plate is increasing velocity at that point T/B MAF. The MAF will sense the extra velocity drawing more air through the T/B...per cycle

Old 02-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by RED 92
Sal, my guess is "velocity".... the increased size and lack of a restrictor plate is increasing velocity at that point T/B MAF. The MAF will sense the extra velocity drawing more air through the T/B...per cycle
Actually increasing the size of the opening will reduce velocity. Imagine a running garden hose. If you put your thumb over the end of the hose, does the velocity increase?

ANS: Yes it does

However, the larger opening will reduce the restriction allowing a higher volume of air.

Last edited by 01Lightning; 02-26-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Looks cool, could be a nice cast piece but it gets the job done. Nice work JL I like it!

But I do wonder how this would increase HP when you still have to go threw the TB? If anything I don't see how anything larger then the overall size of the TB would help but thats just me trying to picture it in my head.

To me its like if you can barely squeze a golf ball threw a hose fitting at he start of the hose, its still going to be a golfball when it reaches the larger diameter of the hose. I'm no physics expert but thats just how I see it, but hey the numbers are what matters so if it works then I'm not going to argue with it.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by BigFan
Products sole purpose wasnt created for the Bling Factor, its purpose is for HP. If you grind the welds smooth your going to weaken its structure due to less weld holding it together.

I think Jerry(SCT) was right, All Lightning and Cobra Owners are concerned with is HP numbers, he forgot to mention Bling too

You guys have obviously never seen a Custom sheetmetal intake, good welds are admired vs welds that had to be ground down because they looked like bird*****.

I agree with that statement. Couldn't have said it better BigFan.

Good job johnny, Glad to see your working on new prototype parts for us and and not just relying on a tune and a bottle...

Old 02-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Products sole purpose wasnt created for the Bling Factor, its purpose is for HP. If you grind the welds smooth your going to weaken its structure due to less weld holding it together.

Just because some of us prefer a cleaner look, doesnt mean it's "BLING" ... the thing could be flat black, still would look better with ground welds.

What kind of strength do you need in an intake anyhow? Its not like the welds being ground smooth is going to make it fall apart. We weld aluminum all day at my shop, if it was a suspension part or something with weight on it then I probably wouldnt smooth it out, but then again, I dont see my suspension parts as much as my engine bay.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Nice prototype, hope all the R&D works out. What is the selling price, when are they going to be avalible, and are they only going to be in the chrome finish.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RTKILLA

But I do wonder how this would increase HP when you still have to go threw the TB? If anything I don't see how anything larger then the overall size of the TB would help but thats just me trying to picture it in my head.

To me its like if you can barely squeze a golf ball threw a hose fitting at he start of the hose, its still going to be a golfball when it reaches the larger diameter of the hose. I'm no physics expert but thats just how I see it, but hey the numbers are what matters so if it works then I'm not going to argue with it.
Lemme explain it this way for you guys who dont see the point of JLP's new product. Im in no was affiliated with any vendor, Im just using a little common sense and Mechanical background to come to conclusions.

If you have ever used a pneumatic air tool, you know that the impact gun or air ratchet has more power thru a 1/2 inch hose vs a 3/8 inch hose. Both have the same fittings on the compressor,hose and tool. The fittings (Throttlebody in our case) are not the bottleneck, its the small hose. (Plenum in our case)

Now we have Cheerleaders starting other threads on this board without even understanding the way it works. (RTKILLA this comment is in no way directed towards you)

Like I said in my 1st post the Vendor Wars are starting to begin.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I like the Fabricated look.....welds and all.

It even looks like it means business

Old 02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I detected a little sarcasm in PSP's "legit question". I dunno....maybe it's just me.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Now we have Cheerleaders starting other threads on this board without even understanding the way it works. (RTKILLA this comment is in no way directed towards you)

Like I said in my 1st post the Vendor Wars are starting to begin.
I haven't said anything pro or con about this plenum.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Sue and John, if you want a stock block, KB - L for a test mule in Bradenton, Dan's your Man!

I will be there early Friday morning well before time trials. Please remember the 95 series belt for me (as discussed earlier Sue).

Looks great!

D-Day

Old 02-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Johnny-

I like the "all business" look of the peice, very nice!

Question: think it'll work with a shaker hood?

Looks a little tight...but you'd know better.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 02-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 01Lightning
Actually increasing the size of the opening will reduce velocity. Imagine a running garden hose. If you put your thumb over the end of the hose, does the velocity increase?

ANS: Yes it does

However, the larger opening will reduce the restriction allowing a higher volume of air.

I am using velocity through the T/B only because of the incresed volume??? Hows that volume going to get there on the same cycle??? "velocity/volume"

what opening ? ? T/B's the same your garden hose is missing a supercharger....(pulling air, increasing the density not the velocity), not increasing speed because you put your thumb on the throttle body.

supercharger increases velocity accross the MAF on the front side with this new plenum .......with epanded volume (bigger plenum)..."pressure and density" on the back side.. It gets way to complicated for me. Can you take a stab at why this plenum makes more power with the same size T/B?...you can spray that garden hose as hard as you want I was just asking the same question as Sal....and Sal have you sent my FVTB !!!!

Last edited by RED 92; 02-27-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
I e mailed you private for this response GATOR
I e-mailed you my response to your response, Pal

I might be biased, but I love the look of welds

Old 02-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
Please explain the physics behind this new plenum. You're still drawing air through the same size TB opening, yet the plenum is twice the size of that opening. How have you managed to alter the laws of physics and make the air multiply after it passes the much smaller TB opening to take advantage of this plenum?

Quick Reply: New Jlp *full Force* Upper Plenum