King Ranch

Tomas has yet another problem I can't pinpoint

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tomas has yet another problem I can't pinpoint

Ok, now that his tires are rotated and they are now properly torqued down and I have put 600 miles on them since the rotation I am still getting this rub/vibration/not sure really how to describe it, in the front tires. It is driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

Old 07-17-2002, 12:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah... um... okay.... from the given description of the problem, it could be anything that moves on the vehicle.

If you'd like for us to throw ideas your way on our opinions on what it might be.... you might want to be a tad more precise with the description.

At this point, I believe that you just ran over a bean bag chair and it's caught on your rear diff and you're hearing it as it drags down the road. Also, have you noticed little styrofoam pelletts everywhere that you've been? If so, you've probably ripped the bean bag chair open. This is a difficult problem to fix and I don't believe that the dealership will be willing to cover the chair under warranty. Good luck though.

RP

Old 07-17-2002, 12:04 PM
LOL very funny Rock......no no bean bag chair in the rear diff.

I only feel it in the front tires....at first I thought maybe it was just the tread, but after 600 miles it should be worn down right? I know this....I didn't feel this before the tire rotation....it is a constant vibration that is extremely suttle....to the point the Joe hasn't noticed it and he has driven my truck several times since the rotation. You can't hear anything you can only feel it....and as a passanger you don't notice it.....does this help? I am sorry guys I am not a mechanic nor an engineer so I don't know all the fancy technical terms.

oh and no I am not imagining this.....it is real and it is driving me crazy.....and please don't reply with "that is a short trip"

Old 07-17-2002, 12:19 PM
have the local ford shop rebalance your tires. i think they'll do it for free for the first year of ownership if you complain that there is a problem...

Old 07-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks I will try that tonight.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:14 PM
try the balance thing, probably the problem. if it still persists then have them balanced on the truck. it's an old trick that many shops won't do but has fixed many an old car shimmy.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Joe just told me it wasn't the balance because it is a constant thing at any speed.....he thinks that maybe......eeeck......rust......so gonna jack up the truck take the tire off and see before I trek down to the dealership in Toledo.....until then I guess I will be driving the ricer.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:32 PM
and it just rusted when you rotated your tires. try reversing your rotation first and seeing where that gets you, that way you might be able to localize it to the wheel. btw, what was supposed to be rusted to cause this type of problem?

Old 07-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Ya gotta ask the genious that one pkagel.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:34 PM
tell him to reply online here

Old 07-17-2002, 03:41 PM
LOL......funny, very funny......you know you can't "TELL" a man to do anything.......geeesh......as a man I would think you knew that.

Old 07-17-2002, 03:45 PM
skagel,

i also suggest that when you take the truck in...go and drive a new one on the lot to see if it does it. you might just be supersensitive to something that was always there but your senses weren't heightened until you decided to pay extra attention after the tire rotation. the fact that the boyfriend doesn't notice it leads me to believe this might be the case...

Old 07-17-2002, 03:49 PM
I have driven my mom's.....which still has less then 1,500 on it and I feel nothing. but I think I will drive another one anyways just for fun.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:59 PM
vibration

I hate to say it Skagel but,... I think I know what you are hearing. The tires on our trucks seem to get a little noisy after they've broken in. Mine has had some slight shoulder wear on the left front tire. After this slight wear pattern started I noticed a little whine from my front end that I hadn't noticed before. Mine is only a 4x2 so I'm sure the 4X4 will have a little more noise. I drove a buddy of mines 99 S/C 4x4 last weekend with 55K miles and his tire whine was similar in sound to mine but louder. He is ready for a 2nd set of tires.

Keep in mind you do have a truck, a nice one but, it will be a little noisier than say a Lincoln.

If you trust your dealers opinion and he doesnt find any mechanical problems I'd drive it. Just my 2 cents!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=2110

Old 07-17-2002, 09:56 PM
bubba,

sounds like you need an alignment...uneven tire wear is a strong indication.

btw, i have never noticed any whine from my tires on either the current s-crew or the '01. i can hear rear axle whine around 50 mph, but that's it...

Quick Reply: Tomas has yet another problem I can't pinpoint