King Ranch

rusty doors...!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rusty doors...!

hey gang,

i just talked to me sister. she own's a 99 expedition and just told me that all four of her doors are being replaced because rust is forming on the bottom of the doors!! what the hell??? she only has 35k miles on her truck. needless to say, she isn't very happy. ford just replaced the entire engine (5.4l) because of a blown head gasket. now this...

i guess i'll have to keep an eye on my s-crew's doors. those suckers better not rust! i do remember reading that ford has had some problems with door skins, but i'd never heard of rust problems. what is this, circa 1970?? this kinda peeves me...sorry just had to vent a little.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:07 AM
EEEEEECK.....cancer no, not cancer...it can't be...I will have not have my tomas getting cancer.....sorry to hear of your sisters probems though....not sure, but my b/f 00' scab has cancer in the doors too....I sure hope this problem was fixed for our precious KR's.....

Old 03-18-2002, 08:16 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a prime example on why you wax any surface that has paint on it. Thus, be sure that when wax time comes around, make sure you wax the outside and INSIDE of the doors around the seals and everywhere else that it's painted. The wax will provide a certain level of protection however, it certainly isn't the cure.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm willing to bet that it's rusting from the inside out, so there's nothing you can do aside from putting some silicone around the window felt pieces so you can't open the windows anymore.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As dufunnel has mentioned, it's probably from the inside out. VERY tough to deal with. Good luck...

Old 03-18-2002, 02:37 PM
another old trick is to put boiled linseed oil in the door and let it sit and then drain the excess out. we've done this for years on old vw heater channels and it works great. sad to see that this is happening on such new vehicles though. those of you who drive your vehicles in the salt might want to pull the door panels off of your trucks and check it out and have ford fix it before you end up with holes in your doors also because the paint you have will be very hard to match up correctly.

Old 03-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Thumbs down

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! If I catch any of you driving your KR's in the salt I will be forced to confiscate your baby for neglect!!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 02:40 PM
i just find it very strange that in '02 i'm hearing about a '99 rusting out!! apparently something is wrong with the way ford is prepping the doors before they are painted, or the water is not draining out properly. hummm...i'm gonna have to look at my doors more closely.

Old 03-18-2002, 05:06 PM
ever been to michigan, everything rusts out, heck, plastic rusts out there they salt the roads so much.

Old 03-18-2002, 05:39 PM
HA HA

You should all move to Dallas. If the roads get icy...they close everything down. Sand is the only thing they put down on the road. Hell, I haven't EVER seen rust on a car here....they all have Michigan plates!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Warranty against rust?

What kind of warranty against rust does FORD issue on it's trucks?

I looked today and there a little rust on my doors, but it's the edge of the door skin that was bent into making the bottom edge of the doors. It's started on both my front doors and my supercab doors as well, but it's probably a while away from actually rusting through. And yes, i'm from michigan as well.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:19 PM
i lived in houston in 89 when they had the 1/4 inch "blizzard", LOL, and it shut down nearly everything, most funny thing ever.

as far as warranty goes most auto manufactures offer warranties which only cover you if it rusts from the insid out and forms a hole other than that they basically can tell you where to go and where to put it if you try to get anything else covered. that is unless you are on very good terms with your dealer. after you fix the problem POR-15 the insides of your doors or do the linseed trick i mentioned earlier.

Old 03-18-2002, 06:38 PM
i'm pretty sure ford's corrosion protection warranty is 6 years/100k...

Old 03-18-2002, 08:35 PM
but if you read that warranty you'll see that it is nearly impossible to get them to replace anything otherwise they would be fixing half the vehicles in michigan and the northeast due to salt. basically it has to rust from the inside out and not due to being chipped, just due to improper metal prep which basically leaves the only place that could possibly rust out like that is the inside of the doors which is rather rare compared to fenders rusting through.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:40 PM
well, from what i've been reading, ford truck doors seem to be rusting out faster than any other body panels. hopefully i won't ever have to invoke my corrosion warranty.

Quick Reply: rusty doors...!