King Ranch

Leather Conditioner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Leather Conditioner...

I'm planning on conditioning my seats this weekend with the King Ranch conditioner that Ford sent in the promo kit. My question is concerning the amount of conditioner to use. I've read the instructions on the bottle however, it doesn't seem like that will be adequate to properly condition the seats. Has anyone already done this with their seats? If so, how much of that bottle did you use? Did you find ways that made the process easier or more efficient?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while looking through my fathers many, many, and did i say many books on automotive...well anything to do with anything with and engine...i found a small book on how to properly care for leather...in it it states that you should obviously clean the leather first, but put the conditioner on the leather and pay special attention to the seems and leave it on for at least 24 hours. what helps, but we can't do it now because it is winter, but to park your truck in the sun, roll up the windows and let the conditioner bake into the leather then buff off the excess conditioner....this process leaves the seat unbelievable smooth and soft. also if you don't want to pay the high $ for the KR conditioner from the KR saddle shop go to a tractor supply store or any store that sell horse saddles and supplies and pick up some of the conditioner they use on there saddles....it is cheap and works great....compliments of pkagel....are ya happy alan?

Old 01-23-2002, 02:07 PM
as an addition to what sarah has wrote i have to add to stay away from any conditioner containing "neets foot oil" as it tends to weaken threads although it is great for the leather itself. as with anything new or different check in a unseen location first. sarah used the stuff i bought her on the kranch notbook she got for free as it has the same leather on it as the seats. sarah, post the name of the oil so everyone can benifit as i forgot the name of it. it was about 4.35$ for about 2.5 times as much as comes in the bottle you get with the truck which costs 9 bucks if i remember correctly. tell ya'll what, i would just love to get some of the leather that goes in one of your trucks and do it in my bug as that has got to be the most beautiful interior i've ever seen and this includes anything i've seen comming out of italy.

Old 01-23-2002, 02:15 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-05-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:50 PM
well, i figure that these cows probably don't work for ford so the leather is available somewhere before ford gets it and for much cheaper to be certain

Old 01-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Moderator &

Thumbs up More info...

Thanks for the help guys and gals....

How much did you all use when you did the seats? It's looking like it'll be a balmy 55+ and sunny here in Louisville this weekend so, I'm thinking about 'baking' it once I do the conditioning. I might even crank it up and let the heat go to town on the interior (I'll pop the hood to keep it cool).

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the conditioner? Any tips on what/where/how?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN FELLOW KR's.

Old 01-24-2002, 10:09 PM
i've heard to use a whole bottle but obviously have never done it myself. as far as treating it goes though. your best bet would be to clean the leather and let dry then heat it up real good and then apply the conditioner and let soak in overnight. the next day buff off the excess.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:08 AM
I have done mine a few times.I only used about a 1/3 bottle each time.I don't think thats enough.I will be doing them again in 2 weeks and I think I am going to be very generous with the conditioner this time.I will let everyone know the outcome....
I contacted Lexol to find out if their conditioner would be alright to use on Castano and they had no clue and said to ask Ford.So I'm just going to stick with the K/R conditioner I know its safe.I ordered some a little over a month ago.Its $9.00 a bottle and shipping is $7.00.I ordered 2 to try to offset the shipping cost and save a little money in the future.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:17 AM
How soon?

My question is how long should you wait to use the conditioner? Or how soon should you use it?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 01-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Moderator &

I think Ford reccomends TWICE per year. Not 110% sure on that but, I'd say that should be a bare minimum.

Old 01-26-2002, 02:24 PM
I've used mine twice already, and mine is only 7 months old. I noticed some slight lines in the leather from wear, so I conditioned the seats and it helped quite a bit. I plan on keeping with that regiment.

Old 01-26-2002, 05:02 PM
honestly guys the stuff my much older brother got me for saddles that cost less then $5 for 16oz works just as good actually i thought it worked better then KR stuff ford sent us. as pkagel said we tested it on the leather folder thing they sent me made out of the same leather. and as for how often you should condition your leather..guess that all depends on how much you drive you baby and what climate you live in....of course just like your truck can never be to clean i suppose it is also impossible to over condition the leather. i live in the ice hole of michigan and have done mine twice and my baby is 3.5 months old and has 3k miles on him.

Old 01-27-2002, 04:01 PM
Moderator &

Please Please Tell Me...

Okay, Conditioning complete. First, PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS SMELL GOES AWAY... I hate the chemical smell of conditioner when I get in.

Also, I've noticed a 'slightly white' tent to the leather since I conditioned. I've buffed it once, should I buff it again? Maybe with a 'very slightly damp' cloth?

Any insight? Thanks!

Old 01-27-2002, 06:23 PM
get yourself a microfiber cloth towel and then dampen it slightly and it should be fine. sounds like the seats were cold when you buffed them also, get them about 80 degrees or more and it will buff better. you might also try the stuff i bought sarah as it has more of a saddle smell and smelled quite nice to me but then i grew up in texas and oregon so what do i know, the more country the better to me.

Old 01-27-2002, 06:50 PM
Moderator &

Rebuffed... Looks Good...Smells Bad

It looks good now... took a little more elbow grease. Still smells like a toxic waste dump.

What is the name of that stuff that you mentioned or gave sarah? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Leather Conditioner...