King Ranch

Just curious - how many KRs out there with 6.5' bed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious - how many KRs out there with 6.5' bed?

Just recently traded in my '99 SuperCab w/6.5' bed in for an '07 KR Screw.

I had my old truck & new truck parked next to each other right before I left the dealership and swear they were they same length. Naturally I assumed that my cab was 1 foot longer and the bed was 1 foot shorter (5.5' bed). I was a little bummed about loosing bed length but definately looking forward to the extra room inside with 3 kids to haul around on the weekends.

Anyway, after loading a bunch of lumber into it tonight from Home Depot it got me wondering if I had the longer bed given how much I was able to pack in there. I measured it when I got home and turns out I have the 6.5' bed.

I always assumed that the 5.5' was standard on the Screw - just curious how many 6.5' there were out there.

Also, I'm looking at tonneaus (specifically the the bakflip G2) - anything I should watch out for? I noticed that they only have 5.5' listed as an option for the Screws. Am I safe just ordering a cover for a Supercab with 6.5' bed?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will tell you that I've not seen many with the 6.5' option. Only a couple, in fact.

There aren't many of you out there...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Since they seemed to be the same length, I wonder if the "nose" of the new truck is shorter than the old one? My guess is , that's what it was (and what threw you off).

I have the 5.5 foot "short" bed, but I really don't miss the extra half foot I used to have in my Nissan Frontier, since I have a much wider and deeper bed in the Ford. If I have to haul long things, I just put the tailgate down (a tailgate extender helps here too, and I have one of those).

I'm not sure a 6.5 bed truck would fit in my garage. It's a tight fit already with the short bed.

You must have a LOOOONG truck!

- Jack

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
funny thing is that it does not feel longer than the '99

Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I have one

I have an 07 KR W/ the 6.5' Bed. I have stock pictures in my Gallery, but now I have the 2" level, Magnaflow SIDO the back, Bed Cover, tinted windows and Bull Bar.

Must say, I absolutly love it. Its hard(er) to park than my old Supcab FX4, but that is the only down fall. Besides, I park out in no mans land, so I really dont care.

It tows my boat great and I have plenty of storage are for whatever I need to put in the truck. Its great!

I can say, in the Cape Canaveral/Orlando area, I have yet to see another KR with the 6.5' bed. I have seen a few FX4's and XLT's, but no KR's.

Guess that would make me somewhat rare

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
hey smcconghie my truck looks just like yours but i have chrome tube nerfbars but it is the same color with 6.5 bed 4x4 07 KR. i went look at a retrax bed cover and a bedrug for mine yesterday, i like them both but they want 1674.00 installed. don,t know if i want to spend that much or if it is a good deal but i really like the retrax cover because it seats flush with the bed being that the bed rails on the truck are not black.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by f150boudreaux
hey smcconghie my truck looks just like yours but i have chrome tube nerfbars but it is the same color with 6.5 bed 4x4 07 KR. i went look at a retrax bed cover and a bedrug for mine yesterday, i like them both but they want 1674.00 installed. don,t know if i want to spend that much or if it is a good deal but i really like the retrax cover because it seats flush with the bed being that the bed rails on the truck are not black.
check out the bakflip G2 as well. I had the same concern - wanted it to sit between the bedrails because of the pueblo gold colored bedrails

http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I Have One Too

Hi! I have an '08 KR Screw, 4x4, Forest Green, with 6.5' box.

Ford says the overall length of the 6.5' is 230", and of the 5.5' is 223.8", 6.2" difference. (Wonder where the other 11.8" went?)

Rich

Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by r95018
Hi! I have an '08 KR Screw, 4x4, Forest Green, with 6.5' box.

Ford says the overall length of the 6.5' is 230", and of the 5.5' is 223.8", 6.2" difference. (Wonder where the other 11.8" went?)

Rich
I think you MEANT to say 5.8", but you raise an interesting question. Wonder if the bed fits closer to the cab, or maybe the rear bumper does not protrude as much (or both).

Can't believe they'd redesign the body (cab, engine compartment) to save a bit of length.

- Jack

Old 03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I also have the 6.5 bed and im glad ido for the extra room.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
My neighbor has a white KR 4x4 with the 6.5, it looks pretty nice. For a while, I honestly didn't know they offered the supercrew with the 6.5, but I kept seeing his truck and thinking to myself that his looked longer than normal. They look good both ways.

Mine is 5.5 though.

Last edited by Jaho1979; 03-22-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
In moonachie NJ land I own a 6 1/2 07 K,R copper metallic.
I am happy I opted for the reverse sensor since that foot makes a big difference.

Equipped with top of the line ARE color match copper cap with fold down front window tux hanger remote auto lock opening and locking . . Other accessories included Moonroof ,audiophile ,tow package , powersliding rear window,reverse sensor, In ford and after nav sony(model Nv-U83T 4.8 display bluetooth touch and traffic model ) remote starter, bed rug,color coordinated bug shield, and rear LED light bar.
When I figure out how to take a picture I will post.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I just got my '08 KR in white with a 6.5' bed. Absolutely love it, even thought it is a little longer than my '01 Lariat with a 5.5' bed. Just had a Leer 700 tonneau put on last night and am very pleased so far. My only problem is that it covered the gold bedrail trim, which sort of broke up the all the white. Have to give it a little time to see I need to possibly add a pinstripe or something.

Has anyone put on mudflaps? Don't really want to do this, but the 20" tires kick up a lot of dirt & mud. None of the Ford mudflaps fit the KR and I want this to look good. Thinking of possibly just putting them on the front to keep the side of the truck from getting as dirty.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by TaiTai
Has anyone put on mudflaps? Don't really want to do this, but the 20" tires kick up a lot of dirt & mud. None of the Ford mudflaps fit the KR and I want this to look good. Thinking of possibly just putting them on the front to keep the side of the truck from getting as dirty.
Look down about 4-5 threads for one about "splash guards for KR". I thiink you'll find some thoughts there.

And, congrats on your new truck!

- Jack

Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 PM
It was hard to find a 6.5 ft bed

My dealer had to go 275 miles to find the longer bed with the 35.7 gallon fuel tank and reverse camera that I wanted. At the time there were only two trucks in Texas that were equipped that way.

Quick Reply: Just curious - how many KRs out there with 6.5' bed?