Leather Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Maintenance

Hey Guys,

What are you using for the leather upkeep in these trucks? My truck is going on about 5 months old and I want to make sure that I take care of the seats. any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 075SpdSTX
Hey Guys,

What are you using for the leather upkeep in these trucks? My truck is going on about 5 months old and I want to make sure that I take care of the seats. any suggestions? Thanks!
I have used the following products for 20 years with excellent results.

For general cleaning I use Lexoral Leather Cleaner,
for leather conditioning I use Connolly Hide Food (aka RollsRoyce, Harley, Volvo, Maserati leather conditioner)
With any conditioner, avoid contact with the threads...regardless what anyone might think, when conditioner comes in contact with the threads it's absorbed, attracts dirt and slowly destroys the threads...
Even in desert climates, I used the Connolly Hyde Cream 2 times/annual, to this day the Leather in the 1997 cougar looks great!, with one crack starting on the bead on the drivers side.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
I have used the following products for 20 years with excellent results.

For general cleaning I use Lexoral Leather Cleaner,
for leather conditioning I use Connolly Hide Food (aka RollsRoyce, Harley, Volvo, Maserati leather conditioner)
With any conditioner, avoid contact with the threads...regardless what anyone might think, when conditioner comes in contact with the threads it's absorbed, attracts dirt and slowly destroys the threads...
Even in desert climates, I used the Connolly Hyde Cream 2 times/annual, to this day the Leather in the 1997 cougar looks great!, with one crack starting on the bead on the drivers side.
Ford/GM/Chrysler/MB/Porsche all have service directives that specifically refer to leather cleaning / conditioning procedures and Lexoral & Connolly Hide Food are not a referred procedure.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Ford/GM/Chrysler/MB/Porsche all have service directives that specifically refer to leather cleaning / conditioning procedures and Lexoral & Connolly Hide Food are not a referred procedure.

Actually Connolly Hyde Food is what Ford sells in their own label, Volvo as well.....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
The leather in most vehicles now have a coating on the leather and need very minimal care compared to the Castano leather that was used in the King Ranch trucks up until 2010 that required a pretty intense cleaning/conditioning regimen. The 2008 Tahoe LTZ that I just detailed the interior of has 108,000 miles on it and the leather looks brand new and only required me to wipe the seats with a damp clothe to clean them. In fact most leather seats in the newer vehicles are not even leather if you read the dealer sticker they are leather trimmed meaning that a majority of the seat in actually vinyl.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Which in my opinion Dave is a waste of money. I'd rather have an XLT and add leather in like katzkin. The manual even says don't use petroleum based products on it

Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
In fact most leather seats in the newer vehicles are not even leather if you read the dealer sticker they are leather trimmed meaning that a majority of the seat in actually vinyl.
X2 we had a Taurus SES that was decked out.. The leather seats were barely leather, i always said they were more vinyl than anything. The brother in laws 06 Lariat has the same seats, you can tell they have the plastic coating on them..

Just grab a warm wet rag and clean em.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Connolly is the best, it's what they use for Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the Pinnacle Leather Interior Care kit.

Quick Reply: Leather Maintenance